We have reviewed the best bariatric knee brace. If you are in a hurry, the table below gives a quick snapshot of the top 6.
In a study done in 2016, people with higher than average BMI (between 18.5 and 25) were found to have only 3.7 percent cases of Osteoarthritis, whereas those with a BMI between 35-39.9 had a nearly 19.5 incidence of OA!
Knee pain is the hallmark of OA. If you are suffering from knee pain due to obesity, then you should consider buying a bariatric knee brace.
On the other hand, if you are overweight, but are working towards an active lifestyle (involving jogging, running, hiking, cycling, or any other cardio exercises), then consider this: your knee bears two to five times the body weight when doing these activities!
In either case, you need to protect your knees. A knee brace is a simple but effective way to do this. Today, let us help you find the best bariatric knee brace to support your knee.
Our Top Choice- BraceAbility Obesity Knee Braces
The BraceAbility XXXXXL Plus Size Knee Brace - Bariatric Hinged Wraparound Support for Large Legs and Big Thighs, Meniscus Tears, Arthritis Joint Pain, Tendonitis, Ligament Injuries and Sprains (5XL) is our top choice for the best bariatric knee brace because it has a design which provides maximum support and relief from ligament sprains, meniscus tears, arthritis and all general knee pains. It is available in sizes up to 6XL that makes it suitable for oversized men and women.
Some of the other good features of this product:
- It has dual-axis hinges on either side of the knee, which makes for excellent support of the medial and lateral parts.
- The brace has an open patella design. This gives the knee the right support while also reducing stress on the joint.
- There is a cutout behind the knee joint in this knee brace, which makes it difficult for the brace to bunch up while walking or running.
- The front closure is a 2 part system – a strap on, covered by a velcro strap. Instead of the usual single velcro strap that other knee braces have, this mechanism is a lot more stable and does not slide easily even during vigorous activity.
- The fastener straps have medical grade material, instead of the usual cheap junk that you will find on most knee braces.
- The braces themselves are made of premium grade quarter inch neoprene, which gives you dual benefits of warmth and compression on the sore knee.
- As a plus-sized person, finding products that fit the right size is usually a challenge. This knee brace fits to the perfect size – don’t believe us, read the reviews yourself!
- BraceAbility is a US-based company, well known for its orthopedic products.
Best Bariatric Knee Brace
#1 BraceAbility 5XL Knee Brace
A perfect knee brace that fits plus size men and women comes from BraceAbility. It fits up to 6XL knee size. It is designed for you to give support to your knee and relief from knee pain. It provides enhanced stability to the inner and the outer side of the knee.
It is best for people who suffer from knee pain due to excess weight. The knee bears the body’s extra weight and hence needs protection from external factors. The front closure makes it convenient for you to wrap the strap around the knee.
Medical grade material for the braces makes this product a skin-friendly one and stronger than other braces available in the market. To get your perfect size of braces, measure 6″ above and below your knee and then buy a size that will fit you perfectly.
- Dual axial hinges on either side for better support to the knee
- Medical grade fabric is strong and durable.
- Open Patella design relieves stress on the sore knee joint
- The cutout behind the knee keeps the knee brace straight and does not allow it to bunch up
- Fits up to 6XL knee size.
- The front enclosure makes it convenient to put on the braces.
- The dual lock system does not make the braces slip from the knee while walking or doing household work.
- Perfect for overweight men and women.
- The braces slip for those who sweat a lot.
- If the size of your leg, 6” above the knee and 6” below the knee is not the same then this knee brace will not fit correctly
You may also like Best Bariatric Power Wheelchairs
#2 BraceAbility knee brace for large legs and wide thighs
Open patella design makes the knee cap reduce pressure on the sore tissues. Latex-free Neoprene provides extra support and flexibility.
This material is used to provide maximum softness and comfort to the wearer. The knee braces provide warmth to the knee and help to reduce any swelling and soreness.
The knee cap helps eliminate knee pain, dislocation, instability, arthritis, and patella tracking disorder. Pull-on design with a length of 13.5″ makes the knee cap ideal for people with excess fat near the knee area.
- Open Patella design of the brace makes it comfortable and supportive at the same time.
- A spring-like spiral in the brace keeps it straight, thus making the joint very stable. It also lets the knee be very flexible for movement.
- Lightweight and breathable fabric.
- Maximum comfort with durability.
- The convenient design provides warmth to the sore muscles.
- Snug fit that keeps the knee secure.
- Velcro strap holds well even after months of regular use.
- People with sensitive skin can face blisters on their skin if the braces are tight from above the knee.
- No color option to choose from as only black is available.
You may also like Best Bariatric Bed for Home Use
#3 Brace Ability Obesity Knee Pain Braces
All those oversized men and women who do not find the right size of braces for them need not be disappointed as Brace Ability brings you braces specially designed for oversized people. Obesity leads to knee pain, arthritis, and much more. These hinged knee braces are the best alternative to reduce knee pain.
The back opening avoids sweat build up and does not let the braces bunch up in obese individuals. Further, the open patella design does not put excess pressure but provides support to the knee.
With a length of 13 inches, the knee braces are convenient to apply. Velcro design provides additional adjustment so that the brace does not slip easily. The fabric is almost like Neoprene that is latex-free and anti-allergic too. Hinged braces provide both medical as well as lateral support to stabilize the knee.
- Unisex gear with sizes up to 4XL.
- Moisture wrecking material that adds to the comfort of the wearer.
- Lightweight and breathable fabric.
- Easy to apply the brace with the wrap-around design.
- Double Velcro straps both above and below the knee that do not make the brace slip easily.
- For many overweight people, the braces rub at the back of the leg.
You may also like Bariatric Rollator Walkers
#4 Nvorliy Plus Size Knee Brace
All those individuals who have large legs, these braces by Nvorliy, are specially designed for you. It not only stabilizes the patella but also protects the tendons from further damage. You can wear it while exercising, running, cycling, at the gym, and even day-to-day work. These are professional large size pads have six spring to provide maximum support to the legs.
The straps are adjustable so as not to put pressure on the knee. The material is highly breathable and easy to wear. It prevents Meniscus tears and prevents further injury on the knee.
The knee cap also helps to recover from chronic knee pain and post-surgery recovery. This brace is highly effective to reduce swelling, soreness, and any stiffness near the knee area.
- Professional large-sized knee cap for large legs.
- Six metal springs provide the best support to the knee.
- The material is breathable and easy to hand wash.
- Unisex gear is suitable for both men and women.
- The open patellar design supports the knee and forms compression around the knee.
- Provides medical and lateral stability.
- It is not very budget-friendly.
#5 Nvorliy Plus Size Knee Brace
Nvorliy’s newly designed hinged brace is perfect for large-sized legs. There is a detachable hinge on both the sides of the knee cap that provides extra support to the knee area. The double straps help to support the patella from the upper and the lower side. This knee cap is suitable for weak knees and those suffering from chronic joint pain. Front closure design makes the knee cap convenient to wear.
Moreover, it increases confidence in both men and women. It promotes lateral stability and provides the highest degree of knee protection. The material is soft, comfortable, and very breathable. 4-way compression designs maximize patellar stability.
Straps in both up and down are adjustable and do not slide the knee cap. This knee cap will prevent the knee from knee injury and sprains. This protective gear is perfect for post-surgery recovery, meniscus tears, ACL, MCL, PCL, etc.
- Detachable hinges.
- Effective stability, medial, and lateral support.
- EVA pads make it shock resistant.
- Stronger compression prevents the sliding of the knee pad.
- 6XL sizes are available for extra-large legs.
- Highly effective in reducing swelling, soreness, stiffness, and muscular recovery.
- Highly durable, elastic with long term benefits.
- The smell of the rubber material is strong.
You may also like Best Bariatric Protein Shakes
#6 TIMTAKBO Knee Support
This knee support is perfect for sportspeople, gym-goers and other those participating in exercises where knee protection is required. The knee brace is recommended for those dealing with chronic knee pain, post-injury issues, ligament problems, etc.
Two aluminum removable bilateral hinges provide perfect tightness and support the knee. Front closure helps to provide perfect compression and supports the knee during exercises.
Medical grade fabric makes the brace stronger than other knee caps. It also helps in quick recovery from post-surgery, muscle injury, pain, sprains, and knee fracture.
- Perfect for all kinds of sports that need knee support.
- The medical-grade Velcro strap is strong and comfortable to use.
- The posterior opening allows greater breathability and prevents bunching.
- Latex-free, moisture absorbing material that is durable.
- Lightweight gear that provides flexibility in movement of the knee.
- Approved by the FDA.
- Available at a budget-friendly price.
- Hinges can cause problems while bending the knee.
You may also like Best Bariatric Manual Wheelchairs
What should you look for before buying knee braces?
Choosing the perfect knee brace for your knee can be a daunting task; therefore, we have brought you a buyer’s guide. This will help you choose the best knee brace. Going through customer’s recommendations and reviews, we made this guide.
Flexibility to move around is something that you must look for when buying a knee brace. The brace provides support and protects the knee from further injury; therefore, selecting a good brace is very important. Flexibility and mobility are something you must look for.
Before buying a knee brace consider the protection level it offers. The ranging level of protection is 1 to 3+. If going for level 1 protection, keep in mind that this will offer the least support. It is recommended for those who have just started to experience knee pain due to certain exercises or due to age.
Level 2 is for moderate support for those who have ligament instability or are dealing with tendonitis. Level 3 is for those who knee maximum knee support and minimum movement and are recovering from surgery.
Choose the Type of Brace Basis Your Specific Problem
Different problems need different types of braces. There are many braces available in the market, but choosing the right type of brace that helps you recover soon must be your main outlook. Knee sleeves, wrap-arounds, hinged braces and compression bands are some of the braces available in the market. The doctor is the best person who will help you choose the right brace to support your specific requirement.
Know Your Size
Before buying a knee brace, know your size. Every individual is different, and the problems they face are different too. Therefore, buying flexible knee braces and measuring your knee size 6″ above and below the knee will help you choose the perfect fitted knee braces for yourself.
You may also like Best Bariatric Briefs
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know what is my correct size when buying a knee brace?
Before buying a knee brace, it is better to measure your leg 6″ above and below the knee. This will help you know your perfect size. Accordingly, you can buy your knee size brace that will fit you perfectly.
Can I wear a knee brace all the time?
Not necessarily. Ask your doctor and take his recommendations before wearing the knee braces for a longer period. Knee braces help support the knee and stop any pain, but wearing it 24*7 is not the solution. If you have had a serious injury or if your doctor has recommended longer use, you may do so with caution.
Which knee brace should I go for?
Knee braces are available in various types that solve different problems. They can also be customized by the doctors seeing your medical condition. Therefore, if you have a normal pain, compression sleeves, bands, and wrap-around braces will work best for you. But if you have had surgery or are in a serious medical condition, the doctor can suggest which braces will work best for you.
You may also like Best Bariatric Shower Chair
Persistent knee pain in the obese can be a sign of osteoarthritis. Knee braces are excellent cheap and effective devices to support your knee. Not only do they help to reduce pain, they also provide heat and compression to the injury, which helps reduce the wound.
In this article, we have selected the best bariatric knee braces based on the features mentioned in our buyer’s guide and the ratings and comments mentioned by actual users on Amazon.
In our opinion, the BraceAbility XXXXXL Plus Size Knee Brace - Bariatric Hinged Wraparound Support for Large Legs and Big Thighs, Meniscus Tears, Arthritis Joint Pain, Tendonitis, Ligament Injuries and Sprains (5XL) is the best choice among the various options that we have considered because it is perfect for alleviating knee pain, rich in features and serves the purpose.
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the T TIMTAKBO Plus Size Hinged Knee Brace Support for Bariatric,Obesity Leg Brace,Neoprene Wrap for Knee Stabilizer,Arthritis Pain,Ligament Injuries,Sprains,Patella Surgery-6XL, which offers great value and features at a very reasonable price point.
While we make every effort to provide updated and correct information, the advice given in this article and website should not be construed as “medical advice”. Please consult with your physician or medical practitioner before using any knee brace. Each individual may have his or her unique issues and your medical practitioner is the best person to decide the best knee brace for your case.
If you are interested in bariatric products, you should also read Best Bariatric Bed for Home Use.
If you are suffering from a meniscus tear, you should definitely visit Best Knee Braces for Meniscus Tear