There are close to 2.7 million wheelchair users in the United States, and with an aging population, this number is growing rapidly. While electric wheelchairs give wheelchair users freedom of being out and about, manual wheelchairs can also be a great option for travel, especially when you are on a budget.
In this article, we have reviewed the best manual travel wheelchair. If you are in a hurry, the table below gives a quick snapshot of the top 6.
If you use a wheelchair and tend to travel a lot you might find yourself wishing for a good travel wheelchair, that is lightweight, folds compactly, can be used on any terrain and still give you all the comforts of a normal wheelchair.
There are several manual travel wheelchair options in the market, all of which offer a flexible and lightweight option to make travel a bit easier.
This article gets together a list of the best manual travel wheelchairs based on performance, durability, and other features. It will help you to know what kind of features to look for while selecting the best manual travel wheelchair.
Our top Choice – NOVA Lightweight Transport Chair
The NOVA Lightweight Transport Chair with Locking Hand Brakes, 12" Rear Wheels, Removable & Flip Up Arms for Easy Transfer, Anti-Tippers Included, Red is our top choice for the Best manual travel wheelchair because this chair is ideal for travel and safety.
This wheelchair is designed as the best lightweight, compact, and foldable wheelchair. The patented hand brake locks give full security to older people.
Some of its best features are:
- 12 inch rugged rear wheels, meant to travel and conquer any and every terrain
- Locking hand brakes to control the speed and put in parking
- Flip-up and removable padded desk arms for easy transfers from bed to chair and vice versa
- Folds easily and very compactly. Can be put away or carried everywhere in the trunk of your car
- Most versatile designs on hard surfaces.
- Footrests are easy to lock and remove.
- Easy to get in and out of your car.
- The lightweight aluminum frame makes it easy to lift it.
- Small storage pouch for carrying your things on every journey.
- Smooth and comfortable ride chair.
- Capable of carrying weights of up to 300 pounds, and weighs only 27 pounds itself
Best Manual Travel Wheelchair
#1 NOVA Lightweight Transport Chair
NOVA Lightweight Transport Chair is one of the most versatile travel chairs in the market. The wheelchair offers customers a variety of amazing features.
This transport wheelchair is designed to provide easy, lightweight transport. The unique design of this wheelchair gives a simple way to maneuver it and folds it when you are going on a holiday.
This safety chair features feather touch locking hand brakes. It is a must for inclines, slopes, and bumpy terrains.
You can easily control the speed and stability of this transport chair. Moreover, you can park this chair with these locks. The flip-up desk arms give ease to transfer in and out. Furthermore, people can use it as a table or desk.
The best part about this chair is its rugged rubber wheels. These wheels let you take the chair on any terrain or hard surface.
The rear locking wheels with anti-tippers allows you to roam around anywhere. Thus this wheelchair ensures a smooth and comfortable ride.
- The weight capacity of this transport chair is 300 lbs.
- You can control the speed and stability of this transport chair.
- A lightweight foldable frame makes it easy to lift it.
- The adjustable seat belt has a plastic clip.
- Removable footrest swings.
- Ride up this chair to a desk or dining table.
- The chair may flex on uneven surfaces.
- Hand brake handles can break after some time of use.
#2 Giantex Store lightweight Wheelchair
This is an ideal travel wheelchair option for those looking something easy enough to transport in a car or flying with durability and independent use. The steel frame is useful for durability and long time use.
The chair features a folding design with swing-away leg rests and a fast flip back for more advanced versatility. Folding lets, you save space and for easy storage of this chair.
This wheelchair has a faux leather seat, leg rest, and armrest. The steel frame is customized and has large weight support.
Moreover, this wheelchair has two handbrakes over the big wheels. The brake system can be easily adjusted if you are not satisfied with the speed or brakes’ tightness. The handbrake can be adjusted to adjust the screws.
- Space-saving and anti-slip hand push.
- Pedals can be flipped to the right or left side.
- A comfortable wheelchair is suitable for all ages.
- Legrest can be detached for space-saving purposes.
- Sturdy reinforced steel frame design.
- Durable rubber tires and flexible moving casters.
- The screw keeps coming loose.
- Seat not deep enough for tall people.
If you liked this article, you might want to read the next one on ultra lightweight transport wheelchairs
#3 Medline Store Transport Wheelchair
Medline transport lightweight wheelchair is a versatile travel chair. The wheelchair features large 12 inch rear wheels for efficient performance on uneven surfaces. The handbrakes are designed like loop style, and they are ideal for locking the rear wheels during transfers of older people.
The transport chair is made with a powder-coated aluminum frame. This makes the chair more durable. It can also hold a weight of 300 lbs. The chair is portable and compact, making it easy and convenient for people to carry them while traveling.
The chair features a seat belt that helps to keep you safe and secure. The chair, too, features a permanent armrest and adjustable footrest. These detachable footrests let you adjust the height as per your convenience.
The chair is easy to operate, especially for older people. Thus making it a perfect wheelchair for them.
- Compact, lightweight wheelchair for travel purposes.
- Loop style handbrakes are ideal for locking rear wheels.
- Full-length permanent armrest.
- The back folds, therefore making the chair more compact.
- The ultralight frame is durable.
- The weight of this travel wheelchair is 22 pounds.
- The front wheels are too thin.
- The chair often becomes unstable when the holder bends.
#4 Vive Store Folding Transport Wheelchair
The folding transport wheelchair is a perfect mobility wheelchair. With this mobility wheelchair, you can easily transfer the patients. the durable wheelchair features a wide 19″ seat and a padded backrest and armrest for better support and stability.
The chair, too, features two folding points that fold this chair flat for its compact storage. It also includes 12-inch tires and dual hand brakes for greater stability and safety on any hard surface. The wheelchair promises to provide ultimate mobility and safe experience to adult patients and loved ones.
This mobility wheelchair is easy to maneuver for both indoor and outdoor purposes. This foldable wheelchair features an adjustable footrest.
You can easily raise or lower them as per the patients’ convenience. The ergonomic handles are designed to reduce your hand fatigue and make you feel comfortable.
- The compact folding design gives ease and convenience to people.
- Textured grip gives you great comfort.
- 12-inch tires and dual hand brakes.
- Loop hand brakes lock the wheels during transfers.
- Safe, comfortable mobility for adults.
- The weight of this wheelchair is 29.1 pounds.
- No manual wheel brakes.
- Bolts of the chair often becomes loose.
You might be interested in reading: Best Wheelchair Headrests
#5 ProBasics Store Transport Wheelchair
The ProBasics wheelchair gives you whole new travel experience. This aluminum transport wheelchair is of compact, lightweight design with easy to maintain the finish.
The flared handles of the wheelchair allow the back to fold down flat and compact for its easy transportation. This chair supports weight up to 300 pounds.
The transport wheelchair fold flats in seconds. It is just 9 inches wide when folded. The seat is made with nylon upholstery.
Moreover, the wheelchair is fitted with a padded design. The flared handles of the chair provide a more ergonomic grip for the one pushing this wheelchair.
The handles further allow for the back to hold flatter without hitting the frame. The push to lock rear wheel locks is designed especially for people safety. These wheels help uneven surfaces prevent unwanted rolling.
- Lightweight wheelchair with aluminum construction.
- The ultralight-weight design makes this chair ideal to transport.
- It has a padded full-length permanent armrest with nylon upholstery.
- This portable wheelchair is a perfect travel wheelchair.
- Comes with seat belt, swing away footrest.
- Support the weight capacity up to 300 pounds.
- Difficult to push on rocky sidewalks.
- The braking system is not very good.
#6 HEALTHLINE Store Wheelchair
These transport wheelchairs are designed to be lighter than your standard manual wheelchair. This travel wheelchair is a lightweight option to use when traveling with a companion.
This aluminum transport chair comes with one seatbelt and has a full armrest that is of flipped padded foam. The chair is suitable for every type of travel.
You can easily take this chair on the airplane. It is comfortable for both indoor and outdoor purposes. Moreover, this wheelchair can easily be loaded aboard in the cargo compartment.
The wheelchair features 5 inches solid front wheels and 8 inch rear wheels. You can take these wheelchairs on rocky surfaces.
The foldable backrest of this transport wheelchair is equipped with safety protection, two hand brakes with an efficient parking function. You can park this wheelchair easily and safely. The compact wheelchair gives you ease and convenience while traveling.
- This lightweight wheelchair weights only 18 lbs.
- The foldable backrest is equipped with safety protection.
- The chair can support a weight capacity of up to 225lbs.
- Comes with flipped padded foam armrest.
- One of the best choices for any kind of travel
- Handbrakes make it easy to control.
- It may take time to understand its manual.
You might be interested in reading: Best Wheelchair Cushions for Elderly
#7 Graham-Field Transport Wheelchair
This customized transport chair is designed as a perfect patient transfer device. The compact size of this wheelchair allows you to lift and store this chair with ease.
This lightweight wheelchair for travel takes all the best features of a manual wheelchair. So it can be used for independent use and puts it in a sturdy transport wheelchair.
The chair features upgraded wheels for a smooth and caring ride. The chair features flat-free rear wheels and a swivel caster in the front. Its adjustment features allow you to adjust the settings as per your convenience.
The mounted handle gives full safety to the patients. It assures to prevent to bend over to apply the brakes. The aluminum frame is sturdy and light. The wheelchair is capable of supporting the weight up to 300 lbs.
- Twelve inches flat rear wheels and 8 inches swivel casters.
- Swingaway footrest keeps feet safe off the ground.
- Convenient carry strap on both sides of the seat.
- The aluminum frame is light and strong.
- Easy lifting and folding with this transport chair.
- It is an easy to get on and off chair
- Instruction to assemble the chair is not given properly.
- The armrests are too high, which may cause inconvenience.
What should you look for before buying a manual travel wheelchair?
The travel wheelchairs are lightweight and easily foldable. They are light enough to be moved from a car, bus, or any other transportation. These chairs are compact, and you can even take them on a plane journey.
The manual travel wheelchairs are great because of their weight, size, and functions. These wheelchairs are designed as sturdy wheelchairs. They are reliable chairs when you are away from your home.
Easy To Use Footrest:
The travel wheelchairs are made with easy to use a footrest. These swing-away footrests are easy to remove and lock back into the place.
They further ensure the patients’ full safety. They are easy to adjust with a push button. Therefore, it promises more comfort and convenience.
Handbrakes, rear wheels or swivel casters of these wheelchairs allow for a better experience. The hand brakes require very less pressure and will come to a stop with the slightest touch.
The wheels provide a comfortable ride over most of the surfaces, and the rear wheels will lock. The back folds down to make it easy to carry.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What is the easiest wheelchair to push?
The transport wheelchairs are easy to push wheelchairs. Since they come with small wheels, moreover, the caregivers can effectively push the user without exerting too much energy with each push. These wheelchairs are specially designed to push the patients in a better and efficient way gently.
How long does a manual wheelchair last?
A manual wheelchair has an average lifespan of four years. You can consider many factors to determine the lifespan of a wheelchair.
It includes material, maintenance, sturdiness, wheel locks, and many other factors. So you must consider these factors to determine its lifespan.
How do you maintain your wheelchair?
You can maintain your wheelchair by following some simple steps. Firstly, you must fully know about the detailing of your wheelchair and use it carefully.
Moreover, it would help if you considered the effect of each of its parts over some time. Thus with proper maintenance, you can take care of your wheelchair.
Travel wheelchairs are designed to be lighter than daily use wheelchairs and can fold easily, so that they can be carried around or put away in a car trunk.
An ideal travel wheelchair is one that provides all the functions you use daily, but also gives you the flexibility of a lower weight and compactness. The wheelchairs that we have selected for you come with all of these and more.
In this article, we have selected the best manual travel wheelchair based on the features mentioned in our buyer’s guide and the ratings and comments mentioned by actual users on Amazon.
In our opinion, the NOVA Lightweight Transport Chair with Locking Hand Brakes, 12" Rear Wheels, Removable & Flip Up Arms for Easy Transfer, Anti-Tippers Included, Red is the best choice among the various options that we have considered because it provides excellent mobility, can carry a weight of close to 300 pounds despite its flexible and compact size, and is easy to maneuver
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the Giantex Lightweight Wheelchair with Full Arms and Swing Away Removable Footrests, Handbrake Adjustable in Tightness, 23" Large Rubber Wheels, 20" Leather Seat, Transport Wheelchair Black, which offers great value and features at a very reasonable price point.
While we make every effort to provide updated and correct information, the advice given in this article and website should not be construed as “medical advice”. Please consult with your physician or medical practitioner before using any travel wheelchair. Each individual may have his or her unique issues and your medical practitioner is the best person to decide the best manual travel wheelchair for your case.
We cover an extensive range of wheelchair related topics:
- Best Mid Wheel Drive Wheelchairs
- 12 Best Power Wheelchairs for Outdoor Use
- Best Narrow Width Self Propelled Wheelchairs
- Best Bariatric Wheelchairs
- Best Wheelchairs With Commode
- Best Beach Wheelchairs
- Best Pediatric Wheelchairs
- Best Wheelchairs for Stroke Patients
If you are looking for wheelchair accessories, you have come to the right place!
- 7 Best Wheelchair Seat Belts
- Best Bags for Wheelchairs and Walkers
- 5 Best Wheelchair Armrest Covers
- Best Area Rugs for Wheelchair Users
- Best Wheelchair Headrests
- Best Wheelchair Tire Pump
- Best Wheelchair Cushions for Elderly
- Best Wheelchair Footrest Pads
- Best Stroller for Wheelchair Users