This article will discuss whether a TENS machine be used for neck pain and your best options. If you are in a hurry, the table below gives a quick snapshot of your best options.
Are you someone who’s suffering from neck pain because of staying in a sitting or leaning position for long? Based on NCBI research conducted on six hundred individuals, 20.3% of people suffered from neck pain and complained of their sitting position’s primary reason.
If you are searching for something to give you relief from neck pain, you are at the right place. When the research was conducted to evaluate a TENS machine’s efficiency on neck pain, the results were terrific.
This article will clear off any doubts you have regarding tens machine usage for neck pain and suggest the best options we have got to get one.
Can A Tens Machine Be Used For Neck Pain And Your Best Options
How To Treat Your Neck Pain?
Reasons for neck pain might vary from person to person, and treatments change based on the cause. One might get well-using drugs, and the other might get well by doing simple neck exercises. If your neck pain is because of your sitting posture during work, short-term remedies won’t work as they will resurface often.
People these days are opting for drug-free treatments rather than using medicines. One such treatment which is popular these days is Electrotherapy. Electrotherapy is all about using electric impulses on the part having discomfort to address any pain. One of the most prominent devices used and working on this principle is Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation, popularly known as TENS.
Can We Use The TENS Machine On The Neck?
As the TENS machine is built based on this principle of Electrotherapy, its primary purpose is to address the pain and give relief from it either by stimulating electric signals. Research done on the effectiveness of TENS to address neck pain has given out positive results.
What Happens When You Keep A TENS Machine On Your Neck?
Keep the device off and take the electrode pads. When you place the machine’s electrode pads on the discomfort spot, switch on the device. Next, set the intensity level and mode which you want. A small electrical impulse is generated on the site of pain in the nerve, causing a tingling sensation.
This impulse promotes endorphins to release pain-relieving hormones or stops pain signals from reaching the brain and the spinal cord. This way, it will provide relief from pain to the user.
How To Place The TENS Machine On The Neck?
The main job is to place the pads correctly on the neck. If you are provided with two small and big pads, always use the smaller pads on the neck as they will work effectively there. Try to start working from the lower part of the neck rather than from the top.
Keep the pads on either side of the pain area. If you have two channels, use different channels on either side of the discomfort area to have a good effect. If your device has four pads, use them all but prefer to use only two once a time.
You may also like Must Haves After Neck Surgery
What Should We Remember When We Keep The Pads Of The TENS Machine Near The Neck?
Never put the TENS machine pads close to the head and throat. Always remember to keep the pads away from the sides and front of the neck. Place the pads on the muscle or fleshy areas rather than bones because bones might have movement, which can disturb the machine’s functionality.
Always keep the pads at least one inch apart to have good functionality. If you have a default timer, then it is ok to sleep wearing the pads, but it is better to avoid it during sleep.
To be drug-free and address your neck pain, get one today and start using it. This will make your life easier. To help you choose the best one, we are coming out with selection criteria that will guide you better.
Selection Criteria To Buy A Suitable TENS Machine For Neck Pain
Neck pain is prominently seen in many these days, affecting their life to a great extent. This cannot be neglected and has to be addressed at the earliest. We have to keep in mind that the primary criteria for buying a TENS machine for the neck are the pads; buy one made of good quality, as this is close to the spinal cord.
Next, we need to purchase one with a long-lasting battery to use multiple times. The quality of pads and various channels and modes plays a significant role. The machine needs to have a long shelf life, and modes and channels will help address different ailments.
Lastly, as this is about the TENS machine for the neck, close to the spine, choose one with a timer option. Taking note of all these, we give you some options, so go through them and pick your choice.
You may also like Which TENS Machine Is The Best – Top 10 Compared
Frequently Asked Questions
Is neck pain that serious? If so, how will it impact one’s life?
The regeneration from stress and restoration of calmness after a hectic day for all is a good night’s sleep. When someone suffers from neck pain, they will even suffer or can’t get a good sleep because of discomfort.
Lack of sleep will increase stress levels and impact emotional and mental health, disturbing professional and personal life. So it is always better to treat the pain to lead a pain-free life.
Neck pain can also be a symptom of a change in the gaps between the bones of the cervical spine. This can lead to spinal stenosis. Similarly, it could be a symptom of bulging disks. Both of these can be dangerous conditions and should be treated with utmost care.
Is the TENS machine effective when used for neck pain?
The TENS machines’ effectiveness cannot be estimated and established because it varies from person to person and depends on the intensity of pain. But research done so far gave positive results. Though wearing it for some time won’t show any effect, it has to be worn for a minimum of thirty minutes to experience its impact.
When should we not use the TENS machine on the neck?
TENS should not be used if you have a pacemaker or when you are pregnant and have metal inside your body. Then talk to your doctor before you use the TENS machine on your neck. Also, don’t use TENS if you have wounds or develop rashes when you start using them. Consult a doctor immediately to address the rashes. Avoid putting on a TENS machine while sleeping, driving, or bathing.
How to maintain the pads of the TENS machine to increase their longevity?
Always clean the part where you are going to place the pads of the TENS machine. Once you finish using the pads, clean them using a moist cloth to remove any residue on the pads.
When the pad’s stickiness comes down, use an electrode gel or spray to make it work for a more extended period. Some devices suggest adding drops of water to increase the longevity of the pads.
You may also like Can a TENS Machine Be Used For Sciatica
Best TENS Machine For Neck Pain
#1 AUVON TENS Machine
- Modes: This machine comes with twenty-four different modes, including pain relief and muscle conditioning to address other pains. Option to set intensity levels is also given to address acute and chronic pains.
- Channels: It comes with four channels and can be used on different body parts, and other modes can be accessed on them.
- Pads: The pads used in this machine are of high quality and can be used for nearly forty-five uses. They can also be cleaned easily after use.
#2 TENS 7000 TENS machine
- Modes: The machine comes with multiple modes, including burst, modulation, burst, and more. They also give a chance to change the intensity levels based on the requirement.
- Channels: It has two channels, and the pads can be placed in these and used to address pain.
- Size: The machine’s size is very small, and it is portable and can be carried with us everywhere.
- Pads: It has four TENS pads which are of good quality. The pack also comes with a small case to keep the device inside.
You may also like Is A TENS Machine Useful For Labor
#3 NueMedics TENS machine
- Modes: The machine has twenty-four modes that help address the pains of the neck, shoulder, elbow, back, and more. It provides options like knead, acupuncture, and more.
- Battery: Once you charge the device, it works for twenty long hours. This will help us to use the device multiple times.
- Size: It comes in pocket size and looks very small. It can be carried along when we go out.
- Timer: It comes with a unique feature where you can set the timer to work on the body and gradually turn it off. The timer will serve as a reminder for the one who uses it.
#4 KEDSUM Rechargeable TENS Machine
- Modes: This device has sixteen different modes like cupping, tapping, and more. These modes can be selected and used based on the level of discomfort. It also has an option to choose between twenty intensity levels so we can adjust them.
- Battery: When you charge the battery once, it will last for ten long hours. So we can use it multiple times a day.
- Pads: The pads used in this machine are designed in a way that they can be used for at least thirty uses. They stick to the body part very quickly. Add a few drops of water to the pads to increase their longevity.
You may also like TENS Machine Pad Placement For Knee Pain
#5 TechCare Pro TENS machine
- Modes: Provides twenty-four massage modes to choose from. We have an option to select the level of intensity between one and twenty. Bases on the discomfort level, mode, and intensity can be set up.
- Battery: If you have charged the battery once, it will work for twenty hours. This machine also provides an option that indicates a low battery when the charge is down. The indicator serves as a reminder to us.
- Timer: you have an option to choose the time for the treatment or mode to run on the body. This will work as a reminder when you want the machine to run for a specified interval.
#6 NURSAL EMS TENS machine
- Modes: Sixteen modes which include six therapy modes, help to address any type of pain. The machine also can either increase or decrease the intensity levels based on the level of discomfort.
- Pads: The machine comes with sixteen TENS pads which can be used for multiple purposes. These pads are of good quality and stick to the body easily.
- Battery: Twenty long hours of battery life will help us address any chronic pain as we can use it multiple times. The battery can be charged easily by connecting to the USB port or any power bank. The display screen also shows us the battery level.
- Timer: You have an option to set the timer upto sixty minutes. The timer will help us to work on a particular part for the required time.
- Size: the device comes in small size and is portable. We are provided with a storage bag that can store the device and carry it with us anywhere.
You may also like Is A TENS Machine Helpful For Migraine
Neck pain can be a serious problem if you leave it unattended. It can hamper your everyday activity and leave you vulnerable. If you are suffering from it, get a TENS machine for neck pain before it is too late.
This article has selected the best TENS machine for neck pain based on the pad’s quality, long-lasting battery, and timer option.
In our opinion, the AUVON 4 Outputs TENS Unit EMS Muscle Stimulator Machine for Pain Relief Therapy with 24 Modes Electric Pulse Massager, 2" and 2"x4" Electrodes Pads (Black) is the best choice for neck pain. This is because the pads used in this machine are of high quality and can be used for nearly forty-five uses. They can also be cleaned easily after use.
The TENS 7000 Digital TENS Unit with Accessories - TENS Unit Muscle Stimulator for Back Pain Relief, General Pain Relief, Neck Pain, Sciatica Pain Relief, Nerve Pain Relief is another great choice because the machine comes with multiple modes, including burst, modulation, burst, and more. They also give a chance to change the intensity levels based on the requirement.
Suppose you are looking for a value for money option. In that case, you can also consider the NURSAL EMS TENS Unit Muscle Stimulator, 24 Modes Rechargeable Electric Pulse Muscle Massager for Pain Relief, which offers great value and features at a very reasonable price point.
While we make every effort to provide updated and correct information, the advice given in this article and website should not be construed as “medical advice.” Please consult with your physician or medical practitioner before using any TENS machine. Each individual may have unique issues, and your medical practitioner is the best person to decide the best TENS machine for your case.