We have reviewed the best narrow walkers for seniors. If you are in a hurry, the table below gives a quick snapshot of the top 6.
Walkers for seniors are essential mobility aid devices that help them move around independently as well as confidently. 24% of the people above the age of 65 use mobility devices to move around according to a study done in 2011.
If you live in a place where the doorways and corridors are narrower than the standard 24-25 inches, or you need the walker to go to the restroom which has a narrower doorway than the rest of the house, you would prefer a narrow walker.
We have collected here the best narrow walkers for seniors. Let us begin with our top choice.
Our Top Choice – Medline Narrow Walker For Seniors
The Medline Rollator Walker with Seat, Steel Rolling Walker with 6-inch Wheels Supports up to 350 lbs, Medical Walker, Burgundy is our top choice for Best Narrow Walkers For Seniors.
This is one of the most petite rollator walkers on the market, with a wheel-to-wheel width of only 21 inches and a distance between handles of 17.5 inches.
Despite its narrow frame, the walker is strong and stable enough to support a weight of 350 pounds.
Some of the other great features on this walker are given below:
- This is a height-adjustable walker, with the handle grips being adjustable between a height of 31 to 35 inches, therefore making it suitable for most people under the height of 6 ft. 4 in.
- It has 6 inch smooth wheels which are great for usage both inside and outside the house. If you are going to the market, you will not have to depend on someone else to take you!
- Despite a 350 pounds weight capacity, this rollator weighs a mere 19 pounds, which means you can easily carry it with you anywhere you go.
- Apart from its low weight, folds really easily and takes up very little space when folded.
- There are a padded seat and backrest for user comfort when you want to take a break from walking
- Braking the rollator is really easy with handbrakes at your fingertips. You can lock the brakes right there from the brake handles
- There is a convenient storage bag for your belongings provided under the seat.
- Keeping the proverbial best for last – the rollator is extremely easy to assemble. Zero tools are required and a single person can do it within minutes
Best Narrow Walkers For Seniors
#1 Medline Narrow Walker For Seniors
The Medline Narrow Walker is very ergonomic, basic, and effective. Seniors find it very easy to use the walker. The walker has an additional seat, which can be used to sit and relax when the user is tired of walking, and the fatigue starts to set in.
The walker makes walking and performing daily chores a very easy task. The movement of the narrow walker is much smoother than a traditional medical walker. They also have bulky as well as heavy designs. It has a lock brake mechanism, which makes maneuverability very easy. Its dimensions are 21.5″ length, 7.5″ Width, and 18.8″ height.
- The maximum load capacity of 350 pounds due to the sturdy and firm frame of the walker.
- 6″ wide wheels ideal for both indoor and outdoor surfaces and can run smoothly on all types of surfaces.
- The seat and the backrest of the walker have soft cushion padding to provide the user with a highly comfortable experience.
- The armrests of the walker have a height adjustment feature that can change from 31″ to 35″, making it suitable for people of different heights and sizes.
- The handles also have a handlebar of size 17.5″ between them, which provides extra support.
- The seat height is 20.5″, which is not adjustable.
- Ensure the brakes are locked before sitting on the seat or else the walker will collapse.
#2 Carex Narrow Walkers For Seniors
The Carex narrow walker for seniors is like a boon for them as they can boost confidence and freedom with the help of this walker. The walker’s frame is very durable and strong, as it is made out of high-quality aluminum. It has a folding design, which makes the walker very portable and easy to use.
The narrow walker’s maximum weight capacity is 250 pounds with a narrow width of 6.1″, length 21.2″ and height 21.6″. The wheels of the narrow walker are 6″ wide, providing the walker with high-end maneuverability and mobility.
- The frame of the walker is pretty lightweight as it just weighs about 19 pounds.
- Seat height is adjustable for the slim walker as it has three different height settings, which are 18″, 21″ and 23″ suitable for a wide range of users.
- Dual locking ergonomic handbrakes that ensure the safety of the user.
- The walker does not require any external tools or help for assembly and is very simple and basic to assemble.
- Does not include any instruction manual.
- Assembly of the walker can be complicated for some older adults.
You might be interested in reading: Best Narrow Width Self Propelled Wheelchairs
#3 ELENKER Folding Upright Walker for Seniors
A walker with a seat and armrest, what more can you ask? The ELENKER upright walker is best suited for seniors and adults. The height is such that you can walk with it keeping your back straight.
What I like about this walker is its armrest that gives maximum support to your arms while walking so that your shoulders do not take all the stress. The 10-inch wheels and the sturdy swivel front wheels ensure a smooth ride for you both indoors and outdoors.
The ergonomic hand brakes are just smooth enough to not lead to any additional pressure on your wrist while applying it. The compact design and easy assembly allow you to store the walker anywhere around the house or park it in any corner.
It comes with a polyester pouch and a cane holder to keep your hands free while walking. If you are tired from walking, you can rest on the comfortable seat with a backrest, having its dimensions as 18″ in length, 10″ in-depth, and 24″ in height. Ensure that you push the handbrake in front to lock the rear wheels while you sit on the walker seater.
- You can stand upright while walking with an Elenker upright walker
- It is height adjustable to suit almost anyone
- The mesh seat is breathable and ensures that you get the ultimate comfort while you take a rest.
- Not just a storage bag, it comes with a cane holder to help you keep your hands free while walking.
- Responsive customer support, and you have to wait only for 24 hours for a response to your email.
- The compact design and easy assembly make it a great buy.
- It sometimes tends to toggle a little if you do not have the brakes in place.
#4 Karman Healthcare Narrow Walker For Seniors
The Karman Healthcare walker is an extremely functional and narrow walker for senior citizens. Its width is just 23 inches, the length is 23 inches, and the height is 35 inches. The frame of the walker is rigid, sturdy, which makes the walker extremely reliable. Apart from having a reliable frame, it is also very lightweight, with its weight just 11 pounds.
The walker’s upholstery is removable and machine washable, which makes the walker very user-friendly and hygienic. People who suffer from joint pains can have an immediate relieving effect when they use this walker.
- The handles have ergonomic loop hand brakes, which are very easy to use.
- Padded soft cushion backrest and seat, which are extremely comfortable and relaxing. The seat to floor height of the walker is 18.5″ inches.
- The maximum load capacity of the narrow walker is 250 pounds.
- Lower seat, which increases the stability of the walker and enhances the load capacity.
- Additional removable basket used to store or carry important items.
- Height-adjustable handlebar.
- The seat height cannot be adjusted.
- It may be too small for very tall users.
You might be interested in reading: Best Narrow Electric Wheelchairs
#5 Nova Medical Narrow Walker For Seniors
The Nova Medical Narrow Walker For Seniors is a very helpful medical aid mobility device. It helps a lot of senior citizens having mobility and pain in joint issues. This walker caters to all people’s size needs as it is available in 3 different sizes, which are the classic, the junior, and the petite. Different sizes allow the user base to increase massively.
The narrow width of the walker is 22″ with length 9.25 “and height 31”. The narrow width makes the walker suitable to pass through narrow stairways, passages, elevators and so on. The seat of the walker is 2″ thick with comfortable padding, durable and very easy to clean. This protects the walker from the accumulation of bacteria and germs.
- It has 6″ wide flat wheels that are all-terrain friendly and run smoothly, whether indoors or outdoors.
- The narrow walker also has a unique patented feather touch braking system which provides maximum comfort to the user. It is easy to use and gives out powerful stopping speed with minimal effort.
- The lightweight frame of the walker makes it easy to access for the elderly with just a weight of 13 pounds.
- The height of seat from the floor is 18.5″.
- The maximum load capacity of the slim walker is 300 pounds.
- The seat can be small for plus-sized people.
- The Assembly process of the walker can be difficult for seniors.
#6 Oasisspace Narrow Upright Walker For Seniors
The Oasisspace Narrow Walker is a very slim, compact, and narrow walker for the elderly. Despite having a narrow design, the walker has a high load capacity of 300 pounds. Heavy load capacity is due to the reliability and durability of the sturdy frame of the walker.
The walker’s frame is very narrow and is sleek enough to pass through all sizes of doors without any hindrance. The narrow walker dimensions are 23″ length, 18″ inches width, and 17″ inches height. Its width is ideal to pass through narrow spaces and paths easily.
- The walker has height adjustable armrests to provide customizable comfort to the user. The height of the armrest changes from 40″ to 45.6″.
- The walker seriously reduces pain on joints like knees, arms, wrists, shoulders, neck, and so on.
- It is very lightweight as it just weighs about 19 pounds and is easily portable from one place to another.
- The walker has a detachable bar that supports the user’s spine while sitting and acts as a vertical bar when the user is standing.
- 10″ front wheels and 8″ rear wheels with ergonomic handbrakes for better stopping and parking power.
- The walker can tip over bumps or potholes.
- The seat can be too small for plus-sized people to sit on.
You might be interested in reading: What Are the Different Walking Assistance Devices for the Elderly?
What Should You Look For Before Buying a Narrow Walker for Seniors?
The ideal walker must have a very solid and firm frame that can easily support a person’s body weight. It should also have a good maximum load capacity to provide stability. The fee should be made out of highly durable and reliable substances such as steel or aluminum.
Narrow Design makes the walker very compact and ideal for tight spaces. Older adults who don’t have much space to store large and bulky walkers can easily store the narrow walkers. The narrow walkers also easily pass through stairways, elevators, doors, and alleys. They are much easier to control and carry around. Narrow walkers have great mobility as well as maneuverability.
Sturdy And Wide Wheels
The wheels of an ideal walker must be flat and have anti-skid Design on them. This Design helps prevents a lot of injuries and accidents. The pattern on the wheels increases the friction between the floor and the road. Greater friction makes the walker sturdy and easy to balance. The wheels’ surface area should be wide as well as they can make a good grip while moving.
The ideal walker gives its users the ability to change the walker’s size best fitting their size and needs. A walker with customizable height options appeals to a wider audience as various sizes and weights can be supported by the walker. This also makes the walker suitable for short or tall people and plus-sized and normal people.
You might be interested in reading: All You Need to Know About Walkers
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Are walkers safe for the elderly?
Yes, walkers are safe for the elderly as they have a lot of safety features that ensure the user’s safety. Some of these features are strong and durable brakes, lockable seats, anti-skid all-terrain wheels, anti-tipping Design, and so on.
Q: How narrow a walker should be to pass through doors?
For any walker to pass through, a door should have a width lesser than 23 inches as most of the doors have a width within this range. A narrow walker can pass through all sizes of doors easily but can also be easy to maneuver.
Q: What is the difference between a rollator and a walker?
The basic difference between a rollator and a walker is the absence of wheels. A traditional walker does not have wheels, and the user needs to drag the walker, whereas a rollator has wheels that need to be pushed around.
Q: Do walkers have customizable height?
Yes, plenty of narrow walkers available in the market have height customizable options in them. Some of these options are changing the height of the seat, height of the armrests, and height of the walkers’ legs.
You might be interested in reading: How to Protect Hardwood Floors From Walkers
If you live in a place that has narrow doorways and corridors, it can be difficult to find a wheelchair or rollator that you can comfortably use inside your home. Many washrooms that were designed in an earlier era did not have wide doorways. Lastly, sometimes you have a lot of stuff in your home, which means that your corridors are smaller than what they should be.
In all these cases you need a walker that is narrow enough to pass through your corridors easily. Hopefully if you were looking for such a product, our article would have provided you with the right direction.
In this article, we have selected the Best Narrow Walkers For Seniors based on the features mentioned in our buyer’s guide and the ratings and comments mentioned by actual users on Amazon.
In our opinion, the Medline Rollator Walker with Seat, Steel Rolling Walker with 6-inch Wheels Supports up to 350 lbs, Medical Walker, Burgundy is the best choice among the various options that we have considered because despite its petite frame and small size (only 19 pounds), this is a really strong walker that can support weights of even upto 350 pounds, an amazing feat. Apart from this, it has all the modern features of rollators and is even height adjustable at the handlebars.
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the Carex Step 'N Rest Aluminum Rollator Walker with Seat, Black - Rolling Walker for Seniors with Back Support, 6 Inch Wheels, 250lbs Support, Lightweight Folding Walker, which offers great value and features at a very reasonable price point.
While we make every effort to provide updated and correct information, the advice given in this article and website should not be construed as “medical advice”. Please consult with your physician or medical practitioner before using any narrow walker. Each individual may have his or her unique issues and your medical practitioner is the best person to decide the best narrow walkers for seniors.
We are your best source of information on all types of mobility devices. Explore our wide coverage on rollators and accessories here:
- 6 Best Rollator Walkers for Rough Surfaces
- The Best Rollator Walker for a Tall Person
- What is the Lightest Weight Rollator Walker?
- Our Favorite Rollator Walker Accessories
- Best Posterior Walker Or Gait Trainer
- Best Bags for Wheelchairs and Walkers
- Trays and Baskets for Walkers
- Best Area Rugs for Wheelchair Users