After shoulder surgery, you should ensure that there is no pressure on the shoulder while sleeping. Below are the best wedge pillows for shoulder surgery to help you get through the right post-operative care.
After shoulder surgery, it’s imperative to take complete rest and minimize shoulder movement for a few weeks. Overall recovery might take some time, and meanwhile, your sleep may get affected.
But good sleep is essential for a speedy recovery. Sleeping after shoulder surgery and finding the proper position is probably one of the most challenging tasks you’ll experience during the recovery period.
To improve support on your shoulder, a unique pillow helps you take complete rest and sleep peacefully. This pillow is known as a wedge pillow. A wedge pillow is a triangle-shaped pillow with an incline that raises your upper body while you sleep.
It is built differently to help reduce the pressure on your shoulder and keep you lying on your side inadvertently, which might cause harm to the sutures and affected shoulder. It also helps speed up the recovery process after shoulder surgery.
We have selected the seven best wedge pillows for shoulder surgery after shuffling through 24 products for your convenience.
It took us four days to choose the top seven. But before jumping to the product review, let’s discuss what you should look for before buying a wedge pillow. And answer some questions related to it.
What Should You Look For Before Buying The Best Wedge Pillow For Shoulder Surgery?
The best wedge pillows for shoulder surgery are filled with memory foam or polyfoam. Memory foam is the ideal component for rehabilitation and providing comfort to the users.
The unique point of memory foam is its ability to confirm the user’s shape. The foam in this pillow will support the natural contour of your body.
Outer Cover Material
The outer cover material for a wedge pillow should be easy to clean and remove. Pillow covers that are easy to remove mostly either have a zipper or a slipped design.
You can remove these covers and wash them in a washing machine. Using pillow covers that are machine washable are much easier to clean and maintain rather than the covers that you have to wash with your hands.
You must choose wedge pillows with a soft outer cloth. This outer cloth should be comfortable and sensitive on all skin types.
It is also essential that the wedge pillow that you use is breathable. A breathable wedge pillow will not store your sweat and dust in the pillow. Mesh fabric will be best for this purpose.
The size and inclination of the wedge pillow is an essential thing that you need to consider while selecting a wedge pillow.
The size of your pillow should be ideal so that your body can easily fit on this pillow. If your pillow is too big or too small, then you will have to change the pillow.
The inclination of the wedge also matters a lot. Some people are comfortable with an inclination of 30 degrees, whereas others are not even comfortable at 15 degrees.
Another feature that you can consider while buying a wedge pillow is checking whether your pillow also has another additional wedge pillow in a set. There are sets of wedge pillows, these sets either have two or three pillows. You can simultaneously use these pillows together to work on different parts of your body, such as the legs, neck, and back at the same time.
Frequently Asked Questions Related To Boest Wedge Pillow For Shoulder Surgery
What is a wedge pillow good for?
A wedge pillow is useful for sleeping in an elevated position. You can use this pillow to elevate your upper body as well as your lower body.
Using a wedge pillow for sitting and sleeping will improve the blood circulation in your body. Wedge pillows generally are filled with memory foam so that this foam conforms to your body shape and relieves pressure from the body.
Who should use a wedge pillow?
People that need to use a wedge pillow for sleeping are the people that are suffering from any form of rotator cuff injury. Similarly, people that also have just recently had shoulder surgery.
People that suffer from sleep apnea or have a problem with snoring can also use a wedge pillow to cure their condition. Sleeping on a wedge pillow increases the flow of blood in the body.
Sleeping in an elevated position also reduces the amount of acid in our body, reducing the chances of suffering from acid reflux.
How do you sleep with a wedge pillow?
You can use a wedge pillow to treat many of your problems related to your shoulders, neck, or back. After shoulder surgery, you can use a wedge pillow to quicken the rehabilitation process and please note you should wear comfortable clothes when you recoup after shoulder surgery.
If you want to keep your spine straight while sleeping, you can turn a wedge pillow around so the low end is at the top of your head. If you want to sleep on your back with a wedge pillow, then you can tuck the high end under your neck if you sleep on your back.
Can a baby sleep on a wedge pillow?
No, it is not ideal for babies to sleep on wedge pillows. Using a wedge pillow or a sleep positioner for an infant is dangerous and unnecessary as a baby’s muscles and bones are very fragile initially.
Hence, it is not ideal for putting them under unrequired stress and pressure.
The best way to make an infant sleep is to make them sleep on their backs. This also reduces the risk of SIDS.
Best Wedge Pillow For Shoulder Surgery: Our Top 7
#1 DMI Bed Wedge Pillow For Shoulder Surgery
- Filling material: 9.5/10
- Outer cover material: 9.6/10
- Maintenance: 9.4/10
- Size: 9/10
- Other features: 9.5/10
- Brand: DMI
- Color: White
- Size: 24x24x12 inches (LXWXH)
- Inclination: 30 degrees
- Weight: 2.16 pounds
- Wedge pillow that reduces stress on your shoulders.
- Sleeping on this pillow will improve your body posture.
- Recovering from surgery is easier as sleeping on this pillow improves blood circulation.
- It also has high-density foam that has conforming abilities.
- The pillow comes with a removable zipper and is machine washable.
- Some people might find this pillow to be too hard.
- The outer cover of this pillow will easily get stained.
The wedge on this pillow helps you to reduce acid reflux and any other respiratory problems. Sleeping on this pillow will improve your body posture and add less strain to your shoulders.
- Filling material: This wedge pillow is filled with high-intensity foam. This foam is responsible for conforming to your body and gives you instant relief from pain and stress. Using this foam is ideal after surgery as it will not lose its shape while also improving your blood circulation.
- Outer cover material: The outer cover of this pillow is removable and also has a zipper. You can wash and clean its outer cover whenever you feel it needs to be washed.
- Maintenance: Maintaining this wedge pillow is quite simple and easy as it uses a zipper and a removable pillow cover. This pillow cover is machine washable. Regularly washing the cover will maintain its hygiene.
- Size: The size of this wedge pillow is 24 x 24 x 12 inches with a wedge angle of 30 degrees. You will find this angle to be very ergonomic while sleeping, especially if you are recovering from shoulder surgery, as there will be less pressure on your back and shoulders.
- Other features: There are 30 degrees of inclination on this wedge pillow. This amount of inclination reduces stress from your lower back, neck, and shoulders.
#2 Lisenwood Foam Wedge Pillow Set For Shoulder
- Filling material: 9/10
- Outer cover material: 9.2/10
- Maintenance: 9.3/10
- Size: 9/10
- Other features: 9.1/10
- Brand: Lisenwood
- Color: Gray
- Size: 24.02×22.83×11.81 inches (LXWXH)
- Inclination: 40 degrees
- Weight: 9.18 pounds
- You get two separate wedge pillows in this set for more versatility.
- Ideal for shoulders as sleeping on this pillow will reduce pain as it inclines 40 degrees.
- Breathable interior for less accumulation of swear and dirt
- Durable foam filling is ideal for helping your body relax.
- Extended warranty on this wedge pillow
- The foam in this pillow is not memory foam.
- The pillow will not expand with adding weight to it.
You get two pillows in this set; both these pillows have the same wedge angle serving a different purpose. You can set both these pillows in different arrangements to get a better sleeping posture.
- Filling material: The pillow is filled with firm foam which offers maximum comfort.
- Outer cover material: The outer covers for these wedge pillows are ultra-soft and comfortable cushion covers. These cushion covers are made from a premium and plush fabric. You will also find that these covers are breathable so that the sweat can quickly evaporate instead of accumulating.
- Maintenance: The breathable inner case of this pillow keeps them clean and hygienic. You can remove and wash these covers without any hassle as they also have a concealed zipper on them.
- Size: The dimensions of this wedge pillow are 24.02 x 22.83 x 11.81 inches. These dimensions are large and comfortable enough to help a person with shoulder surgery relax and sleep peacefully.
- Other features: There are two pillows in this set. You can keep the second pillow beneath your legs. Keeping two pillows beneath your body will provide you with symmetry and better posture.
You might like to read: Best Workout Equipment After Shoulder Surgery
#3 Lunix Orthopedic Wedge Pillow Set
- Filling material: 8.8/10
- Outer cover material: 9/10
- Maintenance: 8.5/10
- Size: 8.4/10
- Other features: 8.6/10
- Brand: Lunix
- Color: Navy
- Size: 12 inches (H)
- Inclination: high, medium, low
- Weight: 6.52 pounds
- Memory foam in this pillow will adapt to your body.
- This pillow also ensures proper spine alignment and pain relief.
- Breathable inner on this pillow will maintain freshness.
- It has a versatile design that can be used in the treatment of multiple problems.
- A durable frame built on this pillow will ensure that you have a sound sleep for a long time.
- Some people may not like the velcro style of this pillow.
- You will not get an additional carry bag with this wedge pillow.
This wedge pillow set is easy to iron and maintain as the outer cover on these pillows can be washed directly in a machine, and then you can directly iron over them.
- Filling material: This bed wedge pillow has a filling of the premium 45D memory foam, this type of foam is known for conforming to the user’s body. Foam that conforms to your body reduces stress and pain, especially if you have just had surgery.
- Outer cover material: These pillows have an outer cover made from a soft washable cloth that is highly durable. This cover cloth is also very smooth on your skin, due to which there will be no rashes or marks on your face while sleeping on it.
- Maintenance: You can clean and iron the cover of these wedge pillows directly without any hassle.
- Size: The dimensions of this wedge pillow are 12×3 inches. The 3 inches specially thinned head design of this pillow will make sleeping much easier.
- Other features: There is also an additional velcro strap on this wedge pillow. This velcro strap is responsible for protecting and stopping the pillow from sliding from its place.
#4 Flexicomfort Memory Foam Wedge Pillow
- Filling material: 8.2/10
- Outer cover material: 8.1/10
- Maintenance: 8.3/10
- Size: 8/10
- Other features: 8.3/10
- Brand: Flexicomfort
- Color: White
- Size: 21.5×21.5×11 inches (LXWXH)
- Inclination: Low: 12.5 incline, highest 23.5 incline
- Weight: 8.63 pounds
- Velcro and button system is perfect for adjusting the size of the pillow.
- This pillow has a 7-in-1 folding design for more versatility.
- It contains two wedge pillows, one for your legs and one for your head.
- It also has a washable cover for cleanliness.
- Memory foam filling for body-conforming
- Some people might struggle with the inclination of this pillow.
- It might be a bit too hard for some users.
You should buy these wedge pillows as they are available in a set of two pillows. You can use both these pillows simultaneously to treat different areas of your body.
- Filling material: This wedge pillow is filled with special memory foam filling, as the main objective of the memory foam is to conform according to the shape of the user’s body and then return to its original shape. This feature is helpful for people that are in rehabilitation from any kind of surgery.
- Outer cover material: The outer cover of this wedge pillow is machine washable, due to which you won’t have to scrub off the dirt with your hands from this pillow.
- Maintenance: This wedge pillow has seven different foldable positions. You can use these positions for treating different body parts and efficiently storing this pillow when not in use.
- Size: The dimensions of this pillow are given as 21.5×21.5×11 inches. You will find the area of this pillow to be roomy enough so that you can sleep comfortably.
- Other features: This wedge pillow has an adjustable inclination. You can use the two buttons on the side of this pillow to change the incline. On low settings, the inclination of this pillow is 12.5 degrees, whereas, on high settings, it is 23.5 degrees.
#5 Cushy Form Bed Wedge Pillow For Shoulder
- Filling material: 7.8/10
- Outer cover material: 7.5/10
- Maintenance: 7.6/10
- Size: 7.4/10
- Other features: 7.2/10
- Brand: Cushy Form
- Color: White
- Size: 25 x 24 x 10 inches (LXWXH)
- Inclination: 25 degrees
- Weight: 5.39 Pounds
- You will get firm support with this pillow as it has a memory foam filling.
- 25 degrees of angle support helps in rehabilitation after a surgery
- The multipurpose design of this pillow will allow you to treat multiple areas of your body.
- You can store this pillow conveniently when it is not in use.
- The removal cover on this pillow is also machine washable.
- According to some people, the incline of this pillow is too steep.
- People with sensitive and delicate backs may find this pillow to be hard.
You should buy this wedge pillow as it will give you an elevated sleeping position. An elevated sleeping position helps people by providing blood circulation. If you have shoulder surgery them sleeping on this pillow will also gradually improve your movement.
- Filling material: This wedge pillow has a memory foam filling. This memory foam filling is essential for providing your body with a comfortable platform to rest on.
- Outer cover material: The outer cover of this pillow is suitable for washing and cleaning in a machine. You can open the zipper and remove the cover to keep the pillow fresh.
- Maintenance: Maintaining this wedge pillow is quite simple as it has a compact design and an inclination of 25 degrees, due to which you can store this pillow anywhere you want without creating a mess.
- Size: The dimensions of this wedge pillow are 25x24x10 inches. The 25 degree of inclination also contributes massively to providing your body with a smooth platform to sleep on.
- Other features: There is also an additional layer of foam on this pillow so that you can sleep comfortably.
You might like to read: Best Shirts For Shoulder Surgery
#6 ZOEMO Memory Foam Wedge Pillow
- Filling material: 7/10
- Outer cover material: 7.2/10
- Maintenance: 7.3/10
- Size: 7.1/10
- Other features: 7/10
- Brand: ZOEMO
- Color: Gray
- Size: 22x12x22 inches (LXWXH)
- Inclination: 30° or 60° degree
- Weight: 4.5 pounds
- Adjustable inclination from 30 to 60 degrees
- You will also get 12 different Multipurpose designs with this pillow.
- Foldable design for easy storage
- Memory foam filling for a comfortable sleep
- Removal outer cover for cleaning
- If you don’t follow the instructions properly, then this pillow might not expand.
- If you store this pillow in a wet and moist environment, it does not smell that good.
This wedge pillow has a smooth velvet fabric. This velvet fabric is used by keeping in mind the skin of the user. This fabric will feel soft and delicate on all types of skin.
- Filling material: The filling used inside this bed wedge pillow is high-quality memory foam. This foam is used as it is the best in class for treating people who suffer from any surgery after-effects.
- Outer cover material: The outer cover on this pillow is removable and machine washable. You can easily remove the cover from the pillow as it also has a zipper on its sides.
- Maintenance: This pillow has a pretty compact design with the ability to fold in different ways. You can use this feature to store this pillow properly when it is not in any use.
- Size: The dimensions of this pillow are given as 22x12x22 inches. It also weighs just 4.5 pounds filled with top-class foam for your comfort.
- Other features: You can adjust the inclination angle on this wedge pillow from 30 degrees to 60 degrees, depending on your preferences. Sleeping on an inclined surface helps your shoulders by removing the pressure of your body weight from them.
#7 Avana Kind Orthopedic Support Wedge Pillow
- Filling material: 6.5/10
- Outer cover material: 6.7/10
- Maintenance: 6.9/10
- Size: 6.3/10
- Other features: 6.3/10
- Brand: Avana
- Color: Cloud/Camel
- Size: 32.5 x 11 x 24 inches (LXWXH)
- Inclination: NA
- Weight: 12 pounds
- The design of this pillow improves your posture.
- Made from high-quality 100% polyester
- You also get a pillow for leg support with this wedge pillow.
- This pillow consists of 4 pounds of medium-density foam.
- The polyester cover on the pillow is also machine washable.
- The degree of elevation can be too uncomfortable to sleep for some people.
- The cover on the pillow might get wrinkly if you don’t wash it properly.
The unique design of this pillow supports as well as improves the natural curvature of the spine. Due to this feature sleeping or sitting with this pillow will reduce the stress and pressure exerted on your shoulders, neck, and back.
- Filling material: This pillow is filled with top-quality medium-density foam. This foam has the unique ability to take up the shape of the user’s body and then support it.
- Outer cover material: The outer cover of this pillow is made from 100% polyester, due to which it is durable and tough.
- Maintenance: You can remove this outer cover pretty easily and use it again after washing and cleaning. This will maintain a proper hygiene cycle for your pillow.
- Size: 32.5 x 11 x 24 inches are the dimensions of this wedge pillow. Its unique design will improve the user’s body posture and help them in rehabilitation after surgery.
- Other features: There is also an additional pillow for your legs with this bed wedge pillow. You can use this additional pillow for treating your legs and other parts of the body.
Wrapping Up For The Best Wedge Pillow For Shoulder Surgery
Wedge pillows can help you recover comfortably after shoulder surgery and ensure proper sleep. They help you with surgeries and help reduce acid reflux, snoring, improve blood circulation, and relieve pressure on sensitive areas.
We have mentioned the top seven products above but let me highlight three options as a final summary of my review:
The best option is the DMI Bed Wedge Pillow For Shoulder Surgery. This wedge pillow is filled with high-intensity foam. This foam is responsible for conforming to your body and gives you instant relief from pain and stress.
The Lisenwood Foam Wedge Pillow Set For Shoulder is another great choice. The pillow is filled with firm foam which offers maximum comfort. The outer covers for these wedge pillows are ultra-soft and comfortable cushion covers.
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the Cushy Form Bed Wedge Pillow For Shoulder, which offers memory foam filling, washable cover and some more great features at a very reasonable price point.