Can openers can be tricky for many people, but for elders, it can become a daunting task. Arthritic hands and fingers can make this everyday humdrum task a frustrating one. The twisting and squeezing involved can be unbearable on inflamed joints. So the best can openers for the elderly are the ones that require little strength and are easy to operate.
In the United States, “arthritis affected an estimated 52.5 million adults in 2010-2012 and has been projected to affect 78.4 million adults by 2040,” wrote the team led by CDC researcher Kamil Barbour.
There are many options available for manual can openers for people who have arthritis or for aged people. Considering their health condition, we have selected some of the best manual can openers for seniors which are easy to use, require very little strength and can open cans in just a few twists.
If you are in a hurry, the table below gives a quick snapshot of the top 6.
Our Top Choice – KitchenAid Can Opener
The KitchenAid Can Opener, Black, One Size is our top choice for Best Manual Can Openers For Seniors.
This can opener has a large, easy to turn knob that makes opening a tin can a breeze. The opener is good for people with weak hands as it has ergonomically designed large handles that fit easily in one’s palm.
Some of its other good features are:
- Large ergonomic handles for better grip.
- Oversized knob so that it can be turned easily even by people with weak hands.
- Stainless steel blade for a perfect cut, leaving no edges
- Easy to clean
Best Manual Can Openers For Seniors
#1 KitchenAid Can Opener
This can opener is great for the elderly as it comes with easy to turn grip knobs. The knobs are designed for seniors or arthritic patients to open cans without putting much strain on their hands.
The opener comes with an excellent locking mechanism. Moreover, ergonomic handles make for steady and swift movements while you are opening a can, providing an excellent grip.
The opener features a sharp, stainless-steel cutting wheel. Its durable and solid construction makes this can opener stable to use and dependable. The stainless steel construction makes it solid and it can open all kinds of cans with very little effort.
- Durable, ergonomic handles provide a better grip.
- Knobs for easy opening of the cans.
- Stainless steel solid construction.
- It helps to open cans of all sizes.
- The can opener measures 9 ½ inches long.
- The weight of this can opener is 8 ounces.
- A few users complained that after some months of usage the can openers handles twist without opening the can, making the product useless
- This can opener has been noted to rust after a few months, despite the stainless steel construction
#2 Zyliss Can Opener
Zyliss Opener is a versatile manual opener. This opener features an advanced locking mechanism, which securely locks the cutting wheels in place. It helps the elderly to open cans easily without putting much stress on their hands and allows for easy hand movements.
The smooth and easy to turn handles are made of soft-touch design to reduce your hand fatigue. The can opener has sharpened stainless steel wheels that puncture these cans easily.
There are built-in magnets that lift the lids of the can easily. Once you squeeze and puncture the top, the can opener locks securely on to the can. There is a red release button that you need to press when you finish unlocking.
- Soft-touch handles make for a more controlled non-slip grip.
- Smooth turning handles give better comfort to your hands.
- A magnet for easy lid removal.
- The knob is designed for less strain in the hand.
- Seven inches manual handheld locking can opener.
- The weight of this can opener is 0.008 ounces.
- The plastic snap parts may break after some usage.
- It is not a very sturdy can opener.
You might be interested in reading: Best ADA Compliant Microwave
#3 OXO Soft-Handled Can Opener
This manual can opener lets you make precise and worry-free cuts on your cans, because it has a sharp and sturdy stainless steel cutting wheel.
This soft handled can opener is comfortable for elderly people with weak hands. Its large knobs and soft, comfortable handles are not just easy to use but also safe.
It leaves a smooth and easy-to-dispose-off edge while cutting. It’s easy to use interface makes this can opener an essential kitchen tool. The oversized knobs turn easily and let you open cans of any size.
- Big, cushioned handles give an excellent non-slip grip to those who find it difficult to grip items.
- The stainless steel sharp cutting wheel gives a smooth and polished cut every time, while also being durable.
- A built-in bottle opener is a useful accessory
- The oversized knob lets you open the can without putting too much pressure on your hands.
- Leaves no sharp edges and is therefore very safe to use, especially for elderly people.
- The weight of this can opener is only 1 pound, so even those with weak hands can operate it without much trouble
- After some use, the top wheel of the manual can opener can freeze, thereby making it useless
- A few users complained that they received counterfeit products in shipping
#4 Good Cook Can Opener
Good Cook Can Opener is made with a heavy-duty chrome construction. It is an extremely safe can opener, which has a patented design for the blade so that it never touches your food, thus eliminating the possibility of any food contamination.
It has long ergonomic handles, which make it easy to grip the can opener, especially for people with weaker fingers and hands. Its non-slip plastic knob is also easy to turn without putting much pressure on your hands.
It has rust-resistant gear-driven blades which give a strong grip. It is designed to be anti-breaking, anti-warping, anti-scratching, anti-staining, and anti-tarnishing.
There are no sharp edges on the opener, which makes the product very safe. The can opener is not stiff and does not restrict the movement of your hands. This can opener can separate the opened lid without creating any sharp edges, making it safe for use by the elderly.
- Heavy-duty chrome construction makes this can opener very durable.
- Long, ergonomically designed handles for easy grip by weaker hands.
- Non-slip plastic knob, which can be gripped easily even if your fingers do not have much strength.
- Safe and easy to use can opener.
- It can remove the lid without creating any serrated edges, making it very safe to use.
- The weight of this can opener is only 4 ounces, so it is easy to handle by people with weaker hands.
- The gear that turns the can opener can become loose after a few uses.
- Some users complained that the product stopped working after a few months.
You might be interested in reading: Best ADA Compliant Refrigerator
#5 Kuhun Rikon Can Opener
This can opener combines comfort with safety. On the safety front, you can open cans without cutting the metal, which leaves no sharp edges on the lid. Secondly, this opener does not make contact with the contents of the can, thus ensuring hygiene for the user.
On the comfort front, this opener lets seniors open cans without putting much pressure on their hands. It comes with five different opener functions in a single gadget.
It can ring pull cans, crown cap bottles, screw-top bottles, and jars. There are mini pliers on the can opener that can remove lids. You can open nearly everything with the help of this versatile can opener, thus making it a suitable opener for those with limited strength and mobility in their hands and wrists.
- This master opener combines 5 types of lid and can opening tools in a single device.
- A long handle provides extra grip.
- Designed to be a safe and comfortable opener.
- Lock-on technology grips the lid in a better way.
- The opener does not make contact with the contents of the can.
- The weight of this can opener is 4 ounces.
- May leave a long shred of sharp metal.
- It is a huge opener that may cause injury if not used properly.
#6 Swing-A-Way Opener
This can opener by Swing-A-Way comes with a magnet, which helps to lift the lid off for safe and easy disposal. It is an easy to use opener that does not have to be gripped tightly.
The extremely durable steel construction makes it easy to open even difficult lids. You can open any can without having to strain your hands.
The can opener can lock in three different positions when not in use, making it safe for use.
High carbon steel is used to make the cutting wheel that allows the user to open the can with ease. without having to put a lot of pressure.
The opener is ergonomically designed, it has a soft cushioned grip which makes for comfortable handling. This can opener can accommodate most can sizes.
Another excellent feature of this opener is that it can easily be mounted to a wall, therefore making it a space-saving gadget.
- This opener can easily mount to walls, thereby making it a space-saving device.
- It has a built-in magnet which can lift the lid once you cut through it, making it extremely hygienic and safe
- This can opener has a durable metal construction with gear cutting wheels.
- It locks in 3 positions, making it very safe to use by the elderly.
- The cutting edge is smooth and skip-proof, while also being strong. It easily glides across the surface of the lid, making it a smooth cut with no edges and the magnet easily lifts the lid after the process is completed.
- The weight of this can opener is 15.2 ounces.
- Some users complained that the wheel slipped out of place after a few months of use.
- As per some users, the metal body of this opener is thin as compared to other peers.
You might be interested in reading: Best ADA Compliant Dishwasher
#7 Swing-A-Way Easy Crank Can Opener
The swing-A-Way crank can opener features an extra-long crank handle for an easier grip for users who have difficulty in gripping things. It reduces the strain on your hands as you turn the crank, as less force is required for a larger handle.
The handle is covered with a super-soft grip, which makes it very comfortable to hold. Another good point about the handle is that it can easily fit in hands of any size – large or small.
There is a useful little bottle opener built into this can opener as well.
Like its previous peer, this can opener also has a high carbon cutting wheel and skid-proof cutter which gives you a perfect cut every time.
- Comfortable to hold and easy to use the long handle, which does not require too much effort in turning it while opening a lid.
- Soft cushion grip ensures a comfortable grip while opening cans.
- Extremely durable steel construction.
- Easily removes bottle caps in one swift motion with the built-in bottle opener
- High carbon glides and skip-proof cutters for smooth and easy cuts.
- The weight of this can opener is 7.2 ounces, which is comfortable to hold even with weaker hands
- A few users have mentioned that the quality of this can opener has deteriorated in recently shipped products. As a result, this product has been losing some long time customers.
- The cutter is not as strong as advertised, as per recent reviews from customers.
What Should You Look For Before Buying a Manual Can Opener for Seniors?
The well-cushioned handles of these can openers are specially designed for the comfort of the elderly. Ideal handles are one that ensures a good grip and puts less strain on your hands. The handheld and well-cushioned handles give you a better grip and comfort while the opening of the cans.
Smooth Cutting Wheel
A smooth and powerful cutting wheel will ensure that the edges of the lid will not have any serrated cuts, thereby making them safe for elderly hands. This way you can’t accidentally cut yourself when you remove the lids of the metal cans. The best can openers are ones that have sharp cutters and gives you a safe tin opening experience.
The durability of can openers is one important consideration. People always prefer those can openers that cannot rust easily and last for a long time. Sturdy and durable can openers made of the right material can help you use these cans for a long time without any fear of rusting.
For seniors, holding a can opener to open the can is itself a challenge. There are several heavy devices in the market that are just not meant to be lifted by people who have weaker hands. While they may be good can openers, they are not the ones you should buy if you are looking at a product for seniors
Some can openers have an in-built magnet for lifting the lid once the can has been opened. This ensures that the can opener never touches the food. This is an important hygiene aspect, and therefore we strongly recommend such can openers especially for seniors.
You might be interested in reading: Best Lightweight Cookware for the Elderly
Frequently Asked Questions:
Do can openers leave sharp edges?
Can openers cut below the top edges so that the lids can be easily removed and reused. Can openers with stainless steel cutting wheels leave sharp edges and work efficiently without touching the contents of the can.
Which can openers don’t rust?
The high-quality stainless steel can openers won’t rust easily. Moreover, people prefer such can openers as they offer better durability with a long life span. These high-quality stainless steel constructed can openers won’t rust or tarnish or fall apart over time. They look beautiful in your kitchen.
How often should you clean a can opener?
It depends upon the can opener as and when they need cleaning. But it is advisable to clean them more often. You can wash can openers after every use as there are chances of bacteria building upon it.
Do can openers have chances of rusting?
Yes, it is possible for can openers to rust over a period of time. This is because they come in contact with metals, food liquid, and dust. Rusting can also increase if you don’t clean the openers properly. Washing regularly and wiping dry can elongate the life of your can opener.
You might be interested in reading: Best Electric Kettles for Elderly
The best can openers for the elderly are the ones that do not strain their hands. A manual can opener for the elderly should have long and soft handles for a comfortable grip. It should also have features such as a cutting wheel that can cut without leaving any edges, a magnet for lifting the lid easily once it is removed, and other safety features. If you want less work, we suggest to get a electric can opener.
In this article, we have selected the best manual can openers for seniors based on the features mentioned in our buyer’s guide and the ratings and comments mentioned by actual users on Amazon.
In our opinion, the KitchenAid Can Opener, Black, One Size is the best choice among the various options that we have considered because it is perfect for elders.
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the Swing-A-Way Wall Mount Can Opener with Magnet, 1-Pack, White -, which offers great value and features at a very reasonable price point.
Here are some more commonly used items that have been modified for weaker hands:
- Best Golf Rangefinders for Shaky Hands
- Best Theraputty- Exercise Putty For Hand Strength
- Best Camera For Shaky Hands
- 12 Best Vacuum Cleaners for Arthritis Sufferers and Bad Back
- Best Adaptive Utensils for Arthritis