Choosing to age in place can be extremely satisfying. Spending your golden years in your own house is the dream of many seniors. But aging in place also means navigating the mobility challenges that your current house throws at you. And one of those mobility challengesis safely navigating a flight of stairs.
As per the US census bureau’s report for the period of 2008 -2012, Nearly a third of those above 65 years had difficulty walking or climbing. Further, nearly 2.7 million people in the US use wheelchairs and are unable to climb stairs.
If your loved ones live in a house with different floor levels and find it difficult to walk up and down stairs regularly, you should consider installing a stair chair lift. It will make their lives easier and reduce the daily risk by climbing stairs despite weakness and pain.
Let’s have a look at the best stair chair lifts for seniors. If you are in a hurry, the table below gives a quick snapshot of the top ones.
Our Top Choice – Universal Stair Chair Lift For Seniors
The Universal Stair Lift - 350lb Capacity - Folds Flat to Wall - Includes Warranty is our top choice for best stair chair lift for seniors.
It has special three-tiered security that keeps your loved ones completely safe. It also has a very sturdy built and a weight capacity of 350 pounds, making it suitable for plus-sized seniors as well. It provides the user with essential mobility and the comfort of moving up and down the stairs without any effort.
Some more features of the chair lift are:
- It is very compact and has a foldable design, which leaves space on the staircase to walk, which is very useful if other people live in the house.
- The chair lift’s track length is 15 feet, where the degree of inclination can vary from 25° to 45°. This is comfortable for most straight stairs of average height.
- It runs on an internal rechargeable battery, which can last up to 20 usage cycles.
- It is also effortless to operate and control as it has two wireless remotes that control its movement at both ends.
Top Rated Stair Chair Lift For Seniors
If you’d like to know more details, we have comprehensive reviews of the stair chair lifts for seniors that we found to be the most versatile and best value for money.
#1 Universal Stair Lift
The Universal stairlift is the best stair chair lift for seniors in our lineup. It ensures the user’s safety with its special three-tiered safety mechanism.
It is a heavy-duty stair chair lift with a maximum load capacity of 350 pounds, making it useful for plus-sized seniors as well.
It has a foldable foot pan that allows you to fold the chair up flat to the wall. This enables the other members of the household to access the stairs easily. Its folding feature is also suitable for homes, offices, etc. It has narrow staircases. This chair lift also has a wireless remote, which makes it easy to operate for the seniors.
- Foldable design – allows other users in the house to access the stairs.
- Three-tiered safety mechanism.
- Plus-sized capacity — can hold up to 350 pounds.
- Does not require any wiring. Power cord plugs directly in the AC outlet.
- It has an internal rechargeable battery, which can run for 20+ times before powering down.
- The stair chair lift’s track length is 15 feet, which is suitable to climb one floor easily.
- The degree of inclination for the track can be between 25° to 45°.
- The chair is made of durable and high-quality materials.
- It can be mounted on either side of the stairs.
- According to some users, the chair needs more swivel movement.
- Some buyers also suggested that the track could do with more bracing.
#2 Harmar Stair Chair Lift For Seniors
The Harmar stair chair lift is durable and customizable. It’s backrest has three different settings, enabling the users to correct their posture while sitting on the chair lift.
It also has adjustable footrests with two different height settings and a foldable design that makes it convenient to use while freeing up the stairs when not in use.
Its seat is extra wide and has thick padding, which is suitable for plus-sized seniors.
It is available in two colors, light almond, and evergreen mocha.
- It has a heavy-duty maximum load capacity of 350 pounds, making it ideal for people of all heights and sizes.
- For floor lengths greater than 15 feet and 4 inches, additional track pieces are available in sizes 3, 5, and 8 feet so that the stair chair lift fits perfectly.
- This chair lift does not have a wall-mounted design; rather, it can be mounted on either side of the stairs.
- The seat and the footrest fold to save space and to make the chair compact.
- It operates on a standard 115 VAC household current.
- This stair chair lift is electric and does not operate on batteries, which means that the elderly cannot use it when there is no power.
- According to some buyers, the installation process of this chair lift can be difficult and time-consuming.
You may also like How Do You Use A Hoyer Lift?
#3 Nautilus Stair Chair Lift For Seniors
The Nautilus stair chair lift has a stair mounting design rather than a wall mounting one. Wall mounting chair lifts are difficult to install. This chair lift is battery operated, and it does not require any grease to work due to its worm drive design.
Its battery can charge either way when the chair is parked at the top and even when it is parked at the bottom. It gets easily plugged into a standard wall AC power plug.
The maximum standard length is 16 ft; however, you can purchase 3,5 and 8 feet extensions.
- This stair chair and its footrest have a foldable design that allows the chair to fold up to 10.5 inches. This feature makes the chair lift compact while freeing up the stairs for other people in the house.
- It has a capacity of 350 pounds.
- The length of the track for the chair lift is 16 feet, and it can be increased up to 70 feet with additional lengths available.
- The degree of inclination can lie between 32° to 52°.
- Seniors find this chair lift easy to use as it is operated through wireless remotes, which are very easy to use.
- Some users mentioned that the support arms of the chair do not move.
- According to some users, the installation process of this chair lift is very time-consuming.
#4 Ameriglide Stair Chair Lift For Seniors
The Ameriglide stair chair lift is a very compact chair lift, perfect for almost any staircase due to its design. Its seat is lever operated, and the footrests are foldable, making it more compact and easy to fit in narrow staircases. This chair lift is even suitable for steep staircases as the limit for the degree of inclination is 55°.
The length of the track, which comes along with the chair lift initially, is 14.75 feet, and in any case, if this length of the track is not sufficient, there are additional track lengths available for purchasing. It is the ideal device for the elderly as it allows them to move up and down the stairs without any hassle.
- The maximum load capacity of the chair lift is 300 pounds.
- The tracks for the chair lift can be custom cut to fit the staircase perfectly.
- It is an electric chair lift which is easily plugged into a standard wall outlet.
- It has two wireless remotes used to call or send the chair lift from one end to another.
- This chair lift does not have a wall mounting device as it has a stair mounting device that can be mounted on either of the sides of a staircase.
- According to some buyers, the lubrication process of the motor and the tracks is difficult.
- Some users mentioned that the installation process of the lift is difficult and requires professional help.
You may also like Best Bath Lift For The Elderly
#5 Harmar Premium Stair Chair Lift For Seniors
This chair lift for seniors is highly recommended as it has a pre-installed carriage on a short section of the tracks for the chair lift. Its tracks are made from very durable aluminum. Aluminum is both wear-resistant and durable. Due to the heavy-duty construction of the chair, it has a load capacity of 350 pounds.
This chair has customizable features such as three different height settings for the backrest and two different height settings for the footrests.
These features make the chair lift very suitable for seniors as they would not have to climb up and down on the stairs on their own, and they can comfortably do it because of the lift.
- One of these chair lift’s major features is that it has lift-up arms, making the seat wider for plus-sized people. This feature also makes the chair more compact and easy to store.
- The length of the tracks for the chair lift is 15 feet and 4 inches.
- It has a stair mounting design that can be mounted on either side of the stair, making it more convenient for users to mount the lift according to their preference.
- This chair lift runs on electricity and can be easily plugged in a 115 VAC household power plug.
- It has two separate remote controls, which can control the chair at the top and the bottom.
- The footrest and the lift’s chair have a foldable design, making it compact so that the chair lift doesn’t entirely cover the stairs.
- It is not battery operated, so it can’t be run if there is no power.
- According to some buyers, installing the lift is very time-consuming.
#6 Medallion Grease Free Stair Lift
Coming up to the last, but certainly not the least. This chair lift is completely grease-free and a dream come true for caregivers. It has a weight capacity of about 300 pounds and is made from safe and heavy-duty material.
The chair is padded with comfortable armrests and a lever for adjustment of seating. It is also completely noise free and smooth with dual remote controls on either side.
- Padded and comfortable seat and armrests.
- Completely noise-free, smooth gliding.
- Can be mounted on either side of the stairs.
- Runs on electricity.
- It has two separate remote controls, which can control the chair at the top and the bottom.
- Completely grease free, so your walls and carpets are safe from the grime.
- It is not battery operated, so it needs power to run.
You may also like 12 Best Patient Lifts For Home Use
What should you look for before buying a stair chair lift for seniors?
High Load Capacity
The best stair chair lifts for seniors must have a heavy-duty load capacity as the chair has to lift the person and transport them from one end of the staircase to another.
Fragile built and less durable materials can cause the lift not to function properly, which can be hazardous. High load capacity chair lifts can easily lift people; moreover, they are also suitable for plus-sized seniors and the people who have minimal mobility.
Ease of Operation
The ideal chair lifts for seniors must be easy to operate as older adults struggle to operate difficult and complex mechanisms. To curb this problem, the best stair chair lifts for seniors generally have multiple wireless remotes to operate the lift. One remote can be used to call the chair down from one end, and the other remote is used to send the chair away from the other end. Simple operation makes the product accessible to more people.
You may also like Best Bariatric Power Wheelchair
A comfortable and soft chair is an essential part of the stair chair lift as the elderly should be able to move up comfortably and down the stairs with this chair lift’s help. Generally, these chairs have thickly padded armrests, seats, and backrests to make the users’ experience more comfortable. The armrests, backrests, and the chair’s footrests have adjustable height features to accommodate people of different heights and sizes.
Works on Both Sides
You should ideally choose a stair chair which can work on either side of the stair. If you move tomorrow, the lift should work in your new home too.
You may also like Best Slip Free Strips and Treads for Indoor Stairs
Frequently Asked Questions
Do stairlifts use up a lot of electricity?
No stairlifts do not use a lot of electricity. Their electricity usage is comparable to normal electrical household appliances. Also, not all stairlifts work on electricity. Some stairlifts have rechargeable batteries. These stairlifts can work perfectly well even in the absence of power, whereas the traditional electric stairlifts cannot work without power.
How much weight can a stair lift hold?
A stair lift can easily hold weights ranging from 250 pounds to 400 pounds depending on the built model. Generally, most of the stairlifts are made up of high-quality materials that are durable and reliable. If they consist of cheap material, they are likely to be hazardous.
How wide should a staircase be to accommodate a stairlift comfortably?
The stairlifts are specially designed to function properly even in narrow staircases, but the staircase’s minimum width to accommodate a stairlift should be 32 inches. Although there are two types of stairlifts, the first is a wall mounting type, and the second one is a stair mounting type chair lift.
You may also like How to Get a Wheelchair Up and Down Stairs
A stair chair lift can be life-changing for seniors. A huge majority of seniors prefer to age in place, and lack of mobility, pain in muscles and joints, and an inability to walk upstairs is something that doesn’t just happen in a day. Instead, it creeps up behind you without you even knowing.
Many a time, people give up going to the upper floor because its too tough, having to live in half a house simply because they don’t realize that it’s not just a “preference” or “choice” that they are exercising, but rather a problem that they are facing, and that there is a simple solution available.
In this article, we have selected the Best Stair Chair Lift For Seniors based on the features mentioned in our buyer’s guide and the ratings and comments mentioned by actual users on Amazon.
In our opinion, the Universal Stair Lift - 350lb Capacity - Folds Flat to Wall - Includes Warranty is the best choice among the various options that we have considered because it is ideal for people with limited mobility and rich in features.
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the AmeriGlide Horizon Standard Stair Lift, which offers great value and features at a very reasonable price point.
You may also like What Are Lift Chair Recliners?