We have reviewed the best Balance Board For Seniors. If you are in a hurry, the table below gives a quick snapshot of the top 5.
If your loved ones are experiencing a shaking motion in your body while walking, it might be the first sign of a balance related problem. Each year, one in three seniors is likely to be in a fall related accident, many of which are caused due to a lack of balance.
Our muscles and bones start to weaken with age, making our body unstable. Weakened sensory input further adds to a sense of loss of balance. Inner ear disturbances, labyrinthitis, hearing loss, benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, and other chronic conditions can also cause balance problems.
Another factor to consider is how adaptive your home is to fall-related hazards. If you have steep stairs or dimly lit corridors, the risk of a balance related fall increases exponentially.
To further complicate matters, if you experience a fall related injury due to your balance issues, many doctors would not recommend corrective surgery, especially if you are also afflicted with other health complications such as blood pressure or diabetes. Therefore, it is important to practice balancing your body regularly.
When we were young we used to take gym memberships to stay healthy and in shape, and sometimes even to gain muscle mass. However, very few people may know that the gym is also home to training material that can help us resolve balance related problems. We’re talking about a balance board (also known as a wobble board).
A balance board can help us practice balancing our body in a safe and fun environment, thereby preparing us for real-world balance related challenges, and preventing further decay in bones and joints.
While walkers, rollators and other walking aid devices can support you when you walk, regular practice on a balance board can help you eliminate the problem at the root itself, and keep you fit for years to come.
In this article, we discuss this all-important tool for helping seniors avoid balance related problems, what you should look for before buying or using one, and our recommendations on the best balance boards for seniors.
What Points Should You Look For Before Buying The Best Balance Board For Seniors?
A balance board needs to have a good tilt angle and 360 degree rotational capability, in order to give you the right challenge in balancing yourself. The greater the tilt angle, the more challenging is the exercise. Depending on your capability and how much you want to challenge yourself, you can select a balance board with a higher or lower tilt.
Also, make sure that the board has a stable base. Some balancing boards also come with a detachable base, which makes it easier to clean.
Maximum Weight Capacity
Maximum weight capacity defines the weight up to which the balancing board can safely support you. If you are heavier set, choose a board that has a good weight capacity.
Portability (Weight & Handles)
A balance board can be used in your gym, office, or home during your spare time. As such, you would ideally prefer to have a board that is lightweight and easy to carry around, so that you can easily bring it with you wherever you want to carry out your exercises.
Another feature that you should look for is an in-built handle. Most balance boards have these handles which can be used to pick them up with one hand. They make the board portable.
If you want to purchase the best balance board for seniors, you need to ensure that the product has a stable base. It would be best if you should choose a balanced plank that is made of superior quality material.
The material on top of the balance board should be anti-slip so that you do not hurt yourself during your exercises. Many balance boards also have massage pegs built into the pad, which can massage your feet while you are practicing your balance exercises.
Here we have a Youtube video that shows exercises you can try with your wobble balance board.
You may also like How to Use a Cane for Balance?
Best Balance Board For Seniors
#1 Everymile Wobble Balance Board For Seniors
With a no-skid surface performing balance training workouts is now fun with this wobble balance board by Everymile. This tear-resistant board is strong and durable.
The board is ideal for seniors due to its sturdy construction from durable plastic and TPR material.
With a height of 3.94 inches and a diameter of 15.75 inches, this balancing device is perfect for any size of footwear. It can hold a weight of up to 300 pounds.
This balance board provides a 15 degree tilt angle and 360 degree rotation. The gentle tilt angle is good for seniors to balance easily by giving them a stable platform
There are convenient handles present on each side of the board to make it easy to carry it anywhere.
- Anti-skid surface to ensure maximum stability
- 15 degree gentle tilt angle for stable balance workout
- Improves body posture and aligns the spine.
- Made from plastic and TPR material, very durable and long lasting
- 15.7 inch diameter, perfect for all types of footwear
- Lightweight board (4.5 pounds), easy to hold and carry with handles on either side
- 4 color options available- yellow, red, blue and grey
- The board may be too small for people with large feet
- Do not try heavy body workout as soon as you buy the board. It can be risky.
- Not suitable for people with a larger build.
You may also like Strength Exercises For Seniors
#2 NALANDA Wobble Stability Balance Board
The NALANDA Wobble Stability Balance Board has an ergonomic design and an excellent anti-skid surface that doubles up as a massager for your feet when you stand up on it. You can use the board to do stances, squats, and light workouts apart from regular balance training.
The board provides for 360 degree rotation and a 24.5 degree section angle, which makes it a more challenging board. However, a larger diameter (16.34 inches) makes sure that the board is stable even with a higher tilt angle than most other balance boards available in the market.
The board is made from non-toxic PP and TPE material which is also easy to clean. You can make a choice between two colors: blue and black.
It has a weight of only 3.7 pounds despite its larger size, which makes it a perfectly portable exercise medium. There are convenient handles built on the board on two sides, so that it can be lifted and held easily with one hand.
The maximum weight capacity on this balance board is an astonishing 660 pounds, which means it is ideal to use for bariatric patients who are suffering from balance problems.
- Maximum weight capacity of 660 pounds, making it a good choice for bariatric patients and seniors alike
- Anti-slip rubber pad with built in massage surface – massage as you stand!
- Durable board, made from non-toxic PP & TPE material
- A low weight (3.7 pounds) and handles on either side make it easy to carry.
- Higher diameter than most other boards in the market, and greater tilt angle for a more challenging balance exercise.
- It has a 12 month warranty.
- The higher tilt angle maybe uncomfortable for people with severe balance problems
- This board is more expensive than other comparable options in the market.
You may also like Best Bikes For Balance Problems
#3 Yes4All Wooden Wobble Balance Board
The Yes4All Wooden Wobble Balance Board is the only wooden balance board in our lineup. Being made of wood gives it the distinct advantage of being the lightest board, coming in at only 3.08 pounds. This makes the balance board portable and easy to carry around with you.
This balancing board has anti-skid coating on the top, which prevents accidents while carrying out your balance exercises.The coating is antimicrobial, latex free, easy to clean, and comfortable to touch.
The board is 15.75 inches in diameter, which is good enough for most average sized footwear. It has a 15 degree tilt angle, and can rotate a full 360 degree on its axis, which makes it perfect for front to back, side to side, and circular sets.
The board uses a reinforced plastic base which adds stability. The board can carry upto a weight of 350 pounds.The bottom can be removed, which makes it easier to clean and also easier to carry the board around. For those who are aesthetically minded, the board is offered in several attractive colors and designs.
- Wooden board, extremely lightweight and easy to carry around (only 3.08 pounds)
- 15.75 inches in diameter, comfortable for most feet sizes
- 360-degree rotation and 15 degree tilt angle supports a large range of exercises
- Durable and sturdy reinforced plastic base. Base can be detached and carried separately
- The board has an Anti-skid surface, which is latex free, anti-microbial, easy to clean, and comfortable on the feet.
- Available in several colors and designs
- The hard plastic base can be slippery, and makes balance difficult
- Does not have handles in the standard model for gripping the board
- The anti-skid surface becomes smooth after a few months.
#4 IKARE Round Balance Boards For Unisex
The IKARE wobble board is available in two funky colors, sky blue, and orange. With an anti-skid surface that also has massage spikes built into it, the balance board is perfectly suitable for seniors, who can get a nice foot massage while working out barefoot on the board.
The base of the board is made with high-grade PP and TPE material, which is durable, easy to clean as well as being non-toxic.
The board has a height of 3.5 inches and a diameter of 16.34 inches, which is larger than regular balance boards available in the market. The board also has a greater tilt angle of 27 degrees, which makes it suitable for more vigorous balance exercises.
It can carry a maximum weight of up to 330 pounds, and itself weighs only 3.9 pounds, making it very lightweight. Like other balance boards, there are handles on either side to make it easy to carry this board with you.
- Available in funky colors (orange and sky blue). Suitable for the aesthetically minded
- The balancing board helps to make the core, muscles, and body strong.
- Handles on both sides make it convenient to carry it from one place to another.
- Non-slip spikes on the board surface give massage while exercising and balancing.
- Lightweight device, with handles on either side for easy portability
- 27 degree tilt angle and 360 degree rotation, suited for more challenging balance exercises
- Larger diameter (16.4 inches), suited for people with bigger feet and size
- It is not a budget friendly board
- Greater tilt angle makes the board more challenging for people with severe balance issues
- Old age people must avoid using the balancing board as it can lead to muscle injury.
You may also like Aerobic Exercises for Seniors
#5 GYMMAGE Wobble Balance Board
The Gymmage wobble balance board has a non-skid surface, perfect for doing balance workouts at home. It is made from very durable plastic material and can bear weights up to 300 pounds.
There is an anti-slip textured coating at the top of the board which improves safety during exercise.
The board is 15.7 inches in diameter with a tilt angle of 15 degrees on a 360 degree rotational base, making it perfect for gentle balancing exercises. The bottom is reinforced with heavy duty plastic, making it a stable and durable product.
The board weighs about 3.5 pounds and has handles on two sides, making it portable exercise equipment that you can carry anywhere you go.
- Weighs only 3.5 pounds, and has handles on either side for carrying it around easily
- The bottom is made from reinforced plastic for better stability and safety
- Textured anti slip surface on the top for keeping you safe while exercising
- Available at a budget-friendly price.
- Ideal for increasing muscle strength and improving body balancing.
- Handles on each side make it convenient to carry it. Weighs only 3.5 pounds
- 15 degree tilt angle and 360 degree rotation make it suitable for gentle balance exercises for seniors
- The board is 15.7 inch in diameter, suitable for average sized footwear.
- Board can withstand body weight up to 300lbs only.
- Diameter is smaller than other boards available in the market.
#6 StrongTek Professional Wooden Balance Board
The StrongTek Professional Wooden Balance Board is the only rectangular shaped board on our lineup. This type of balance board is also known as a rocker board, meant for low impact exercises.
This board is wooden and is compact and lightweight, coming in at only 5 pounds for its size (17.5 inches X 13.5 inches). This board is also a good accessory for a standing desk, if you like to practice your balance exercises while working.
The board has an anti-slip surface that is comfortable and gentle on bare feet while supporting them throughout and ensuring your safety as well.
The board is strong enough to support a weight of up to 350 pounds and has an edge rounded design which makes it safe for use for children as well as adults alike.
The downside of this balance board is that it is more of a beginner board, meant only for side to side balance exercises, not for front to back or circular exercises.
The base of the board also uses anti-slip pads, which protects your floor from getting scratched during your exercises. There is no installation required for this board, you can use it directly from out of the package.
- Only rectangular balance board in this lineup. Meant for side-to-side exercises
- Perfect for standing desks, and use while working on your laptop
- Can carry weights of up to 350 pounds
- It has a large size (17.5 X 13.5 inches), enough for most feet
- Despite its size, it weighs only 5 pounds and is easy to carry around
- Anti-slip surface on the top keeps your feet from slipping off, while still being comfortable to touch
- The base also has anti-slip coating to keep your floor safe from scratches and damage
- The rocker board has a edge rounded design, which makes it safe for adults and children alike
- It is a beginner board, meant only for side to side exercises, not circular or front to back ones. It is not challenging enough for advanced users
- No handles on the board, not easy to carry with one hand
- It is an expensive option
You may also like Best Exercises for Bone Health
In this article, we have selected the best balance board for seniors based on the features mentioned in our buyer’s guide and the ratings and comments mentioned by actual users on Amazon.
We have compared the products mentioned primarily on their ease of use, maximum weighing capacity, quality, and durability, as well as the challenge that they give you while carrying out your balance exercises.
We have also given you some pro tips on what to look for when buying a balance board. The products that we have listed out are all good choices, and all of them can help you regain and improve your balance and stability.
In our opinion, the NALANDA Wobble Balance Board, Core Trainer for Balance Training and Exercising, Healthy Material Non-Skid TPE Bump Surface, Stability Board for Kids and Adults is the best choice among the various options that we have considered because it assists the seniors in building their core strengths as well as body stability. The board is large in size and has a higher tilt angle, making the exercises more challenging and vigorous.
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the GYMMAGE Wobble Balance Board - Exercise Balance Stability Trainer for Physical Therapy, Home Gym Core & Balance Trainer with Anti-Slip Surface, Portable Standing Desk Balance Board – 15.7" Dia, as it is available at a very reasonable price while offering almost all the features that other boards are providing.
While we make every effort to provide updated and correct information, the advice given in this article and website should not be construed as “medical advice.” Please consult with your physician or medical practitioner before using any balance board. Each individual may have his or her unique issues, and your medical practitioner is the best person to decide the best balance board for your case.