We have reviewed the best zinc supplements for seniors. If you are in a hurry, the table below gives a quick snapshot of the top ones.
Zinc deficiency is common in aged people, which may negatively impact the immune system and increase the likelihood of infectious diseases. Its deficiency can play an essential role in the aging process and cause the nervous system’s degenerative diseases.
In the United States, about 12 % of the population is probably at risk for zinc deficiency, and as many as 40% of the elderly have a zinc deficiency. Experts say it is mainly due to inadequate dietary intake and less absorption of this essential nutrient.
The primary role of zinc is to help cell growth and development and immune defense hormone regulation and wound healing. An adult needs 8 to 11 mg of zinc every day. People can get it from foods like beans, meat, cheese, or seeds. However, they can take supplements if they are not eating these foods as these supplements contain ingredients in their purest form to better treat zinc deficiency.
In this article, we will review the best zinc supplements for seniors. Let’s check them one by one.
Our Top Choice – Nature Bounty Zinc Caplets
The Nature's Bounty Zinc 50 mg Caplets, Unflavored, 100 Count, Pack of 2 is our top choice for Best Zinc Supplements For Seniors
These 50mg zinc caplets play a vital role in immune support as they function as an antioxidant within the body. These help eliminate zinc deficiency as they provide more than the daily requirement of this essential mineral.
Some of its best features are:
- The caplets function as an antioxidant and assist in the formation of DNA.
- These caplets are good for skin health as they are components of enzyme collagenase.
- The zinc caplets are non-GMO and sugar and gluten-free, so they are safe and pure.
- Zinc in nature caplets plays an essential role in building immune health.
- Easy for people to increase their daily intake as caplets are made with nature and technology.
Best Zinc Supplements For Seniors
#1 Nature Bounty Zinc Caplets
Nature Bounty Zinc Caplets are one of the best zinc supplements for seniors. These 50mg zinc caplets are ideal for immune health as they provide more than this mineral’s daily requirement. They help to support overall immune health.
They support antioxidant health as they function as an antioxidant within the body. These zinc caplets are good for skin health as they are clinically studied as a component of enzyme collagenase. Moreover, these caplets are non-GMO and gluten-free, so they are safe and pure.
These caplets are excellent zinc supplements for the elderly as they are made with quality, consistency, and scientific research.
- 50mg zinc caplets are ideal for immune health as they provide more than the daily requirement.
- These caplets support antioxidant health as they function as an antioxidant within the body.
- These caplets are non-GMO and gluten-free, so they are safe and pure.
- Zinc caplets are good for skin health as they are clinically studied as a component of enzyme collagenase.
- The 50mg zinc caplets better support the immune system as they provide more than this mineral’s daily requirement.
- Some users found these caplets hard to swallow.
You may also like Best Supplements for Osteoporosis
#2 Garden Of Life Zinc Supplement
The Garden of Life zinc supplement gives whole food nutrition as it is made with 30 mg of raw zinc and 60mg of raw vitamin C. It also contains raw fruits and vegetables, alkalizing minerals, and enzymes that add additional antioxidants and vitamins. It helps to give nutrients to the body in a natural way.
Moreover, these zinc pills do not contain any filler ingredients and are made without high heat. They are made with raw nutrients, supporting the immune system, skin health, and eye health. Plant-based zinc vitamin includes raw probiotic and enzyme blend to give better digestive support.
This zinc supplement is non-GMO verified and gluten-free. So the intake of this supplement is good for overall body health.
- It is made with 30 mg of raw zinc and 60mg of raw vitamin C that gives whole food nutrition.
- Raw nutrients which help to support the immune system, skin health, and eye health.
- Plant-based zinc vitamin includes raw probiotic and enzyme blend to give people better digestive support.
- These zinc pills are safe as they do not contain any filler ingredients.
- Zinc supplement is non-GMO verified and gluten-free. So the intake of this supplement is good for overall body health.
- Some users complained about uneasiness after taking it.
You may also like Best Brain Supplements for Elderly
#3 Nature’s Potent Zinc Supplement
Nature’s Potent Zinc Supplement is an ideal zinc supplement for both men and women. This zinc supplement helps to improve overall immune health as it has immune-enhancing properties. It plays a vital role in giving antioxidant support to both men and women. For men, it helps them in building and maintaining lean muscle mass. For pregnant women, it helps in the essential growth and development of the fetus.
The zinc supplement can be used with other multivitamins like elderberries, vitamin B12, B-complex, and vitamin C, thus improving overall body health. It is made with purity potency standards, making it a safe supplement for people. So this supplement is one of the best zinc supplements for seniors.
- Zinc supplement aids in improving overall immune health as it has immune-enhancing properties.
- This zinc supplement may help in the essential growth and development of the fetus in pregnant women.
- In men, this supplement helps in building and maintaining lean muscle mass.
- It is made with purity potency standards, which makes it a safe supplement for people.
- People can use this supplement with other multivitamins like elderberry, vitamin B12, B-complex, and vitamin C.
- A few users mentioned that they found this supplement difficult to swallow.
You may also like Common Nutritional Deficiencies In The Elderly
#4 New Chapter Zinc Supplement
This zinc supplement is good for seniors as its whole-food cultured zinc promotes skin and immune health. Each nutrient is cultured in live probiotics, found naturally in fermented foods like yogurt and tempeh. This helps in supporting overall immune health with the complimentary herbal blend like elderberry and astragalus.
The zinc supplement supports skin resilience by maintaining better health of the skin. This is easy to digest and can be taken anytime. Even on an empty stomach as it is created to make it easily digestible for the elderly.
It is an all-natural, gluten-free supplement made with organic vegetables and herbs. Further, there are no artificial flavors or colors added in this supplement, making it an ideal daily intake supplement.
- Whole food cultured zinc promotes skin and immune health as each nutrient is cultured in live probiotics.
- The zinc supplement supports skin resilience by maintaining better health of the skin.
- No artificial flavors and colors are added in this supplement, which makes it a safe supplement.
- It is easy to digest.
- It helps in overall immune health with its complementary herbal blends like elderberry and astragalus.
- Not all users may want to consume the herbal blends in this supplement
#5 MegaFood Zinc Supplement
The MegaFood supplement is a multivitamin that helps building a healthy and strong immune system, as it is a combination of organic food, including organic greens like broccoli and spinach . This 22.5mg zinc helps in the better recovery of wounds as it is made with 100 different enzymes.
The tablets are best taken on an empty stomach to experience their full benefit. The supplement is made with real food and added nutrients that boost the immune system and help cope with zinc deficiency.
This supplement is gluten-free, verified, and tested for herbicides and pesticides. So this high-quality supplement is safe for people.
- It is made with a blend of whole organic food, including organic spinach, parsley leaf, and broccoli, which aids in building overall immune health.
- Tablets are best to take on an empty stomach to generate better benefits.
- 22.5mg zinc helps in the better recovery of wounds as it is made with 100 different enzymes.
- The supplement is gluten-free. Non GMOs are verified and tested for herbicides and pesticides, so it is a safe supplement.
- Some users believe that the supplement upset their stomach.
You may also like Best Way to Keep Elderly Hydrated
#6 Thorone Zinc Supplement
These 15 mg zinc supplements feature more absorbable zinc, supporting the immune system and prostate health. The zinc supplement is a high-quality supplement as there are no added fillers in it. Moreover, it includes nutrients like vitamin C, D, olive leaves, and multi-ingredient specialty formula. Therefore, it helps in giving full immune support. This supplement is good for people of all ages.
The supplement further promotes reproductive health and is good for testosterone metabolism because of its natural ingredients. The product comprises the purest ingredients and is gluten-free. This makes it safe to take daily.
The product also contains no soy, dairy, or fish.
- 15 mg zinc picolinate features better absorbable zinc, which helps in improving overall immune health.
- It includes nutrients like vitamin C, D, olive leaves, and multi-ingredient specialty formula, making it safe for people of all ages.
- This supplement helps in promoting reproductive health and is good for testosterone metabolism because of its natural ingredients.
- The supplement is made with the purest ingredients and is gluten-free. This makes it safe to take daily.
- Certain users reported that it might cause stomach ache.
You may also like Best Protein Bars For Seniors
Buyer’s Guide: Best Zinc Supplements For Seniors
You should prefer those zinc supplements made of rich nutrients as these supplements help improve overall immune health. Zinc acts as an antioxidant that protects people against chronic disease and reduces certain infections. So taking these zinc supplements is always a good option.
It is essential to take zinc in the right quantity. Finding a healthy zinc balance can give amazing results to overall health. Choose a zinc supplement that gives you the right amount of zinc for your body.
Free from Additives:
People should buy those zinc supplements that are free from any additives. These zinc supplements are safe for people as they are made of natural ingredients. Certain supplements are made with a multivitamin formula to give benefit to overall immune health. These supplements are, moreover, safe for people of all ages.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can people take zinc every day?
People can take zinc daily, but only a small zinc intake is necessary to reap its benefits. The ideal intake for women is 8 mg and for men is 11 mg. This element is found in most foods, but people can also take zinc supplements to treat their zinc efficiency. Taking it every day in small intakes may help in generating more benefits.
What does zinc do for skin?
The mineral is good in protecting skin lipids and fibroblasts- the cells make collagen and help protect the skin better. Zinc helps to protect the skin as it contains nutrients that heal and rejuvenate skin and enhance its natural glow.
Can zinc be harmful?
Yes, zinc can become harmful for the body if it is being taken in excess quantity. Excessive zinc intake may cause zinc toxicity and cause a range of other symptoms like diarrhea and headaches. So it is important to take zinc in the right quantity. For that, people can also take the recommendations of their doctors.
Zinc is an essential micronutrient for the human body. Zinc supplements are useful to treat an array of ailments. There are many zinc supplements to treat zinc deficiency. In this article, we have selected the best zinc supplements for seniors based on the features mentioned in our buyer’s guide and the ratings and comments mentioned by actual users on Amazon.
In our opinion, the Nature's Bounty Zinc 50 mg Caplets, Unflavored, 100 Count, Pack of 2 is the best choice among the various options that we have considered because it is ideal for seniors and rich in features.
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the Garden of Life Vitamin Code Raw Vegan Zinc Capsules, 30mg High Potency Whole Food Supplement Plus Vitamin C, Trace Minerals & Probiotics for Skin Health & Immune Support, 60 Count, which offers great value and features at a very reasonable price point.