In this article, we have reviewed the best pediatric wheelchairs. If you are in a hurry, the table below gives a quick snapshot. Or you can scroll down for detailed product reviews.
Children who are using a wheelchair due to disability or injury need not miss out on the little joys of life. With the right kind of pediatric wheelchair which is designed keeping in mind the features and specific requirements of kids, they can move about and do all their daily tasks freely and independently.
For example, the wheelchair must be as per the pediatrician’s specifications. They must also be lightweight and height-adjustable. They also need to have a lot of safety features such as seat belts, handbrakes, swivel locks, anti-tipping devices, etc.
One important aspect is the ease of transportation, which means that even though there are electric wheelchairs available for children, a lightweight, easy to self operate chair is equally feasible.
It is important that the wheelchair is of the right dimensions, and can correctly support the child while sitting in the wheelchair.
In this article, we will evaluate what all features are necessary to watch out for when buying a wheelchair meant specifically for children, and we will also share a list of the best products available out there for you to choose from.
What to Look For Before Buying The Best Pediatric Wheelchairs?
Typically, wheelchairs with seat widths between 14 and 20 inches are preferable for children, with the average width being somewhere around 14 to 16 inches. The seat depth moves along with width, and is also an important criterion to consider, especially if your child has longer legs
The wheelchair needs to have a high comfort quotient. The seat should have foam padding and must be covered in breathable and moisture resistant material such as Nylon or Vinyl. The seat also needs to be easily removable and washable, since the child would be sitting in it for long hours and you would not want a build-up of germs or dirt on the chair
Other comfort-related aspects are padded armchairs, elevated leg rests (especially for children facing swollen feet), and adjustable headrest
As mentioned earlier, children’s wheelchairs are mostly self-operated. Therefore it is important that the wheelchair be lightweight so that it can be easily pulled around by your child.
You may also like Best Wheelchair Carriers
As mentioned earlier as well, it is very important for a children’s wheelchair to be height adjustable, at the headrest, seat and armrests. Children grow very quickly and therefore the wheelchair needs to keep pace with their growth.
If your child is faced with the unfortunate circumstance of them being confined to a wheelchair (however briefly), you would want them to be cheerful and in a positive mind frame. Attractive colors help children be more excited about the wheelchair, making it a positive experience for them.
The wheelchair should ideally have seatbelts, brakes for locking the wheels, anti-swivel locks for when you need to transfer the patient or bring the wheelchair to a complete halt. There should be an anti-tip mechanism in the chair as well.
Several optional features are available in the market which can make the wheelchair experience even better for the user. These features include: A padded trunk harness, adjustable headrest, seat cushions anti-tippers, and swing-away elevating legrests with padded calf pads
The chair should be thin. Overall width of less than 23 centimeters ensures that the wheelchair would pass through most doorways easily. Any wider, and the wheelchair becomes a big problem around the house.
You may also like Best Power Wheelchair Batteries
Best Pediatric Wheelchairs
#1 Medline Kids Pediatric WheelChairs Perfect For Children
The Medline Kids Pediatric WheelChairs comes in a bright yellow color, combined with an all black upholstery that is very attractive for children.
With a 14 inch wide seat covered in vinyl, the wheelchair is very easy to clean as well as comfortable to sit on. The seat is 12 inches deep, which is just perfect for children.
This wheelchair is designed specifically for children, and accordingly can support weights of upto 250 pounds, which is enough for most children.
The wheelchair armrests are padded for additional comfort to the user.The leg rests are designed for comfort, and can be elevated easily. The seat is height-adjustable using a dual axle in the chair.
The wheelchair handles are telescopic, they can be adjusted both upwards and downwards in accordance to the caregivers height.
The widest point of the wheelchair is only about 21 inches, therefore it is quite narrow and can pass through most doorways. It also has a convenient seatbelt which ensures that the child cannot slip out of the wheelchair when using it on an incline or similar terrain.
This wheelchair is self-transporting. Your child can push this around himself/herself using the hand pedals provided. It is a very lightweight wheelchair.
The wheelchair can be put away after use by folding it along the vertical axis, especially if you have bought it for a temporary reason. The wheelchair comes assembled in the box, no tools or effort is required to put it together.
- Beautiful yellow and black colored wheelchair, attractive for young children
- 14-inch width and 12-inch depth, perfect size for comfortably supporting a child
- Height of the chair is adjustable, as the child grows, the chair can grow with it
- Can support weights of upto 250 pounds, good enough for most children
- Padded armrests for extra comfort
- Telescopic handles which adjust as per the height of the caregiver
- Narrow (only 21 inches), easily passes through doors
- Seatbelt to ensure the safety of your child
- Self-transporting, lightweight. Easy to pull around
- Can be folded up and put away when not in use
- Leg rests can be elevated to support the legs, especially if your child faces swollen feet
- Comes fully assembled in the box
- Durable construction
- The leg support is not that sturdy for heavy children.
- Quite a few users complained that they received a broken leg as shipped
You may also like The Best Dogs for Someone in a Wheelchair
#2 Inspired by Drive Wallaby Pediatric Folding Wheelchair, Jet Fighter Blue
The Inspired by Drive Wallaby Pediatric Folding Wheelchair comes in two lovely colors – jet fighter blue (14-inch width) and fire truck red (12-inch width). The tire rims are white colored and the rest of the wheelchair is black, thus providing good contrast. Both colors are very attractive to young children.
The handles on the wheelchair are height adjustable, which is especially useful if different people in the family will be pushing the chair. The armrests on the chair can be flipped back, which is convenient while transferring the child from the bed to the chair or vice versa.
A pelvic belt is provided for in the wheelchair, which gives additional support to your child while sitting on the chair. Another safety feature is anti-tippers installed on the chair, which prevents it from tipping backward.
The wheels are easy to push-and-lock, which is very important if you are doing a transfer or are on an inclined terrain and need to stop the wheelchair.
There is headrest support on the wheelchair, for children who sit for longer durations and therefore need to rest themselves on the chair itself.
The wheelchair weighs a mere 26 pounds and can be pushed around easily and even be used for self transportation. It can be folded like an airport wheelchair – conveniently drops to a very small size and therefore is very easy to stow away when not in use.
The seat is 22 inches wide overall, and can therefore fit into narrow doorways and other places very easily. Apart from the handlebars and the wheels, the chair comes fully built out of the box and does not require too much assembly.
The front wheels on the wheelchair are 6 inches in size, whereas the back wheels are 22 inches. This configuration makes the wheelchair very stable.
The chair is extremely durable, with an all-steel body frame
- Available in two exciting colors: Jet fighter blue(14-inch width) and Firetruck orange (12-inch width) for children
- Height adjustable handles for the caregiver
- A pelvic belt for additional support and to prevent your child from slipping off from the wheelchair
- Push-to-lock wheels, easy to lock in place
- Headrest support for your child
- Lightweight can be used for self transportation
- Overall the chair is only 22 inches wide, it can easily make way through narrow doorways
- Easy to assemble, can be done within 10 minutes
- Large rear wheels and smaller front wheels, stable configuration
- Steel body frame, durable chair
- The 14-inch chair may be too deep for smaller children. Choose carefully after taking into account all measurements
- There is no swivel lock on the wheels, which means that it can be a bit difficult to control while turning
#3 Circle Specialty: Ziggo Foldable Pediatric Wheelchair For Kids
The Circle Speciality’s Ziggo wheelchair is available in three attractive color options to choose from: maroon, blue, and orange. It also has a practical design, has an ultra-lightweight body, is foldable and therefore easy to carry around or store when not in use.
The wheelchair has a pelvic belt, to give safety to your child and ensure that he/she does not slip out of the chair.
The armrests of the wheelchair are padded for comfort and can be flipped back, to easily transfer the child from bed to chair
The footrests on this wheelchair can be elevated for the comfort of the user, and are height adjustable to boot. They also feature calf straps, for comfort and security.
The chair upholstery is made of all-nylon fabric, very breathable and soft to touch. There is a convenient pouch provided in the back for carrying small things like a phone or a game for the child.
The wheelchair has an all-steel frame making it very sturdy. The back wheels have treaded PU tires and the front ones are made from PVC. The back wheels also have a quick release feature.
A very important aspect of this wheelchair is the huge number of optional accessories that can be availed to customize it and for making the wheelchair even more comfortable. Some of these accessories include: A padded trunk harness, adjustable headrest, seat cushions anti-tippers and swing-away elevating leg rests with padded calf pads
The chair is overall 23 inches wide, which is just about the width of a doorway, so you need to be a bit careful especially if your home has narrow doorways.
The wheelchair can support a maximum weight of 150 pounds and can be easily folded up and stood upright when not in use.
- Available in three bright and beautiful colors
- Padded armrests which can be flipped back making transfers easier
- Pelvic belt and safety leg straps for the everyday safety of your child.
- Elevated footrests, with height adjustability as well as calf straps for safety and comfort
- All nylon upholstery which is comfortable and breathable
- Convenient pouch for holding personal belongings
- All-steel frame, making this wheelchair very durable
- A large number of optional accessories available
- Available with a three-year warranty.
- Not very budget-friendly for those with a limited budget.
- The chair width is 23 inches which can make it difficult to navigate narrow doorways.
You may also like How to Clean a Power Wheelchair?
#4 Yuwell Portable Folding Travelling Wheelchair
The Yuwell Portable traveling wheelchair is unlike all other wheelchairs in this lineup. It is made from aluminum alloy, which makes it lightweight, rust-free, and extremely durable.
It weighs only 14 pounds, making it extremely lightweight, as compared with other wheelchairs. It can be folded up and carried along with you wherever you go, even in a flight.
The wheelchair uses a unique design, where the front and rear casters are of the same size, instead of wheels in the back. There is a handbrake provided in the chair, which can be activated by leaning back and pushing the round tubing at the back of the user’s head.
From a safety perspective, a seat belt is thoughtfully provided in the chair, and a security lock is given near the rear casters, which makes them try out loud.
A foot brake is also provided on the wheelchair on either side so that the wheelchair can be brought to complete standstill any time needed. The wheelchair even comes with its own carry bag for easy portability.
It is only 19.5 inches at the widest point, thereby making it easy to pass through narrow doorways. Like other wheelchairs, this one also has padded armrests,
- Aluminum alloy-based material, makes it extremely lightweight (only 14 pounds)
- Can be folded up and carried around, even in an airplane
- Comes with its own carry bag
- Handbrake for easily bringing the chair to a stop
- Seat and security lock provided in the chair for safety
- Foot brake provided for bringing the chair to a standstill
- Only 19.5 inches at its widest point, passes easily through narrow doors
- The front and back casters are very small, does not work well in difficult terrain or snow
- The seating is not as comfortable as a regular wheelchair
If you liked this article, you may also want to read our guide on choosing transport wheelchairs for the elderly
#5 Flowing water Adjustable Wheelchair
The Flowing water Adjustable Wheelchair is specially designed for children with cerebral palsy. As such it has several features that support these children which are not available in other wheelchair models that we have talked about in this lineup.
It has a height-adjustable headrest and sides, and even the third gear can be adjusted according to the height of the child.
The wheelchair has a 7-inch thick cushion covered with bee net material, which is breathable and comfortable for use on a long term basis
It has double cylinder controls, these are easier to use, less environment-dependent and can be controlled a lot easier
The chair folds comfortably and can be put in the rear of your car trunk. It comes with its own convenient bag for easy transportation.
There is an anti backward tipping control mechanism included in the wheelchair as well. This wheelchair can be reclined to a 40-degree angle, and the back of the chair can recline a full 180 degree as well.
The wheelchair is lightweight and weighs only about 40 pounds. There are handbrakes provided near the wheelchair handles for easy control by the caregiver.
The wheelchair also features a convenient pelvic seat belt for the safety of the child sitting in it.
- Specially designed for postoperative cerebral palsy children
- Height adjustable headrest, sides and third gear
- Inclines to 40 degrees to easily carry the child. Double cylinder controls
- Folds comfortably and can fit the back of your car trunk
- Anti backward tipping safety mechanism provided in the wheelchair
- The lightweight chair weighs only about 40 pounds, easy to push
- Handbrakes provided near the wheelchair handles for the caregiver to control the wheelchair easily
- 7 inch thick cushioned seats covered with bee net material for breathability and comfort
- The seat belt is too long and not suitable for kids.
- The chair tends to be a bit heavy to carry around, especially when folded
You may also like Best Reclining Wheelchairs with Headrest
If there was one aspect we wished to leave you with before you move away from this article, just remember that your kids grow very fast and therefore whichever wheelchair you use needs to be able to grow along with your child – which means that it should have as many height adjustable parts as possible.
Overall, in the above article, we have selected the best pediatric wheelchair based on the features mentioned in our buyer’s guide and the ratings and comments mentioned by actual users on Amazon.
In our opinion, the Wallaby Pediatric Folding Wheelchair is the best choice among the different available options that we have considered because of its sturdy makeup which makes it comfortable for kids weighing up to 80lbs.
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the Medline Kids Pediatric Wheelchair, 14 Wide Seat, Swing-Away Desk-Length Arms, Elevating Leg Rests, Yellow Frame is Great for Children, as it is much more within your budget with perfect features as compared to other models.
While we make every effort to provide updated and correct information, the advice given in this article and website should not be construed as “medical advice”. Please consult with your physician or medical practitioner before using any pediatric wheelchair. Each individual may have his or her unique issues and your medical practitioner is the best person to decide the best pediatric wheelchairs for your case.