In this article, we will discuss does a TENS machine help in plantar fasciitis and your best options? If you are in a hurry, the table below gives a quick snapshot of your best options.
Do you often complain of foot problems? Around 75% of Americans will experience foot problems in their lives. The pain of plantar fasciitis can be annoying, especially if it is not treated properly. But with the advent of new technologies, you can get relief from these pains.
A TENS machine for plantar fasciitis is of great use to heal from plantar fasciitis. TENS therapy uses low-frequency electrical current. It stimulates plantar fascia to improve blood flow and block pain signals.
In this article on TENS units we will guide you in detail about the uses and benefits of a TENS machine. You can select the best options for TENS machines for plantar fasciitis.
Does A TENS Machine Helps In Plantar Fasciitis And Your Best Options
People with lifestyles that require a lot of walking and running often suffer from foot problems. Plantar fasciitis pain is quite common among today’s people. So a TENS machine provides a safe and drug-free therapy to reduce the pain of plantar fasciitis.
However, a TENS machine won’t guarantee to heal your plantar fasciitis completely. However, it is good to use as a safe pain relief option. Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation [ TENS] therapy is effective in reducing foot pain. The TENS technology works with the body’s nerves and is good to use for arches or swelling.
How Does Plantar Fasciitis Occur?
When plantar fascia- the ligament that runs from heel-toe becomes strained, then plantar fasciitis can occur. It can happen because of flat feet, high arches, or regularly wearing old shoes. You will notice pain and stiffness in the feet. Around 70 million American people suffer from plantar fasciitis.
Plantar fasciitis is a pain in your heel. It can enhance especially, when you continue to do your activities and ignore the pain. These machines are a good choice to heal from severe foot issues. So using a TENS machine for foot pain can be of great use.
You may also like Best Plantar Fasciitis Flip Flops
How can TENS Therapy Help In Plantar Fasciitis Pain?
Using a TENS machine for the pain of plantar fasciitis can be a lifesaver. It simply works by sending gentle electrical pulses through the skin via electrode pads. These electrical impulses block pain signals from the brain and replace them.
The impulses also release endorphins which act as a body’s natural pain killer. It also helps in increasing the blood flow in your feet and encourages a faster healing process. Using TENS therapy is safer than relying on anti-inflammatory, which can be a bad option.
The device is designed to improve blood flow as it gives a gentle pulsing sensation. It produces a current that causes muscles in feet and legs to contract so that your feet will feel relaxed.
How to Use A TENS Machine?
It would help if you used a TENS machine after taking proper advice from your doctor. You can personally control these machines and can adjust the settings. You can use this machine for a 15 to 20 minutes session.
You can control the amplitude and frequency of electrical impulses. The right placement of electrode pads and the machine settings help you use the machine better.
You can follow these simple steps to use a TENS machine for feet pain
- Clean your feet properly, free of any oil or dirt.
- Then apply the sticky electrode pads around the painful areas.
- At least it would help if you took a one-inch gap between the electrode pads.
- Secure the pads with the medical tape and set them to the lowest settings.
- You will feel a slight tingling of the muscles on the painful part of the area.
- You can also increase the settings up to a point.
- You can have three to four sessions in a day, depending upon the severity of the pain.
You may also like Can A TENS Machine Help In Weight Loss
TENS Unit Pads Placement for Plantar Fasciitis
When you use a TENS pad for plantar fasciitis, you can place it on the arch of your feet. You can also place it on the bottom of your heel or at the sides of the heel. Certain units offer different levels of settings to customize the intensity of your treatment.
You can apply the pads to certain areas where you will feel comfortable so that you can have better usage of this therapy.
Selection Criteria for TENS Machine
To select a TENS machine for foot pain, you need to consider a few points, such as the number of pads, modes, and channels. If your machine contains more pads, you can easily place them on any part of the body at your convenience. Hence, we have chosen the TENS unit with multiple pads of all sizes.
The modes in your machine helps to change the therapy type. From the kneading to hammering mode option, you can select any one that eases your pain.
TENS Machines with dual channels and four channels have been selected as they can work on multiple parts of your body.
Does TENS Therapy Work?
You can always use a TENS machine for foot pain and also other types of pain including, sciatica, arthritis, periods, etc. The TENS therapy also works great for knee pain and back pain. Talking about plantar fasciitis, a major study separated plantar fasciitis sufferers into two groups. One group used stretching and orthotics, and the other group used stretching orthotics and low-frequency stimulation therapy.
In the study, it was found out that both groups reported significantly less pain in the morning. So we can say that you can trust this therapy to get relief from plantar fasciitis pain. It works for plantar fasciitis and other kinds of foot problems.
You may also like Plantar Fasciitis Night Socks
Frequently Asked Questions
Is TENS therapy a safe option for your feet?
TENS therapy is safe for your feet. It can be done at home with a portable unit. The therapy involves minimal risk as it works with all forms of muscles. However, you must take care while adjusting the settings. If the settings are too high, it can cause muscle stiffness; moreover, working longer hours is also not good. So it would help if you used this therapy with the required precautions.
Can overusing a TENS machine is harmful?
There is no real danger of using a TENS machine for plantar fasciitis or other foot problems. However, you must give a break to your skin from the electrode pads. You can do it after every 20 minutes. It can pose certain kinds of problems like skin redness or skin irritation. So you must not use it for too long.
You may also like Best Plantar Fasciitis Night Splint for Small Feet
Best TENS Machine For Plantar Fasciitis
#1 AUVON TENS UNIT For Pain Relief
- Four Channels: the TENS unit comes with four channels for usage. You can apply up to eight pads at the same time. With its four outputs, you can get better relief from feet pain.
- 24 Modes: this unit gives the option to switch between 24 modes. The A/B channel can work with different modes and different levels. You can select from three intensities.
- Extra Large Screen: the LCD screen gives an easy-to-use interface. You can easily read the icons and select the intensity that best suits you.
- Pads: its industry-leading electoral pads provide excellent performance up to 45 times. So that you can use it efficiently.
#2 AUVON TENS Unit with Dual Channel
- 20 Modes: the unit provides the option of 20 modes. The pre-set modes offer multiple-choice to relieve unbearable pain. It relaxes your muscles and helps in better pain management.
- Independent Mode Control: you can set separate modes from channels A and B. Channel A provides acupuncture mode, and channel B provides tapping mode. You can select the intensity to 12 levels.
- Pads: the 24 pieces of electrode pads provide self-stick performance to your knees and elbows. Moreover, you can easily clean these pads.
You may also like Is A TENS Machine Useful For Labor And Your Best Options
#3 Xpoint TENS Machine with 24 Modes
- Design: the TENS unit gives an ideal way to heal from plantar fasciitis and other foot pain. It is made of high-quality material with a dust-proof drawstring storage bag. You can use its 24 modes to get quick relief from pain.
- Massage Modes: the different massaging modes gives you the convenience to choose the best one for you. The A/B dual-channel comes with 20 levels of massaging intensities. It lets you enjoy light pressured touches.
- Portable: the unit is portable and easy to carry. Its compact size gives you the convenience to carry it wherever you go. You can carry all parts in an easy way.
#4 TENKER TENS Unit with Rechargeable Pain Reliever
- Dual Output Design: the dual output design allows it to use by two persons for different body areas. Its + and – buttons let you increase or decrease the intensity for the selected area. It features four pads that you can use at a time.
- 24 Modes: the 24 modes created using body simulation technology, bionic technology, bio-electric, and intelligent micro-computer technology. It helps in penetrating deep down your muscles. The unit is ideal for healing from muscle stiffness and swellings. Just setting the massaging modes lets you use this machine with better ease.
- Pocket-sized: the unit is small and is easy to fit inside your pockets. You can enjoy this therapy wherever you go. It is portable and gives convenience to carry.
- Battery: the rechargeable lithium battery provides up to 10 hours of continuous use. You can connect it with a USB or with a wall socket. The battery level reminds you of when it needs to charge.
You may also like Which TENS Machine Is The Best – Top 10 Compared
#5 Easy@Home TENS Unit Therapy Device
- Dual-Channel: the unit comes with a dual independent channel. You can use them on different parts of your body with different intensity levels. The unit gives ease to adjust the level as per your body parts.
- Pads: the four electrode pads are good to give relief from stiff muscles. These pads are good at stimulating the blood flow in your body. It relaxes your sore and tired muscles. Thus, it helps in increasing the blood flow efficiently.
- Portable: the TENS unit is portable and easy to carry. You can take it while traveling or for other activities. Its large LCD screen shows the type of massage you want to select.
- Pattern: the unit gives a programmatic pattern of stimulation to various body parts. The ten intensity level gives ease to adjust the settings. The pulse stimulation speed is adjustable.
#6 Massage Therapy Concept Muscle Stimulator TENS Unit
- TENS and EMS Dual Channel: the TENS unit massager gives pain relief to your muscles. It features 12 modes with 20 adjustable intensity levels. Electrotherapy is good to heal from foot pain. This therapy relieves your muscles and helps in the healing process.
- Channels: the dual channels are good to work for different parts of your body.The four-electrode roads are ideal for enhancing the blood flow. These pads give relief to your sore muscles and let you feel comfortable and relaxed.
- Timer: the TENS unit comes with a 60 minutes adjustable timer. It automatically shuts off after the usage. The timer gives ease to adjust the time of your therapy. So that you will come to know about the exact time.
- Portable: the premium grade construction makes this unit more durable. It has a compact size which makes it easy to take it wherever you go. You can use it at home or take it to the office or while travelling.
You may also like Can Plantar Fasciitis Cause Hip Pain?
The pain of plantar fasciitis can limit your movement and affect your lifestyle. Hence get a TENS machine for foot pain today to say goodbye to all your pains.
In this article, we have selected the best TENS machine for plantar fasciitis based on number of pads, channels and ease of use.
In our opinion, the AUVON 4 Outputs TENS Unit EMS Muscle Stimulator Machine for Pain Relief Therapy with 24 Modes Electric Pulse Massager, 2" and 2"x4" Electrodes Pads (Black) is the best choice for plantar fasciitis, because it is good for instant pain relief. Unlike dual channels, you can apply up to eight pads with four outputs which helps to give fast results.
The AUVON Dual Channel TENS Unit Muscle Stimulator (Family Pack), 20 Modes Rechargeable TENS Machine with Huge Pack of 24 Pcs Reusable TENS Unit Electrode Pads (2"x2" 16pcs, 2"x4" 8pcs) is another great choice, because the rechargeable massager stimulates the sensory nerves and activates your pain gate mechanism. Those suffering from various foot issues can use it for better results.
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the Easy@Home TENS Unit Muscle Stimulator - Electronic Pulse Massager, 510K Cleared, FSA Eligible OTC Home Use handheld Pain Relief therapy Device-Pain Management Machine Gift for Mom Dad - EHE009, which offers great value and features at a very reasonable price point.
While we make every effort to provide updated and correct information, the advice given in this article and website should not be construed as “medical advice”. Please consult with your physician or medical practitioner before using any TENS machine. Each individual may have his or her unique issues and your medical practitioner is the best person to decide the best TENS machine for your case.