In this article, we have reviewed the best hip protector for seniors. If you are in a hurry, the table below gives a quick snapshot. Or you can scroll down for detailed product reviews.
The most severe fall injury in older adults is a hip that is broken, and in most cases, it takes time to recover from a hip injury. If the stats are to be believed, in the US, almost every year, over 300,000 older adults are hospitalized due to hip fractures. So, what can you do about it? You can buy hip protectors for your loved ones and reduce the possibility of hip fractures.
A hip protector is a simple garment that can be worn under your clothing, covered with padding from all sides, which reduces hip fracture risk due to falling. It is designed for everyday use and comes with a seamless design for enhanced comfort.
There are different designs, styles, and variants of hip protectors available and it can sometimes become difficult to select the right one. In this article, we hope to give you a clear idea of what to look for in a good hip protector for yourself or your loved ones.
We will also present you with a carefully curated buffet of products that we believe are the best hip protectors for seniors available in the market, given our research and analysis on the subject.
Things to consider before you buy a hip protector
Different kinds of hip protectors have different features. Some have good designs, some are comfortable; some are well padded and therefore safer. We take a look at these features which can guide you in the right direction before you make a buying decision.
Comfort is the most crucial feature that you must look for in such garments. Our elders spend most of the hours sitting or sleeping; hence the hip protector must be comfortable to wear throughout.
The padded areas must not be very bulky, as this creates uneasiness. Similarly, seamless design is usually a lot more comfortable to wear throughout the day, since the seams don’t brush against the skin.
The hip protector should be easily washable, made of breathable fabric, long-lasting, and meant for everyday use. Most brands offer cotton-synthetic blend fabric, which is more comfortable than their pure form.
The padding design of hip protectors should be able to protect the hip where it is most vulnerable. This will ensure maximum protection against falls.
You may also like Best Chair for Hip Replacement Patients
Hip protectors are available in many sizes. Hence check on the right size before you buy them, and have a clear idea of the size of your loved one’s hip as well.
There are many types of hip protectors available. Some have soft pads, while some have hard pads. Soft hip protectors are not as efficient in protecting as hard hip protectors; hence choose wisely.
Sewn-in or removable pads
Certain brands offer removable pads in hip protectors which make it easy for laundering or sleeping. Others offer sewn-in pads that can permanently be attached to the garment. Hence, choose the one that suits your loved ones.
Last but not least, don’t forget about your budget. The biggest challenge is to provide everything but under a budget. Therefore go for a hip protector that comes within your budget but is rich in features
Many hip protectors come with anti-microbial and anti-bacterial lining, which makes them more hygienic to wear.
Best Hip Protector For Seniors
#1 Geri Hip PPI-Rap Elderly Hip Protector Pads And Brief
Geri hip protector is made by industrial designers and material scientists to protect the hips of older adults. It consists of comfortable briefs with removable padding on either side. The PPI-RAP technology used in these hip pads produces 40% thinner padding, that is 60 % more effective than other hip protectors.
PPI-RAP technology makes the pads solid when impacted with any surface, and then returns back to soft padding quickly. This makes the technology very innovative and serves the purpose of comfort as well as protection.
The Microban antimicrobial technology present in these pads is another great advantage of this hip pad. It is infused with the padding during manufacturing itself, and whenever microbes try to enter into the padding, the microban technology will destroy their cell lining, thereby killing them off. This makes the pads very safe to wear for a long period.
The pads are specially designed to take the shape of your body, thereby being very discrete. You can walk with confidence when you are wearing this hip protector.
The foam inside the padding is very soft and seamless as well, which makes for maximum comfort to the skin in and around the hips. The pads are available in 4 sizes, from Small to X-large catering to users with a weight of fewer than 115 pounds, right up to those with a weight greater than 200 pounds.
The padding is in the form of inserts that go into pockets sewn inside the briefs. Thus, if you do not need the protectors for some reason, it is possible to remove them and use this product as a simple brief as well.
- Microban antimicrobial technology destroys microbes and germs in this product
- Special PPI-RAP technology solidifies the pads upon contact with any surface, and then immediately returns it back to soft, thus making it comfortable as well as protective
- Available in 4 sizes from small to X-large, catering to a wide variety of weight ranges
- Pads are designed to take the shape of your body, making them very discrete
- The pads can be removed if needed, and the product can be worn like any other briefs
- The foam inside the padding is soft and seamless, therefore this is comfortable for pressure-sensitive skins as well.
- Only white color briefs are available.
- More expensive than other hip protectors available in the market.
You may also like Best Coccyx Cushions for Tailbone Pain
#2 Secure Unisex Soft Hip Protector With Removable Tailbone Pad
The secure unisex hip protector helps in protecting the hip bone from getting injured by falling. It provides perfect grip padding to the hips and helps to reduce the impact of an inadvertent fall accident.
This hip protector also has optional removable tailbone pads. The pads are made from waterproof, high-density memory foam, which contours to the body shape and is thin but firm.
The fabric used is 94% cotton, which makes it very breathable and comfortable. 6% spandex added to the fabric makes it stretchable and elastic.
The hip protectors are latex-free and are machine washable. They also come with a 6-month replacement warranty in case of damage. The product is available in 4 sizes – from small to X-large.
- Includes an optional protector for the tailbone as well.
- The Hip protector pads are made from memory foam which makes them very thin yet protective
- The pads are machine washable and come with a 6-month guarantee
- The fabric used is 94% cotton which makes it breathable, 6% spandex which makes it elastic and stretchable
- Available in 4 sizes from small to X-large
- This is a unisex product available for both men and women
- Padding is a little weighted than other hip protectors available in the market.
- Memory foam tends to lose shape over time
#3 Medline Premium Hip Protectors For Elderly
The Medline Hip Protectors are perfect for those elders who have had a history of hip injury or have weak bones and are prone to falling, have balance issues, or are suffering from osteoporosis.
Advanced Spacer technology padding is used in this hip protector, which helps to disperse the impact of any falls. The hip pads can be worn by both genders
The pants used are made of microfiber, are machine washable and breathable with a nice fit. The pads can also hold incontinence liners in place, which is a useful feature for elderly people who are also afflicted with incontinence.
- 4 3D shield cushions are used in this hip protector, which help to disperse the impact of a fall and therefore protect your hip from injury
- It is a very stretchable hip protector that fits perfectly and can be worn over and under a garment.
- The material of the briefs is highly breathable, it is made of cotton and spandex, which makes it very comfortable for all-day wear
- Can withstand more than 200 machine washes without the pads going bad
- Sizes ranging from Small to XX-large
- The briefs can also be used to hold incontinence liners in place
- It is a unisex product
- The briefs are machine washable and breathable. They are made from microfiber
- Due to 4cushion padding, the undergarment is little weighted.
- Paddings are stitched inside the undergarment. There is no chance you can remove it while washing.
You may also like When Can I Sit On A Normal Chair After Hip Replacement?
#4 Stabilohip Hip Protector Set Fall Protection Brief
Stabilohip hip protectors are made with shock absorbent effect to help cushion the impact of an accidental fall. The protector pads are made from special soft viscco-elastic material, and can be removed easily.
The protector pads are waterproof and are securely positioned in the perfect place in pockets that are strategically placed in the briefs.
The pants themselves are made of lycra and cotton, making them both breathable and elastic. The waist and leg bands are also very elastic, for maximum user comfort. The pants are made of moisture-wicking material, which makes them repel sweat and keep your hips cool and dry at all times.
These hip protector briefs are available in sizes ranging from small to 3X-large, giving perfect fit and comfort to individuals who might have a tendency to get fall-related injuries due to old age or disability.
- Cotton and lycra based briefs. Comfortable, elastic, stretchable, and breathable
- The Hip protectors in these underpants are waterproof
- Hip protectors are placed in strategically created pockets so that they stay in the right place at all times
- The hip protectors can be removed from their pockets and the underpants can be worn as normal ones
- The waist and leg bands are made from elastic material to give the user perfect comfort.
- The briefs use moisture-wicking material to repel sweat and keep you cool and dry at all times.
- Very comfortable and easy to wear.
- Available in a large variety of sizes, from small to 3X-large
- The white color of the fabric can get easily faded
#5 Ali Med hip shield Hip Protector
Thes white underpants with side padding help to protect the hip and the tailbone. Protection pads that are Closed-cell foam are stitched inside the fabric, which help protect hips from injury for those who are prone to fall related injuries.
The pads are oversized and therefore are able to comfortably protect the hip from injury on impact.
The underpants are breathable due to perforations made in the fabric. They are made from a blend of cotton and spandex, which is both comfortable, breathable, and elastic.
They are available in sizes ranging from small to X-large and both men and women can wear these underpants.
- Perfect for those elders who have weak bones and have had a hip injury earlier.
- Spandex and cotton material make the undergarment very cool and wearable.
- Highly comfortable and convenient to wear.
- Side padding is oversized and helps protect the hips easily
- The Closed-cell foam protection pads are stitched inside the garment, to make sure they do not slip out of place
- Sizes ranging from small to X-large are available.
- Machine wash is not recommended as it will make the pads tight.
- No color options available but only white.
You may also like Lifetime Precautions After Hip Replacement
#6 Classic Safe Hip Airx Classic Front Open
Safe hip protector by classic safe is specialized hip protection garment meant for use in hospitals, nursing homes and even at home by elderly individuals.
This product is designed to be worn under an adult diaper, and is ideal for people who suffer from dizziness or dementia.
This undergarment is great for people who are suffering from medium to heavy double incontinence. It is a physically strong product.
The opening at the bottom of these undergarments is useful for changing diapers quickly.
The product is excellent for nighttime use when a higher flow of incontinence might be expected.
- Meant for use in hospitals and homes both
- The open design is meant to be used under an adult diaper
- Works well with medium to heavy level of double incontinence
- Ideal for people who are suffering from dizziness or dementia and are susceptible to falls and hip injuries
- Protective pads are sewn into the underpants so that they cannot slip from position
- Available in sizes XS to 2XL
- Machine washable and meets disinfection standards
- The unique design is useful for people who use adult diapers to be able to take them off and wear one on, without having to take the underpants off
- The fabric is made from cotton and spandex, both elastic as well as comfortable for daily use.
- No tailbone protection in this hip protector
#7 SafetySure Hip Protector
The SafetySure Hip Protector is a lightweight, breathable pair of underpants that helps protect the hip bone and the sides from any injury.
The cushioned padding reduces the impact of an injury on the body. Elders generally face pain due to either osteoporosis or injury. The padding in the garment helps to wear the gear without any fear of getting hurt.
Safety secure underpants wicks moisture from the body and keeps it cool and fresh. The fabric is so soft and airy that it is suitable for both men and women.
The cotton and lycra blended fabric of these underpants makes the wearer feel as if floating on air. The waist size from 30 inches to 42 inches is available, making it fit for slim and weighted elders alike. The pants are completely latex-free.
- Cotton and lycra fabric blended underpants, comfortable and stretchable in equal measure
- Lightweight and breathable pair of underpants
- Latex-free product
- Padding cushions people susceptible to falls and injuries from damage
- Four different sizes, from small to extra-large, are available.
- Cushioned Padding is soft and gives a great feel to the wearer.
- Not suitable for elders with high weight.
It only takes a few minutes to take the correct step for your loved ones. A small garment such as a hip protector can make a huge difference in their well being.
Falls and injuries are an unfortunate reality of life for many seniors. By taking a small step and choosing to remain protected, our loved ones can avoid a major mishap.
In this article, we have selected the best hip protector for seniors based on the features mentioned in our buyer’s guide and the ratings and comments mentioned by actual users on Amazon.
In our opinion, the Prevent Products, Inc. - GeriHip¨ PPI-Rapª Elderly Hip Protector Pads & Brief, Hip Protection for Elderly Falls, Large/White is the best choice among the various options that we have considered because it is very comfortable, rich in features, and serves the purpose.
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the Medline Premium Hip Protectors for Elderly, Unisex Hip Pads for Seniors, Comfortable Fall Injury Protection, XX-Large Hip Pants for 48-60 Inch Waist, 1 Pair, which offers great value and features at a very reasonable price point.
While we make every effort to provide updated and correct information, the advice given in this article and website should not be construed as “medical advice”. Please consult with your physician or medical practitioner before using any hip protection.
Each individual may have his or her unique issues and your medical practitioner is the best person to decide the best hip protectors for seniors, based on your case history.