In this article, we have reviewed the best pooper scooper for seniors. If you are in a hurry, the table below gives a quick snapshot of the top 6.
Cleaning up dog poop is an inevitable part of their ownership. It’s gross, smells bad, and is unhygienic. But responsible pet owners know that they need to clean up their dog’s poop behind them.
A survey from 2017 found that almost 49% of adults are prone to back pain, restricting them from doing regular tasks such as sitting, standing, or bending down. For an elderly person, the task of bending over to pick up dog poop is difficult because the probability of lower back pain, joint and muscle issues, and arthritis increase dramatically.
Fortunately, there are pooper scoopers available that act as an excellent tool to help you pick up your dog’s poop. In this article, we have highlighted the best pooper scooper for seniors, keeping in mind the stick’s length, weight, and other important features. Let’s check them out one by one.
Our Top Choice – Petmate Pooper Scooper
The Petmate Arm & Hammer Swivel Bin & Rake Pooper Scooper Waste Management System (2 Bonus Heavy Duty Handle Tie Waste Bags Included for Premium Odor Control) is our top choice for the best pooper scooper for seniors with dogs because his scooper features a swivel bin design that rotates in all the directions and allows for quick pick-up and transport of pet waste in varying quantities.
This soft plastic rake collects waste from various surfaces, including grass, dirt, and pavement. Its lightweight, ergonomic handle adjusts for thirty-two inches to make it comfortable for picking by the seniors without squatting, kneeling, or bending.
Best Pooper Scooper For Seniors with Dogs
#1 Petmate Pooper Scooper
Petmate Pooper Scooper is an excellent scooper choice for the elderly. The swivel rotating bin design collects pet waste from all directions and on a wide range of surfaces such as grass, dirt, and pavement.
This device features lightweight, adjustable handles that extend up to 32 inches making pick-ups possible without having to bend down or stoop. The large capacity bin is perfect for quick, multi-waste pick-ups, making it ideal for long walks.
The bin comes with hooks on both sides that hold the bin bag securely. The bin and rake handle snaps together for swivel storage when the scooper is not in use. They are made from a smooth, durable plastic that is resistant to dirt and easy to clean.
- The swivel rotating bin helps pick up waste from all the directions.
- The adjustable handles can extend up to 32″, making pick-ups possible without having to bend down.
- Lightweight handles make pick up comfortable for seniors with weak hands.
- A sturdy swivel rotating bin allows for convenient poop pick up.
- The durable plastic rake makes it easy to collect waste even on harder surfaces.
- This scooper’s weight is only 1.5 pounds, which makes it ideal for seniors who might find it difficult to hold heavier items.
- While it works for most people, some users were of the opinion that the waste bags do not fit properly.
You may also like Best Wheelchairs For Dogs
#2 Miracle Non-Stick Jaw Scoop
The Nature Miracle non-stick jaw scoop is ideal for picking pet waste from all surfaces as it is made of non-stick plastic. This lightweight scooper features a unique handle design that needs to be squeezed for picking up waste from all surfaces.
The length of the scooper is 32″ that allows seniors to clean poop without bending or putting a strain on their knees or backs.
The scooper’s jaws close down instantly on your poop due to the spring action attached to it. An easy to use, the non-stick plastic design provides antimicrobial protection.
This scooper is a popular choice among seniors because they can hold multiple piles with ease without straining their hands. The scoper is handy and weighs only 2.08 pounds, making it ideal for seniors to carry it on long walks.
- Non-stick plastic scooper to pick up from all surfaces, including gravels, grass, or concrete.
- You can squeeze the handles to pick up pet waste.
- The rake teeth are strong to extract the mess through the grass.
- Springs have great tension to close the jaw around the dog’s poop.
- The weight of this scooper is 2.08 pounds, which makes it easy to handle.
- Some users mentioned that spring started rusting after some time.
You may also like Best Pet for Special Needs Child
#3 Spotty Pooper Scooper
The Spotty metal tray with a rake is a lightweight aluminum scoop set for easy cleaning of your backyard or garden behind the pet. The tray and rake are 36.75 inches long, making it easy to clean your pet’s poop without having to bear the strain of bending over to pick it up.
This tray and rake work well with its rubber grip handles, making it ideal for seniors. Also, the soft-touch handles fit comfortably in their hands and can be operated easily even with weak hands.
The rake is TIG welded and effectively picks up waste from different surfaces. It has nine teeth that work well on grass, rocks, and mulch. Its metal phalanges scoop out poop easily. The tray and rake snap together for storage.
The large-sized bin is ideal for holding a large quantity of waste and allows for one trip pick-up. The brushed finish and rust-proof metal of this can withstand any weather conditions.
- The tray and rake are 3 feet tall, making it ideal for seniors who face difficulty bending.
- Long wood handles ensure a good grip.
- The lightweight aluminum material of the tray and scooper makes it easy to carry.
- Rust-proof metal withstands all types of weather.
- Scooper is 1.47 pounds, which makes it ideal for seniors to hold for a longer duration.
- The nine teeth rake gets between the grass easily for a thorough cleaning.
- The lightweight bin helps in effective picks up at different surfaces.
- The wood is prone to splinters as per some users’ experience.
You may also like Best Dog for Someone in a Wheelchair
#4 Four Paws Pooper Scooper
Four Paws Pooper Scooper is 29.5” high, making it ideal for elders who find it difficult to bend down so as to pick up their pets poop. Its ergonomically designed handles are made of comfortable and sturdy rubber grips that are easy on the users’ hands while collecting poop.
The long handle makes one-hand operation possible for seniors. The rake is made of durable wire, which is designed in a way to pick up waste from both grassy as well as sandy surfaces easily. The wire is long-lasting and rust-resistant. This scooper features everything you need to make scooping poop a hassle-free experience.
- Comfortable rubber grip with ergonomic handles for easy cleaning.
- This Dog rake is rust-resistant.
- Rake works best on grassy and sandy areas because of its teeth design.
- Rake measures 5 x 6.13 x 29.5 inches making it ideal for seniors.
- This lightweight scooper’s weight is 0.98 pounds, which makes it good for seniors with weak hands and arthritis.
- Some users mentioned that screws that attach the handles went loose after some time.
You may also like Best Cats for Seniors
#5 Bodhi Pooper scooper
Bodhi Pooper scooper comes in a combo of a sturdy framed poop scooper and a cute dog bone shaped poop bag dispenser which you can attach to your scoop.
The scooper comprises strong handles that offer ergonomic finger slots and an easy hang hole, making it comfortable for hands to pick waste. These scoopers are 24 inches tall, making them ideal for seniors as they do not need to bend down to pick up their dog’s poop.
The scooper comes with dispenser bags that can be attached to the shovel ends, making cleaning easier. The bag has enough capacity to hold high quantities of waste.
The jaws are controlled by two springs that give strong clamping control. The uniquely designed bucket teeth pattern leaves space for grass to escape easily but lets no waste escape.
The large scoop bucket is ideal for large dogs or small dogs, as it can easily pick large quantities of waste from all kinds of surfaces.
- Ergonomic handles are 24 inches tall that makes it ideal for seniors with aching back.
- This non-stick plastic scoop is good to use on grass or gravel.
- The bucket teeth pattern leaves an escaping space for grass but no space for poop.
- Jaws are made for strong clamping control.
- It can be a bit heavy as per some users.
You may also like Best Dog for Special Needs Child
#6 Snagle Paw Pooper Scooper
Snagle Paw Pooper Scooper is an ideal lightweight scooper for people having back issues and hand mobility problems. It features long stainless steel handles that help pick up and transport your dog’s poop very comfortably.
The adjustable 3-section handles can reach up to 38 inches, allowing seniors to adjust the height of these handles as per their convenience.
The aluminum made rake and tray easily scoop out your dog’s poop. The rake has nine sturdy teeth that can take out the mess from the grass. It also features a multifunctional spade that is good to use on a flat floor, uneven surfaces, or even at a kennel.
Moreover, its lightweight tray never gets rust and is easy to clean because it is made with non-stick coating. The protective sleeves prevent injury from sharp edges. A clip-on structure makes this scooper more reliable.
- Adjustable 3 section handle reaches 38 inches and helps in easy cleaning.
- The tray and rake comprise aluminum, and the handle is made of premium stainless steel, so they are resistant to rust.
- Nine teeth rake clean all kinds of surfaces.
- Protect sleeves protect from injury from sharp edges and work as a handgrip.
- Each handle can be detached into three pieces of the short tube for cleaning narrow spaces.
- The unique clip-on structure ensures reliable locking, prevents spinning, and does not easily lose off.
- It might not be the best pooper scooper for large dog poops.
#7 GoGo Stik Pooper Scooper
The GoGo Stick Pooper Scooper features a strong and long durable handle whose height can be adjusted between 25 to 36 inches. This handle saves your back while collecting your doggy’s business.
This scooper is designed with the principle of “no bending, no touching, and no after clean up”.
The aluminum handle is strong and sturdy. There are large bags that come with this scooper for picking up and holding a high quantity of poop on even the most challenging of surfaces.
The patented design of this scooper keeps you and your tools clean as only the bag touches your pet waste, which adds to your comfort.
- Adjustable aluminum handles of 25 to 36 inches give ease to seniors to save their back from bending.
- EZ wedge or rakes are good to clean poops from challenging surfaces.
- Scooper gives you a better cleaning experience.
- This lightweight scooper weights 9.3 ounces, making it ideal for seniors with mobility issues.
- There have been some complaints of the bag sliding while cleaning.
You may also like Best Dog for Elderly Widow
What Should You Look For before Buying a Pooper Scooper?
For seniors, it is always beneficial to look for a scooper that comes with a long and height adjustable stick so that they don’t need to bend down to pick up the poop.
For seniors, always look for lightweight scoopers as they are easy to carry around and hold even in weak hands. However, you should also make sure that while the poop scooper is lightweight, it should not compromise on durability.
Good poop scoopers should be easy for seniors to hold. Look for a scooper that has a soft and comfortable grip. The grip should offer traction but should not be abrasive on the skin.
Tray And Rake:
The tray and rake combination is better when you are buying a scooper for the elderly. The rake is useful for scooping up the poop, while an oversized tray can be used to carry it around, without having to make multiple trips. The rake should have strong teeth to clean pop from grassy surfaces.
You may also like Best Theraputty- Exercise Putty For Hand Strength
Frequently Asked Questions:
How does poop scoop work?
Poop scoopers work wonderfully to clean your dog’s poop. They use gravity to clean up pet poop, so you never have to bend or use your hands. Certain poop scoopers contain bags that can be attached easily so that waste goes directly into them.
How do you dispose of dog poop?
You can adapt many easy methods to dispose of your dog poop. You can either use plastic bags to collect your pet’s waste, or you can compost your dog’s waste, but you need to create a separate composting system for that.
You can also use poop scoopers to collect your dog’s poop. Ideally, it is the most advanced and convenient method to clean your dog’s waste without touching it.
Can you put the waste in the garbage?
Yes, you can put poop in the garbage. It is the simplest way to get rid of the dog’s poop. You can put it in a plastic bag and pop it in a trash can or flush the content in the toilet.
You may also like Best Guard Dog for Elderly
Cleaning a dog’s poop is a hard task, especially for seniors. However, an ideal poop scooper makes this job a lot easier. For seniors, an ideal poop scooper is one that lets them clean the poop without putting much strain on their back or hands.
In this article, we have selected the Best Pooper Scooper For Seniors based on the features mentioned in our buyer’s guide and the ratings and comments mentioned by actual users on Amazon.
In our opinion, the Petmate Arm & Hammer Swivel Bin & Rake Pooper Scooper Waste Management System (2 Bonus Heavy Duty Handle Tie Waste Bags Included for Premium Odor Control) is the best choice among the various options that we have considered because it comes with a long stick and a large tray for carrying a larger quantity of poop, thus enabling you to clean things up in a single trip without having to come around again.
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the Bodhi Dog Complete Poo Pack | 24" Pooper Scooper, Poop Bags, and Pet Dog Waste Bag Holder | Perfect for Small, Medium, Large, XL Pets - Great for Grass and Gravel, which offers great value and features at a very reasonable price point.