We have reviewed the best wheelchair footrest pads. If you are in a hurry, the table below gives a quick snapshot of the top 6.
There are 2.7mn wheelchair users in America. When you are a wheelchair user, life has already thrown enough lemons at you for you to consider starting a lemonade stand.
But lets at least take a hard look and see if we can try to make the life of your wheelchair-bound loved ones a bit easier? One of the problems that they face on a daily basis is how to keep their legs from falling back all the time?
The perfect solution is a nice footrest pad – one that can be used to correctly position their legs while also giving those very legs a comfortable resting place that would also help to reduce any pain in the joints and muscles.
So what are we waiting for? Let’s go buy them the best wheelchair footrest pads that money can buy!
Our top Choice – NYOrtho Wheelchair Footrest
The NYOrtho Wheelchair Foot-Rest Extender Elevating Pad - Leg Cushion Protector | Secures Easily with Quick-Release Strap Seat Widths 16" - 20", 1" Foot Platform is our top choice for “Best wheelchair footrest pads”
It provides the user with a comfortable base of support. The cushion also pads behind the leg.
It ensures that the leg does not fall from the footrest pads. It helps in improving posture and alleviating foot drop symptoms. Three different heights of the footrest are available to choose from 1,2 and 3 inches.
Some more features
- 2 Quick release straps for easy installation and removal of the leg rest.
- The footrest pads come in two sizes and three height options. The 16-20 inch version is meant for normal wheelchairs whereas the 22 – 24-inch version is meant for bariatric wheelchairs
- Depending on the height of the user, you can choose a foot padding of 1,2 or 3 inches.
- You also get a carry bag along the footrest to keep the cushion when not in use.
- The blue color of the leg cushion is very eye-catchy.
- Cushion pads provide excellent base support and improve the posture of the wheelchair user.
Best Wheelchair Footrest Pads
#1 Skil-Care Wheelchair Footrest Extender
This 2-inch high pad is perfect for those who have mobility issues and use a wheelchair. People using wheelchairs experience pain in the lower part of the leg because their legs remain suspended all day from the wheelchair seat.
This leg rest extender gives rest to their feet. It is made of vinyl fabric which is very easy to clean and feels soft to the legs. It provides support and gives adequate height to the foot while sitting in a wheelchair.
- The 2-inch height supports the legs while using the wheelchair.
- This leg extension does not let the leg slip between the foot supports of the wheelchair.
- This lightweight gear is very comfortable.
- Soft vinyl fabric provides comfort to the legs and is easy to clean.
- The black color of the footrest goes with any wheelchair.
- The extender leg rest needs to be attached and removed whenever you fold the chair; this can be a bit annoying.
- Fabric is slippery, especially for those patients who wear shoes while using the wheelchair.
You might be interested in reading: A Guide on How to Get a Free Wheelchair
#2 HFWC2218 Foot Friend Cushion
If you want your loved ones to feel relaxed while sitting in a wheelchair, the foot friend cushion is a perfect gift for them. It not only provides support to your feet but acts as a step to rest your feet while being in the wheelchair for a long time.
This cushion can be easily attached to the wheelchair using the velcro straps provided. The cushion is made with polyurethane foam and covered with a black covering that protects the foam from dust.
The foam acts as a soft cushion for your legs. This cushion is perfect for most wheelchair designs with a dimension of 18 x 8 x 11 inches. The cushion is simple to maintain; you can use a mild detergent to clean the cushion when dirty.
- The cushion is a perfect fit for most wheelchairs. Its size is 18 x 8 x 11 inches.
- It supports the user’s legs and acts as a soft place for them to rest their legs.
- It also helps to prevent the wheelchair users feet from slipping off the footrests
- The Polyurethane foam is very soft and comfortable on the feet
- This cushion is extremely lightweight and easy to manage.
- The cushion has excellent resistance value and remains as it is for a very long time.
- Not suitable for those who want firm padding for leg support.
#3 NYOrtho Wheelchair Footrest
The NYOrtho footrest extender pad provides comfort to a wheelchair user’s legs and does not let the legs slip behind or sideways off the footrest.
The pad acts as an elevator for the user’s feet and prevents foot drop in wheelchair users. The footrest is available in 3 different foot platform sizes 1,2 and 3 inches.
There are two footrests available – 16 to 20-inch width footrest extenders are useful for normal wheelchairs whereas the 22 to 24-inch footrest extender is to be used with the broader bariatric wheelchairs.
NYOrtho pads can be fixed with two quick-release straps attached to the footpads, one on each side. This makes it easy for removing and installing the footrest on the wheelchair.
You also get a storage bag for the footpads. You can hang the cushion at the back of the wheelchair for easy access, to be used whenever needed.
- Three different sizes are available to choose from 1,2 and 3 inches.
- You can use either the 16 to the 20-inch version for normal wheelchairs or the 22 to 24-inch version for bariatric wheelchairs
- You also get a storage bag for easy storage of the footpads, which can be suspended at the back of the wheelchair for easy access
- The foot extender provides base support to the user’s feet, keeping them in position above the footrests and not letting them go behind.
- Two adjustable straps are attached to the pads for easily securing the pads top the wheelchair.
- The footrest extender also helps to prevent foot drop in wheelchair users
- You need to get behind the wheelchair to connect the straps; which can be a bit difficult.
- This footrest extender pad is a bit large for children’s feet. It may not be suitable for pediatric wheelchairs.
You might be interested in reading: How to Dispose of an Electric Wheelchair
#4 Wheelchair Low Profile Leg Cushion
This low profile special footrest padded cushion provides comfort to the wheelchair users feet by elevating them on a comfortable padded surface.
It has a size of 19.75 x 17 inches, which means that this padded cushion is perfect for most normal sized wheelchairs.
This padded cushion acts as excellent leg support. It is made from a polyester-polyurethane fabric that is soft and comfortable to touch.
The footrest is filled with polystyrene foam which makes the footrest comfortable for resting the wheelchair user’s legs. There is a Velcro fastener on this footrest that can be used to fasten the pad firmly on to the wheelchair.
- This footrest provides a soft cushion to the wheelchair users’ feet and provides them with a place to rest their feet.
- With a 19.75 x 17 inches size, the padding is appropriate for most wheelchairs and holds the feet in position so that they do not slip off the footrests.
- The polyester polyurethane fabric of this cushion is durable as well as comfortable on the user’s feet.
- The polystyrene foam filler in the cushion makes it very soft and comfortable.
- Some users felt that while the design of the cushion is nice, it felt a bit flimsy. It was not thick as compared to some of its peers (including the ones in this lineup)
- Similarly, the padding at the back of the leg was also not very comfortable, because it was not thick enough.
#5 Wheelchair Footrest Extender Side-kick add-on
This footrest accessory is designed keeping in mind regular wheelchair users. It prevents the user’s feet from falling in between the footrest and even from the wheelchair’s sides.
Those wheelchair users who are unable to walk at all will appreciate these footrests, since they give them complete comfort, keep their legs safe and easily ensconced in a comfortable position.
With a hook and loop fastener, this footrest extender can be fastened to the wheelchair with ease. The side cushions also work with any other footrest extender.
The 18 inches wide footrest with a 8 inches side panel comfortably fits to almost any wheelchair. It can even be combined with a drop stop extender for those who have frequent drop foot problems.
- A perfect add on for making the wheelchair more comfortable.
- Specially designed for those who have drop foot.
- Elevates the footrest to a comfortable position and improves posture.
- The side panel is 8 inches wide and the main footrest is 18 inches wide, making it a perfect fit in any wheelchair.
- The hook and loop fastener makes it comfortable to attach the extender to the base.
- This footrest can be a bit bulky as compared to other footrests.
- This footrest is slightly expensive
You might be interested in reading: Things to Take Care Of When Flying With an Electric Wheelchair
#6 Footrest Extender Replacement Pads
This drop stop pad or foot extender works best for those who have been facing foot drop issues. It also prevents the user’s foot from slipping off the footrest. It is specially designed to fit a wheelchair of width 16, 18, or 20 inches.
The footrest extender is made of durable vinyl fabric. You can clean the vinyl cover simply by spraying water and wiping it with a damp cloth.
The pad does not need much maintenance. This footrest extender also helps to improve the posture of the person using it.
- It is a perfect pad for those who experience foot drop on a regular basis due to long hours of sitting in a wheelchair.
- It elevates the feet and improves the sitting posture of the person using it.
- The cushioned back helps to provide padding at the back of the user’s legs and does not let the feet from slipping behind.
- The hook and loop straps on this footrest make it convenient to tie it on to the wheelchair footpad and release it off whenever required.
- It is made of vinyl fabric which is easy to clean and maintain.
- The foot extender is available in black color.
- Do not wash the padding with hot water. Only normal water is recommended.
- Do not let the user stand on the cushion padding as he/she can lose his balance.
Buyer’s Guide: Best Wheelchair Footrest Pads
Before buying a footrest extender for your loved one, consider the following points.
Something that adds support to the people with a mobility issue can be a boon for them. Therefore before buying footpads, see to it that is made of soft material and is comfortable for the user. Moreover, the footrest extender must be firm enough not to allow the feet to slip easily from the padding.
Check the measurement (size, height)
Buying footrest pads for a wheelchair can be a bit tricky. Do not buy too small or too large a pad that will not fit in the footpads of the wheelchair.
According to the users’ height, you may need to buy pads with 1, 2, or 3 inches height. Buy footrest extenders with straps attached to them to make it easy to put on and remove the footrest on the wheelchair.
Never buy a pad for the footrests that are too spongy. This will make the user’s leg sink into the cushion, and they can fall and injure themselves. Buy material that is soft but also comfortable for the user. Firm pads that are non-slippery work best for wheelchair users.
Go for buying pads and cushions that are made of durable foam. A cushion or a foot extender acts as a base for the wheelchair user.
Therefore make sure that the base is strong enough to provide comfort while elevating the user’s feet in the right way. Pads that have Polyurethane foam works great for the people with disability.
Elevating or swing-away design
According to the patient’s condition, decide what kind of leg rest pads do they want? If the patient can easily move in and out, a swing-away leg rest will work wonders. And then cushion padding work best for them.
If the person is dependent on a wheelchair and needs a leg rest to elevate his\her legs, then go for an elevating style footrest with firm padding that will work great.
You might be interested in reading: Best Electric Wheelchair Attachment Motor/Bike
Frequently Asked Questions: Best Wheelchair Footrest Pads
How to attach the footrest to the wheelchair? Does it need extra attachments?
The footrest can be attached to any wheelchair with two adjustable nylon straps positioned at the footrest’s bottom. You need to secure it with a plastic buckle.
As the straps are long enough, it usually fits around the footrest area of the wheelchair. The leg rest extender does not need any other tools or accessories to be fixed to the footrest.
Does footrest help? What kind of footrests are the best?
Yes, a footrest helps to provide better comfort and better leg support. The mobility of the wheelchair user decides what kind of footrest will suit him/her.
If the user cannot move his/her leg or is not allowed to move their leg, the elevating leg footrest will work best. If a person is allowed to have some movement in the foot, an articulate leg rest is the best solution.
What are the benefits of a footrest pad?
A footrest pad’s soft and padded design helps prevent friction, rubbing, and pressure between the users’ foot and the footplates of the wheelchair.
Some footrest pads also have slip-resistant covers that provide comfort while ensuring the user’s feet do not slip off them, thus keeping them in place.
These pads are usually made of durable, washable fabric. They are light in weight because they are made of gel and foam.
The pads are also beneficial for patients who cannot wear shoes due to foot-related deformities and injuries. Some footrest covers protect the user’s feet and serve as a healing aid for sores, skin ulcers, and abrasions.
People using a wheelchair for mobility need to feel comfortable and relaxed when using it. A footrest pad can add to their comfort and make them feel more relaxed when in a wheelchair.
Footrest extenders will act as an excellent leg support and help improve the wheelchair user’s posture. In this article, we have selected the Best wheelchair footrest pads based on the features mentioned in our buyer’s guide and the ratings and comments mentioned by actual users on Amazon.
In our opinion, the NYOrtho Wheelchair Foot-Rest Extender Elevating Pad - Leg Cushion Protector | Secures Easily with Quick-Release Strap Seat Widths 16" - 20", 1" Foot Platform is the best choice among the various options that we have considered because it is comfortable and rich in features.
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the HFWC2218EA - Foot Friend Cushion, 18, which offers great value and features at a very reasonable price point.
If you are looking for more wheelchair accessories, we have got you covered!
- Best Temporary Wheelchair Ramps
- Best Wheelchair Carriers
- Best Gloves for Wheelchair Users
- Best Power Wheelchair Batteries
- Best Wheelchair Seat Belts
- Best Bags for Wheelchairs and Walkers
- Best Electric Wheelchair Seat Covers
- Best Wheelchair Arm Rest Covers
- Best Area Rugs for Wheelchair Users
- Best Wheelchair Headrests
- How to Carry Things in a Wheelchair
- Best Wheelchair Tire Pump
- Best Wheelchair Cushions for Elderly
- Rehab Bikes for Wheelchair Users