This article discusses the uses of a TENS machine for period pain reduction. If you are looking for the best options to use, you can refer to the table below
Do you depend on painkillers during periods? There must be many times you cannot go to work or school during menstruation as the condition becomes too severe for you to even move.
Nothing sucks as much as period pain! Heavy period pains are called Dysmenorrhea in technical terms. This means difficulty in blood flow in Greek.
Fortunately, a TENS machine can help with this excruciating menstrual pain. Let me take you through some of the uses of a TENS machine for period pain reduction.
5 Conditions Of Severe Periods Pain
If you have moderate pain during menstruation that is not interrupting your daily life, then it’s nothing to worry about. But if you have any of these conditions, your periods of pain might make you suffer a lot.
- PMS or premenstrual syndrome occurs in your body between ovulation and a period.
- Endometriosis is a condition when tissue outlining the uterus increases outwards.
- Fibroids can cause you utter pain if you are in the childbearing stage. This is a non-cancerous growth in the uterus.
- The pelvic inflammatory disease develops when there is an infection in the reproductive organs.
- Premenstrual dysphoric disorder can cause excess irritability and mood swings during menstruation.
More than half of menstruating women have period-related problems that make them home-bound. Now the question comes how to cure this? Well, you can’t cure menstrual pain because it is a natural process, not a disease. But you can reduce its intensity.
Uses of A TENS Machine In Period Pain Reduction
TENS machines are proven to give relief in menstruation pain. It may sound unbelievable to you until you know how a TENS machine for cramps works! Here are the significant roles it plays
There are a lot of people taking advantage of the TENS machine as it does not temporarily reduce pain, like ointments and pain killers. It penetrates the skin and works on the nerves directly. This is why it breaks the cycle of pain.
It is a tiny and light device that runs on a battery. Using it and receiving treatment is as easy as anything. All you do is attach the pads to your lower abdomen area and your back.
Switch the power on and get ready to receive electrical pulses with a sharp tingling sensation.
These pulses obstruct the nerves carrying pain signals to reach the spinal cord and brain. Your brain does not receive those pain signals, and you don’t feel any pain! There is no magic, but science does wonder! Also, it relaxes the muscles, so you don’t get sudden cramps.
TENS machines stimulate endorphin production inside the body. Endorphin is a hormone that behaves as a natural painkiller. This is the other factor that helps in reducing pain.
You may also like Top Accessories for a TENS machine
Three Types Of People Who Should Not Use a TENS Machine
All the period pain TENS machines offer safe treatment, and there is no complaint of any considerable side effects. Unless you are using the device in forbidden areas, it won’t create any issue.
Indeed, this device is not safe for everyone. Don’t forget to seek medical advice before using the TENS machine if you fall under these categories….
- A person using a pacemaker or underwent metal implant
- A person is expecting a baby.
- A person is having epilepsy or heart disease.
Two Modes Of A TENS Machine For Period Pain Relief
- Relieve Mode: Relieve mode releases signals of a particular frequency that help in pain gating and releases beta-endorphin. If you suffer from primary period pain for headaches during menstruation, this helps. It’s recommendable to use release mode for at least an hour to see the benefit. If you still feel abdominal cramps, you can go for a longer duration. You can use this successively or on an alternate basis.
- Ease Mode: Ease mode eases the regulation of uterine muscles. Some female bodies generate prostaglandins more than the average amount, their uterus contracts more strongly. The muscle starts contracting for a more extended period and becomes deprived of oxygen. Ultimately period pain becomes severe. Those women should apply the device to the abdomen to reduce the contraction and relief excessive pain. What mode does is offer you a short muscle contraction period and then a long muscle relaxation period. The oxygen gets time to flow back to the muscle during relaxation.
You may also like Is A TENS Machine Useful For Tennis Elbow
Features Of A TENS Machine For Periods Pain
Here is a detailed point-by-point discussion on features you receive in a TENS machine.
- Works fast: As soon as you put the pads in the right place and switch on the device, you get relief within a few minutes. It starts showing effect within 10 minutes or so. But if you have acute menstrual cramps, it might take more time. If you compare having with or without the machine, the difference is enormous.
- Long-lasting effect: The product doesn’t claim to cure period disorder completely. It just alleviates the pain. As compared to painkillers and lotions, it shows a long-lasting effect. TENS machines don’t offer short-lived relief like them. Not just menstrual cramps, it relieves you from headache, backache, leg cramps, bloating, and fatigue. This is because it works on the pain source directly.
- Safe: TENS machine is proven to give the safest relief ever. Unlike PMS pills and supplements, it doesn’t produce any potential side effects in your body. Also, it is not addictive.
- Complete kit: They know what you need. Hence you receive a whole kit of equipment along with the product, whichever is necessary to set up and use. Whether it is a charger, carrying case, cover, cords, pads, you get everything.
Frequently Asked Questions: Uses Of A Tens Machine For Period Pain Reduction
How long does pain relief last?
It depends on how acute your pain is and how long you are using a TENS unit. On average, the relief lasts for 4 hours straight. Users have also experienced that the relief lasts for more than 24 hours, and sometimes it doesn’t come back. Unless you have a severe injury inside, the relief will long last.
What are the uses of a TENS machine for period pain reduction?
This is one of the common questions we get related to TENS. TENS machines can reduce all kinds of pain like Period pain, labor pain, postoperative pain, Arthritis pain, joint pain, neck and back pain. It also relieves muscle spasms and gives a relaxed feel.
You may also like TENS Machine Replacement Pads
How do TENS machines relieve pain?
TENS machines work on gate control theory. It just closes the gate of signals. The electrode attached to the pad produces many electrical impulses that start flooding your nervous system. It becomes challenging for the signals to reach the spinal cord and brain. So you don’t get any painful feelings.
How can I reduce my menstrual pain?
Apart from using TENS machines, there are many home remedies for menstrual pain. Methods such as using a hot pad, massaging the pain area with essential oils, avoiding fatty foods and alcohol, taking anti-oxidants such as chamomile tea and chia seeds, and adding lots of water and calcium to your diet have been known to help out. OTC pain medications should be avoided, but in severe cases, they can help to numb the pain for some time.
Top 5 TENS Machines For Period Pain
#1 AUVON Dual Channel TENS Unit
- Pain relief: Like any massaging you need, it stimulates the sensory nerves and massages muscles to activate blood flow. This triggers the pain gate mechanism. Hence you feel lesser pain after a while. This TENS unit is also helpful to relax your body.
- 20 MODES: There are 20 modes in this machine that gives you the feel of hammering, kneading, shiatsu, and other massage techniques. It relieves you from aching and tired muscles. It helps in generating new energy in stressed muscles.
- High-quality TENS pads: The electrode pads are self-adhesive and reusable. You can use it for up to 45 uses. These pads are different in size that you can choose to cover small or more significant areas of your skin.
You may also like Best Pregnancy Pillows for Plus Size
#2 AUVON 4 Outputs TENS Unit
- Four channels: There are four channels in units A1 A2 and B1 B2. Channel massages your left back and right back and has intensity levels up to 4. At the same time, channel B messages your lower back areas. It has an intensity level up to level 20. These A/B channels with four outputs work simultaneously on different parts of your body to give relief quickly.
- TENS + EMS unit: This is a unique feature. It has the combined power of two therapies in a single unit. Here TENS acts as a muscle stimulator that doctors and physical therapists most prefer. In contrast, EMS brings relief from muscle contraction by increasing endurance in the strength of muscles. It works similar to a rehab or strength training tool.
- Upgraded pads: This TENS device has ten pads. But these are not like the conventional ones but upgraded ones. These are low impedance and solid gel-based. A special kind of American adhesive is included to improve the self-adhesive feature. It is most recommended for a longer lifespan. It is easy to clean up. Pad has super soft fabric that your skin will love.
#3 NURSAL EMS TENS Unit
- Multifunctional: Everyone has a different body and different pain. This is why this machine is designed to keep it multi-functional. You can use it flexibly. It has embedded body simulation technology and microcomputer control technology that curbs period pain and muscle spasms. You can also treat the pain of Arthritis, injury, or any disorder.
- Adjustable options: You have an option to adjust the timer and intensity as per your comfort. There are 20 intensity levels to choose from. Beginners or anyone with the minor pain can try at low-intensity levels, while high intensity is for experienced ones. The + and – buttons help you to increase and decrease the intensity, respectively. You can set the timer between 10 to 60 minutes, depending on your need.
- Pocket-sized: Like any other TENS machine, this is a pocket-sized machine. It means you can put it in your pocket and go anywhere. Whether you are in a bus, Cab, home, office, or gym, you can get instant relief anywhere.
You may also like Must Haves After a C-Section
#4 Intensity at Home TENS Unit
- Electrotherapy: This product is based on electrotherapy that generates electrical signals to cure pain during periods muscles contract near the abdomen and legs. This is called cramps, and it is a harrowing situation. A good massage which electrotherapy shows positive results. It gives the best pain-relieving method without any side effects.
- Electric massager: It has dual-channel programs set on different body parts and enjoys specific programs. There are two therapeutic programs for acute conditions and chronic conditions. These programs are pre-set. It can help reduce menstruation pain and leg cramps. It also relaxes your foot and arm and gives a good shoulder massage, just like your favorite spa session.
- Intensity: Both of the two therapeutic programs have 100 levels of intensity. Plus, these are customizable to suit your needs. It helps you to gain utter satisfaction.
#5 Ohuhu TENS & Powered Muscle Stimulator Massager
- Muscle stimulator: This device works on electric muscle stimulation. It generates a mild electric current and transfers it to your body. This causes the muscle to contract repetitively. After successive contractions, blood flow in the muscle improves and becomes uniform. This puts less pressure on the uterus, which leads to comfortable period days.
- Sixteen modes: You might not have the same kind of pain every day, so you don’t need the same intensity of the TENS machine every time. Thankfully this TENS unit allows you to choose from 16 modes. Change the mode as per your comfort.
You may also like Are Probiotics Safe To Take During Pregnancy?
Many women are getting benefited from TENS machines. Now periods won’t be a big issue. A TENS machine will help you to leave those ‘hardest 3 days’ like any other day of your life. You can choose any one of the products listed above. Each is amazing!
However, in our opinion, the AUVON Dual Channel TENS Unit Muscle Stimulator Machine with 20 Modes, 2" and 2"x4" TENS Unit Electrode Pads is the best product for period pain. This product has dual modes and is easy to use with 20 customizable pain relief modes and variable intensity levels. The TENS machines is durable, so you can use this every month for around a year.
The AUVON 4 Outputs TENS Unit EMS Muscle Stimulator Machine for Pain Relief Therapy with 24 Modes Electric Pulse Massager, 2" and 2"x4" Electrodes Pads (Black) is another great option. This has four channels and even higher intensity options than the previous AUVON device. Moreover, its a TENS+EMS combo that can also be used for weight loss and face and skin problems.
If you are looking for a value for money product, Ohuhu Tens Unit Muscle Stimulator: 24 Modes Rechargeable Tens Stimulator Machine- 16 Pads Electric EMS Unit Massager for Back Shoulder Legs Pain Relief Mother Father, Valentine's Day Gift- Silver offers good pain relief at a reasonable price point.
If you find this article valuable, we hope you won’t mind sharing it with others whom you care about. Also, let us know what you think about the TENS machine? Did it help you to overcome pain?
While we make every effort to provide updated and correct information, the advice given in this article and website should not be construed as “medical advice”. Please consult with your physician or medical practitioner before using any TENS Machine. Each individual may have his or her unique issues and your medical practitioner is the best person to decide the best TENS machine for period pain reduction for your case.