In this article, we have reviewed the best tall toilets for elderly. If you are in a hurry, the table below gives a quick snapshot of the top 6.
Hip and knee joint pain is a common ailment among the elderly. Sitting can be painful when your hip and knee joints are suffering.
While you can always buy taller chairs in the market, one area that remains a bit neglected is the toilet. The height of a standard toilet in America is 14.5″ inches, which is ok for most people.
However, seniors often find it difficult to sit on and get up from them because of muscle and joint-related problems
While there are artificial toilet risers available, it is better to have a taller toilet itself. You would prefer not to risk having a loose fixture or a poorly fitted toilet riser when you are sitting down to do your business.
We have shortlisted below the best tall toilets for the elderly, which you can use for your loved ones. To compile this list, we interviewed seniors who use tall toilets as to what is it that they want to see in such products.
We also scoured four Facebook groups and combed through a little over three thousand Amazon reviews to compile our list of the best tall toilets for the elderly.
So without further ado, let us get you started with the toilet that we thought best for the elderly.
Our Top Choice – Convenient High Toilet For Elderly
The 20 inch Extra Tall Toilet. Convenient Height bowl taller than ADA Comfort Height. Dual flush, Metal handle, Slow-close seat is our top choice for Best Tall Toilets For Elderly.
This is perhaps the tallest toilet available out there. With a height of 20 inches, it certainly adds a good 6 inch to the regular toilet bowl that you and I are familiar with.
The height is extremely useful in preventing bathroom falls and helps elders to conveniently do their ablutions without having to suffer through pain and anguish every time. More importantly, it makes them independent.
Reviews of the Best Tall Toilets For Elderly
#1 Convenient High Toilet For Elderly
The Convenient high toilet is a very safe and ideal toilet for senior citizens and tall people. The seat of the toilet is taller by at least 5″ inches than a standard toilet. The added height helps the elderly as they find squatting up and down on short toilets very difficult and painful as their muscles grow weak.
The toilet is a floor-mounted design and must only be installed by professionals as people cannot install the toilet independently. The product’s dimensions are length 27 inches X width 15 inches X height 36 inches of the toilet.
The video below shows how to install a Convenient Height tall toilet.
- The toilet has a powerful dual flushing mechanism.
- The taller toilet for the elderly has a height of 21″ inches where the standard height for toilets is 15″ inches.
- It also has a slow closing lightweight and durable seat.
- The water consumption of the toilet is 1.28 gallons of water per flush.
- The toilet design is oblong with high elevation, which results in powerful and fast flushing.
- It uses the additional height for creating a higher gravitational pull which helps dispose of the waste with more force
- It looks stunning from all angles because of a sleek and modern design
- The seat and flush are aligned so that the flush knob is accessible even when the toilet seat is up
- The weight of the product is high, and the elderly cannot lift it themselves as its weight is 120 pounds.
- The user should not try to install the toilet independently as it can lead to a safer hazard.
#2 Kohler K-3817-0 Tall Toilet For Seniors
The Kohler High Toilet for the elderly is a very ergonomic yet classy looking toilet. The oblong and elongated design of the toilet makes it look stylish as well as effective. It is a two-piece where the two pieces are the elongated bowl and the tank.
Its design makes the toilet very comfortable and easy to use; the elderly can use the toilet without any external assistance giving them a feeling of self-dependence. The lever’s placement on the tank is on the left side, which makes it favorable for the right-handed people.
- Low Water consumption of 1.28 gallons of water per flush, which is environment friendly and conserves water.
- The seat’s height from the ground is 16.5″ inches, which makes the toilet ideal for elderly people.
- Good flushing power, which keeps the pipes free from clogging and cleans the toilet effectively.
- The toilet has a floor-mounted design that keeps the toilet stable and fixed to the floor, preventing any accident.
- The tall toilet also has an aqua piston.
- The package does not have a seat; it is sold separately.
- The product does not include the supply line.
You might be interested in reading: 10 Best Toilet Seat Riser [with and without armrests]
#3 Kohler K-3999-0 High Toilet For Seniors
The Kohler tall toilet is a very high and comfortable toilet made out of premium quality materials. Its seat height is comparable to the height of a chair. This makes using the toilet simple and easy for people of all ages and sizes.
The toilet design is very stylish yet very ergonomic, which makes it appealing to the users. The floor to seat height of the toilet is 17″ inches, which greater than the traditional toilets. A high toilet seat can also help the intestines as they are not pressurized in an uncomfortable position.
- The toilet has a high flushing power, which keeps the toilet nice and clean.
- Its dimensions are 29.5 inches length,18- inches width, and 31.25 inches high.
- The water consumption per flushing is also very less equal to 1.28 gallons of water per flush. This helps the users to save water for the betterment of the world.
- The shape of the toilet is oblong, and it has a floor mounting design.
- The powerful flushing system prevents toilet pipes from clogging up.
- The package does not include the seat.
#4 WinZo Taller Toilets for the Elderly
The WinZo toilets are top-notch quality toilets that cater to older adults and tall people with special high seat toilets. The toilet design is sleek and elegant, making it suitable for installation in places with limited space.
The seat’s height from the ground is at 17″ inches height, making the toilet more accessible to people of all ages. The toilet’s height is so that the user can easily rest both their feet on the ground.
- The high toilet for seniors has a concealed trap way for easy cleaning and maintenance of hygiene.
- The toilet seat is soft closing and durable, which is not easy to break off.
- The shape of the toilet is elongated made out of fine quality vitreous china.
- The dimensions of the toilet are 28.25″ inches long, 16.5″ inches wide, and 26 inches high.
- The toilet has a single flush power design, with the water consumption equal to 1.28 gallons of water per flush.
- This high toilet for the elderly is a wall-mounted toilet.
- The toilet is easy to install but should be done with the help of professionals.
- Heavyweight can also be a problem with the elderly as its weight is 105 pounds.
You might be interested in reading: Best Wheelchair Accessible Bathroom Sink
#5 American Standard Taller Toilets For Elderly
The American Standard toilet has a very functional design, which includes both the tank and the bowl. It has an elongated siphon action bowl, which makes the removal of waste faster and efficient. It also has a floor-mounted design.
The toilet’s surface is very easy to clean, which prevents germs and bacteria’s growth and allows the users to maintain hygiene levels. The toilet also has pretty low water consumption per flush, equal to 1.28 gallons of water per flush. This has a lot of environmental benefits.
- The flush has a dual power flushing system.
- High seat bowl to ground height of 16.5″ inches assists people to good bowel.
- The overall dimensions of the toilet are 30.19″ inches long, 17.88″ inches wide, and 34.25″ inches high.
- The high toilet for seniors also has a clean curve rim as most of the dust and germs hide underneath the rim.
- The package includes the EZ tools for the installation of the toilet.
- The seat is sold separately and is not included in the package.
- The weight of the toilet is 95.6 pounds.
#6 American Standard High Toilets For Seniors
The American Standard toilet is a type of floor mounted toilet with a high seat specially designed for older people, tall people, and plus-sized people. The toilet seat’s height from the floor is 16.5″ inches high, which is about 2-3″ inches taller than a standard toilet.
The toilet has a compact elongated design that can easily fit tight spaces. It is highly efficient in discarding the waste from the flush. The toilet has ultra-low consumption of water, which is 1.28 gallons of water per flush.
- The toilet seat has a slow close toilet seat with an ever clean surface.
- Ever clean surface prevents the growth and spreading of germs and bacteria. This is helpful as older adults generally have a weak immune system.
- It has a cadet three flushing system, which makes the flushing fast and powerful.
- A wide seat with a width of 15.5″ inches is suitable for people of all sizes.
- The overall dimensions of the toilet are 30 inches in length, 30 inches wide, and 46 inches high.
- Poor installation can cause the toilet to leak.
- The size of the toilet can be too large for some washrooms.
You might be interested in reading: How High Should Grab Bars Be Installed?
#7 Signature Hardware 413995 Two-Piece Elongated Toilet
The Signature Hardware 413995 Two-Piece Elongated Toilet is an ADA compliant product, which is safe for use by everyone. With a bowl height of 18.25 inches, this is one of the tallest toilets out there.
The toilet is made from durable and eco-friendly porcelain. It is a toilet in the classic style, it is designed for an elegant look to the bathroom and is white-colored for the perfect contrast with any color of tiles.
The seat which is included with this toilet is elongated for additional comfort, extending out 1.5 inches above the usual round seat, giving you more space to sit comfortably.
The toilet comes in a two-piece configuration, making it easier to reach behind the main toilet seat as and when needed
- Elongated toilet seat with 1.5-inch extra space as compared to a circular one
- Bowl height of 18.25 inches, one of the tallest toilets on our list
- Made from durable porcelain, with a classic and elegant look in white color
- Two-piece configuration for better access behind the toilet frame
- The overall dimensions of the toilet are 28.5 inches in width, 17.5 inches depth, and 33.25 inches overall height.
- Due to the high-efficiency flush, sometimes solids disposal becomes a problem
- The tank lid does not fit properly
Buyers Guide: Best Tall Toilets for Elderly
High Seat To Floor Height
The floor to seat height should be high to be more comfortable. People who have mobility issues and cannot squat up or down on low height toilets should use high seat toilets.
Elders also find it difficult to use these toilets as their muscles grow weak as they grow old. They also face problems maintaining their balance and stability during the transition from sitting to standing and vice versa.
Powerful Flushing System
A good toilet must have a powerful flushing system that removes the pipes’ waste faster and efficiently.
A less powerful system can cause the drainage pipes to clog up, creating a hassle. Most of the toilets available today in the market have dual flushing power or even triple flushing power.
Easy To Clean
Proper toilet hygiene is a very important factor in the life of a person. A person can catch many diseases and problems due to a lack of hygiene in the washroom.
It is really difficult for the older adults to regularly deep clean the washroom s the toilet should be easy to clean and maintain.
Low Water Consumption
The water consumption of a toilet should be less as well. It should efficiently clean the toilet or remove the waste with a minimal quantity of water required.
The government limits the quantity of water used per flush, which should not be exceeded to get certified. The limit is 1.6 gallons of water per flush, so any flush with lower water consumption than the limit is a good toilet for purchasing.
You might be interested in reading: Do I Need a Raised Toilet Seat After Hip Replacement Surgery?
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is a comfort height toilet?
A comfort height toilet Sits at chair height–approximately two to three inches higher than the normal toilets height. It makes both sitting and standing convenient for people with knee pain and back issues. When installed per applicable guidelines they are ADA-compliant toilet.
Q: What is the appropriate height of a toilet for the elderly?
The ADA suggests that the toilet seat’s ideal height from the ground is between 17-19″ inches which are w-3″ inches more than a standard toilet. This height is also suitable for tall or suffering people suffering from some disabilities or mobility difficulties.
Q: Are comfortable height toilets bad for you?
No comfortable height toilets are not bad, but they can be really good for the knees and the elderly’s back. These types of toilets are also more comfortable for tall people.
This type of toilet exerts less pressure on the user’s intestine and can also promote good bowel health. But these types of toilets are not good for normal people.
Q: Are round or elongated toilets better?
Most people find elongated toilets more comfortable and easy to use, but at places where space is less and tight, round toilets are better as they require less space. There are also different types of mounting on the toilets like floor mounting and wall mounting. These aspects also affect the amount of space a toilet takes up.
You might be interested in reading: Does Medicare Cover Toilet Seat Risers
A tall toilet can be a big relief for our elders if they face difficulty in sitting or standing. It possesses great features and comes in various designs.
In this article, we have selected the best tall toilets for elderly based on the features mentioned in our buyer’s guide and the ratings and comments mentioned by actual users on Amazon.
In our opinion, the 20 inch Extra Tall Toilet. Convenient Height bowl taller than ADA Comfort Height. Dual flush, Metal handle, Slow-close seat is the best choice among the various options that we have considered because it is high and rich in features.
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the American Standard 238AA104.020 VorMax High Efficiency Right Height Elongated Toilet with Left Hand Trip Lever, White, which offers great value and features at a very reasonable price point.
If you are worried about toilet safety for your aging in place loved ones, you have come to the right place! Do read:
- Best Padded Toilet Seats for the Elderly
- Best heavy duty toilet safety frame or safety rails
- Best Bidet Toilet Seats for the Disabled
- 9 Best Bedside Commodes with Large Opening
- Best Floor To Ceiling Grab Bar Poles
- Adaptive Bathroom Equipment