We have reviewed the best bariatric shower chairs. If you are in a hurry, the table below gives a quick snapshot of the top 7.
In a study done in 2017-18, almost 42.4 % of the American population was suffering from obesity, and the prevalence of severe obesity has increased from 4.7% to 9.2% since the year 2000.
People suffering from obesity face problems in doing simple everyday chores such as walking, dressing, or even showering. They need assistance or special devices to get the job done.
A bariatric shower chair is one such device. It is a medical aid product that helps obese people to take a bath while seated.
Our Top Choice- Drive Medical Bariatric Shower Chair
The Drive Medical 12021KD-1 Bariatric Heavy Duty Bathroom Bench with Back, Gray is our top choice for the best bariatric shower chair. It is made from aluminum that makes it lightweight, but the unique design of the chair makes it one of the strongest chairs in the market.
The cross-section frames give more stability to the chair, and the Euro-style clip allows leg height adjustment. The bench is made of sturdy plastic with drainage holes that prevent slipping. Below we mention some more important features:
- Its design has solid reinforcing, which makes the chair heavy-duty and strong.
- There are cross braces for both height and depth that add a lot of stability to the chair.
- These cross-braces are attached to the chair with aircraft-style rivets which make them very solid and durable indeed.
- It has a 500-pound weight capacity, one of the highest in its class. It is strong enough to support most bariatric patients and then some.
- The chair is extra-large, with ample space for you to sit comfortably and do your ablutions. It has a width of 20 inches, and a depth of 12 inches.
- The chair’s seat has special drainage holes to drain the water out while taking a shower; while also preventing you from slipping and thus ensuring your safety while bathing.
- There is blow molding on the back and the seat which is contoured to give you extra comfort while sitting for your bath.
- The chair is height adjustable, with a euro-style clip that adjusts the height in increments of 1 inch each. The height may be adjusted between 14 inches to 19 inches.
- The aluminum frame is lightweight, durable, and corrosion-proof. It weighs only 7.5 pounds, making it very easy to use and move about.
Best Bariatric Shower Chairs
#1 Drive Medical Bariatric Shower Chair
The Drive Medical Bariatric chair is an ideal solution to bariatric patients’ bathing problems as it is difficult for them to take a shower while standing. A bariatric shower chair solves this issue very effectively. The chair is a heavy-duty chair that has a high load capacity of 500 pounds.
The chair has special drainage holes to drain out the water on the seat while taking a shower. This makes the seat surface less slippery and reduces the chances of any mishap. The chair’s frame has cross bracing to enhance the durability and the load capacity of the chair.
Its dimensions are 20 inches length, 17.5 inches width, and 30 inches height.
- Available in two styles with and without the back support.
- It has aircraft style rivets, which makes the chair sturdy and firm. It gives a sense of security to the user while taking a bath.
- It has a solid aluminum frame, which is rust and corrosion-proof, as well as lightweight.
- The cross braces in the frame make this chair really strong.
- The adjustable leg height ensures a proper fit. It can be increased from 14 to 19 inches in 1-inch increments.
- It has an overall weight capacity of 500 pounds, which is enough for most plus-sized people.
- The chair does not have armrests.
- The instructions manual is a bit sketchy and does not provide proper guidance on setting it up.
#2 Medline Bariatric Aluminum Shower Chair
The Medline shower chair has a very tough and sturdy aluminum frame. The chair has a very wide seat that makes it suitable for plus size citizens. Usually, bariatric patients face difficulty finding a chair that fits their needs, but this chair fulfills that need. It has a blow molding seat with integrating handles for additional support and stability.
The bariatric shower chair has a wobble-free design, which makes it extremely safe. Its frame has a dual cross-brace design to strengthen the chair with aircraft rivets. Aircraft rivets are very tough and strong, and they keep the frame of the chair in place.
- The maximum load capacity of 550 pounds, hence making it suitable for bariatric patients.
- The bariatric bath bench has a dual cross brace for extra stability.
- The blow-molded seat with integrated handles provides additional support.
- Height adjustable legs ensure proper fit.
- The chair’s legs have special non-slip rubber feet, which prevent it from slipping on any wet surface. Suction-cup feet secure bench in bathtub.
- The chair also comes with back support to keep the spine straight as bariatric patients are prone to spinal problems.
- Sitting for long durations on the chair can be a bit uncomfortable,
- There is no extra padding on the seat and the backrest.
You may also like Best Bariatric Briefs
#3 Eaglehealth Bariatric Shower Chair
The Eaglehealth shower chair has a very modular and stylish design. The chair is height adjustable and allows the users to adjust the height to their bathtub clearance. Another major concern is that bathroom accidents among the obese and the elderly are on the rise, so to prevent these, the chair has a non-slip design and rubber feet.
It also has drainage holes on the seat to prevent any water accumulation on the seat and make it slippery. It has a very aesthetically appealing design that goes on with most modern bathrooms. The chair’s seat is extra wide and spacious, which allows the users to be more comfortable.
- It has a heavy-duty load capacity of 500 pounds with a solid aluminum frame.
- It is a very good hygiene product that is easy to clean and disinfect.
- The chair’s frame is corrosion safe and rustproof, which increases the longevity of the product.
- It has an adjustable safety belt to provide additional safety and give its users a sense of security.
- The chair can be too big for some small bathtubs and bathrooms.
- Its weight is 14.82 pounds, which can be a bit heavy for some elderly or obese people.
#4 Duro-Med Bariatric Shower Chair
The Duro-Med shower chair is a lightweight and heavy-duty shower chair, especially for bariatric patients and older adults. This chair is also very stylish and will complement the overall look or the décor of the bathroom. It has adjustable leg heights, which gives the users a proper fit. The height-adjustable range is from 27 inches to 31 inches.
The chair’s dimensions are 18″ length, 19″ width, and 31″ height at maximum height.
It is the ideal showering chair for anyone who has difficulty standing and taking a shower, such as obese people, older adults recovering from surgeries or injuries, etc.
- The chair’s weight is just 7 pounds, which is ideal for people to carry from one place to another.
- Adjustable height makes the chair customizable.
- Anti-slip rubber prevents the chair from slipping that makes bathing safe and secure.
- Durable, rustproof anodized aluminum frame.
- It has a decent load capacity of 250 pounds, which is a bit less than the traditional models.
- It does not have a removable backrest.
You may also like the Best Bariatric Knee Brace
#5 Binrrio Bariatric Shower Chair
The Binrrio shower chair is a medical aid device for people who can’t stand and take a shower, such as pregnant women, elderly, bariatric patients, injured, and so on. It has a very functional design that allows the user to shower comfortably sitting on the chair properly. The chair’s load-bearing capacity is 450 pounds due to the solid and sturdy frame of the chair.
The chair seat is of the premium quality PE plastic, which is eco-friendly and corrosion-free. It’s seat also has six height-adjustable settings depending on the preference of the user. The chair’s legs have superior suction cups to provide top-notch stability and prevent wobbling of the chair.
- It is easy to assemble and does not require any external tools and help.
- Premium bath seat is a contoured seat and backrest for superior comfort.
- Made of high-quality aluminum alloy material, PE seat, waterproof, and anti-corrosion.
- The chair has a special anti slid texture which increases the friction between the user and the chair and severely reduces the chances of slipping.
- The seat surface has drainage outlets to discard the unnecessary water on the surface of the seat.
- The seat also works as a reversible bench.
- Does not include an instruction manual.
- May take some extra space in a small bathroom.
#6 Nova Bariatric Shower Chair
The Nova Bariatric shower chair is a boon for the bariatric patients. It has a strong plastic molding seat, whereas the frame is of industrial grade aluminum. The chair is a heavy-duty product with a load-bearing capacity of 500 pounds.
Although the chair is a heavy-duty product, it is a very lightweight chair with its weight just 5.4 pounds. Its legs have a height adjustment system with just one push of a button, but all four legs must have the same height to ensure the user’s safety. The design and coloring of the chair are also very stylish and aesthetically pleasing.
- Anti-skid leg tips for utmost safety and precaution.
- It is made of strong molded plastic and rustproof aluminum that can bear weight up to 500lbs.
- Drainage holes on the surface of the seat prevent water accumulation and any mishap.
- It is also highly portable because of its weight and compact design.
- Tool-free assembly in just a matter of a few minutes.
- The back support aluminum tube may bend if too much pressure is put on it
- The chair will not be sturdy, and if all the leg lengths are not equal, it may cause the chair to slip.
#7 Oasisspace Heavy Duty Shower Chair
The Oasisspace shower chair has a very ergonomic and stylish design, with safety as the top priority. This chair is suitable for people who also have balancing issues and can’t stand for long periods. It has an extra-wide seat with padding on handles and the backrest to make the whole showering experience comfortable and peaceful.
The handles make the sitting and standing on wet and slippery surfaces very convenient due to this. It is suitable for elderly citizens as well. Its seat has a special cut out design, which gives the user full unobstructed access to the perianal area for effective washing and cleaning. The shower chair is durable and reliable, along with a decent maximum load capacity of 300 pounds.
- The aluminum frame makes the chair sturdy.
- Detachable armrest and backrest make the chair compact.
- The legs are capped with anti-skid, non-slip rubber tips.
- Cut-out seat with drainage holes plus 2 wide handles is ideal for easy gripping, lifting, and extra safety.
- Height adjustable legs can stretch from 16″ to 21 “in length.
- The users also get a 12″ medical-grade shower handle bar alongside the shower chair free.
- The suction grab bar may lose its suction abilities if not used properly.
- May tend to be wobbly and not sturdy in tight spaces and small showers.
The video below shows how to use a shower chair in the best way.
What should you look for before buying a shower chair?
An ideal bariatric shower chair is especially for overweight and obese people, so it should be wide enough to accommodate them comfortably. It should not affect the movement of the user while bathing.
A special chair for plus-size people generally has a high load capacity, but it should have a steady frame with a reinforced mesh design to ensure the user’s proper safety. This design equally distributes the user’s weight on all four chair legs rather than on one or two of them.
It is difficult for plus-size people to maintain their balance while sitting or standing up, so the chair must have a solid armrest, which helps them maintain their balance. The armrests should also be strong enough to sustain the pressure and weight.
The shower chair must have proper drainage holes to drain out the excess water on the seat surface. The placement of these holes should be so that they do not compromise the user’s comfort and perfectly perform their function. The presence of these holes also reduces the possibility of any slippage while taking a shower.
Anti Slip Rubber Feet
Anti-slip feet are also an essential feature of a bariatric shower chair as there is a very high possibility of an accident in the shower. The rubber feet have a special suction design, which increases the friction between the chair and the floor and reduces the chances of falling or slipping.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is a bariatric shower chair?
A bariatric shower chair is a special type of chair, especially for bariatric patients. Generally, they cannot stand and take a shower, so this chair allows them to sit comfortably in their shower stall or in a bathtub and then take a shower.
Q: How much weight can a bariatric shower chair hold?
It depends on the chair’s different models, but the general range of the chair’s load capacity lies between 300 pounds to 500 pounds. A solid aluminum frame is a reason due to which these chairs can lift such a weight.
Q. What is a shower chair used for?
A shower chair is used by people who have limited mobility to comfortably sit and take a shower. Standing up or sitting down in the tub can be both difficult and dangerous (due to the risk of slipping) for such people.
Bariatric patients often have limited mobility due to their larger size. A good heavy duty shower chair can help them in their daily bath without having to depend on another person for this activity.
A bariatric shower chair is a simple solution for plus-sized people who cannot stand for a long duration to take a bath. It is designed to offer maximum comfort and safety while bathing.
In this article, we have selected the best bariatric shower chair based on the features mentioned in our buyer’s guide and the ratings and comments mentioned by actual users on Amazon.
In our opinion, the Drive Medical 12021KD-1 Bariatric Heavy Duty Bathroom Bench with Back, Gray is the best choice among the various options that we have considered because it is rich in features and serves the purpose.
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the EagleHealth Bariatric Shower Chair 72621, which offers great value and features at a very reasonable price point.
If you are looking for other bariatric adaptability products, you might like to read Best Bariatric Rollator Walkers and Best Bariatric Wheelchairs.
Plus-sized people need plus-sized beds. Do read about the Heavy Duty Disposable and Washable Bed Pads