In this article, we have reviewed some of the best wheelchair scales. If you are in a hurry, the table below gives a quick snapshot of the top 6.
It is important to regularly take your weight – weight is an indicator of health, nutrition and overall well-being. However, if you have a loved one who is wheelchair-bound, taking weight using a normal “stand-up” weighing scale can be a challenge.
You might have to physically carry her or him to the weighing scale. Now, this can be really dangerous for both – the person being weighed and the caregiver. There is a constant risk of falling out from a wheelchair and also, you might throw your back out doing so. If the person who has to be weighed, is too heavy then it might not even be possible.
Enter: Wheelchair Scales. A wheelchair scale is a specially designed scale, which includes a large platform with ramp and handles for easy wheelchair accessibility. It also features diamond-plate or patterned steel for grip and comes in a compact size that makes it portable for easy moving and storage.
Wheelchair scales measure the exact weight of a person excluding the weight of the wheelchair. Learn how to weigh someone in a wheelchair. They are ideal for people with limited or no mobility. They are multi-utility devices, they are not just useful in hospitals and clinics but gyms and health spas as well, and can also be used for calculating BMI and other important health parameters of their users.
There are a plethora of wheelchair scales available in the market, and even though it seems fairly simple, the task of selecting the right one for your needs can become daunting.
We have written this article with the hope that we can provide you with the right information for what you need to be looking at in the best wheelchair scale, and we have also recommended our top picks based on analysis and research.
Features That Make The Best Wheelchair Scale
Different scales have different capacities ranging from 350 lbs. to 1000 lbs. Higher weighing capacity is usually associated with higher costs. If you are looking to buy a wheelchair scale for home use or you know the approximate weight of the future users of the scale, then it might be fine to go in with a lower weight option as well.
If instead, you are buying for a gym, senior care center or a hospital, please buy a scale that has the largest range. This will help provide flexibility for bariatric patients.
Apart from weighing capacity, the dimensions of the ramp are also important. Oversized and bariatric wheelchairs are typically wider and have more depth, to properly accommodate their users. If the ramp is not large enough to hold such a wheelchair, it may not be able to accommodate bariatric users.
If you are investing in a wheelchair scale, you are possibly looking for quick and accurate readings, with very little deviation from the displayed weight. Therefore, try to find a machine that measures patientsâ€™ weight with maximum accuracy. There are some that offer a maximum of 0.1 pounds. deviation from the exact measurement. Hence go for one that shows the exact weight with the least deviation.
Pounds vs Kilos
Some machines have both units of measure available in them, others are only limited to pounds. If you might have to shift the machine in the future to some other country or are more comfortable with the metric system, you might want to check out what unit of measure the machine supports.
You may also like How to Use an Electric Wheelchair Correctly?
Wheelchair scales come with display screens to display the weight of the patient, along with other measures such as BMI. Make sure that the figures are displayed in large, easy to read characters and display information includes all metrics that you need to capture.
A high-quality load cell ensures consistency. If your wheelchair scale is consistent, the reading adjusts instantly when the load changes. This type of wheelchair scale is ideal in places where the flow of wheelchair-using patients is quite high.
Wheelchair scales are large devices and can be quite heavy as well. If you would like to have a device that might have to be moved regularly, you should consider its weight as well. A lightweight device would be more portable.
Most wheelchair scales come with built-in handles and wheels, which is a great feature to look for. Also, some have 2-side ramps for easy loading and unloading. Leveling feet and collapsible stands are some other features that make them portable and easy to store.
Ensure that the wheelchair scale that you choose is made of sturdy material that lasts for long and at the same time is lightweight for easy portability.
Look for a simple wheelchair scale that can be installed and uninstalled easily, which you can simply unfold and plug-in for use.
The surface of the scale should be made of anti-slip material that can prevent any unforeseen incidents and which increases traction.
Some wheelchair scales work on AC/DC adapter whereas some works on both, AC/DC as well as AA batteries. The ones, which run on batteries, give a cordless option. If you are worried about portability, you should buy a wheelchair scale that has a cordless feature, with rechargeable batteries.
You may also like Best Wheelchair Carriers
Best Wheelchair Scale Reviews
#1 Meilestone MS-WCS1000 With Dual Ramp
Right at the top of our list of the best wheelchair scales is the Milestone MS-WCS1000. This wheelchair scale, with dual ramp has the best weight-accuracy measure in our entire lineup.
Coming in at a weighing capacity of 1000 pounds, with an accuracy of 0.1 pound, this device is a powerhouse for bariatric and normal users alike.
For its weighing capacity, this machine itself weighs only 50 pounds and measures 38.1 x 34.5 x 3 inches. This wheelchair scale has an all-metal construction, with 4 load cells firmly mounted on top and welded in place with 0.5-inch thick steel plates.
Like the PEC tools weighing scale, this device also has its load cells connected with the ABS junction completely through tubes, making it wireless and safe to use for the elderly.
The scale’s top surface is powder coating for long-lasting durability and has 2 ramps on either side for easily rolling the wheelchair on top.
- Durable flat powder-coated surface, with ramps on either side
- Can withstand weight up to 1000 pounds, with an accuracy of 01. pounds
- 4 Load cells for highly consistent and accurate results
- No wiring used to connect load cells to junction box
- Wheels and handles on the sides which make it comfortable to move the device from one place to another.
- Weighs only 50 pounds
- Easy to use and set up, very little maintenance required
- One year warranty is provided with the machine
- No rechargeable batteries
#2 Angel Canada Heavy Duty Digital Wheelchair Scale
For our Canadian readers, the Angel Canada Heavy Duty Digital Wheelchair Scale is a great option. It is probably the best wheelchair scale in Canada.
This digital portable wheelchair scale is made of a heavy-duty metal platform of size 33 X 30.5 inches (with the ramp). The weighing device helps to weigh the patients who cannot stand and use a wheelchair.
It can measure weights upto 300 kg. The measurement is done in 100g increments. The measurement can also be done in pounds.
There is a two-way access ramp that makes it convenient to weigh the patient from either side.
If you want a wall mounting view to the digital display, you can view it on the flexible cable remote display unit available with this wheelchair scale. The display unit can be rotated easily to fix it at an easy viewing angle for both the patient and the caregiver.
The device is very portable due to the availability of 2 guide handles and two wheels. Cleaning and maintaining equipment is also very convenient.
Another great feature is the fact that the scale works on both batteries as well as through the power adapter. The ramp has handles on one side and wheels on the other, which makes it portable and easy to carry around.
- Portable, easy to transfer
- Sturdy metal body that makes the equipment durable.
- There are wheels and handles on the device to move it around easily. Secondly, it weighs only about 43 pounds overall, so it is quite easy to carry around as well
- Works with both power adapter and AA batteries.
- Measures upto 300kg with an accuracy of 100g (That’s about 660 pounds)
- Wall mounted digital display with easy rotation
- Two way access ramp for ease of use
- A maximum weighing capacity of 660 pounds might still be less for some bariatric patients
- Oversized wheelchairs will not fit on the scale.
You may also like What is the Width of a Standard Wheelchair?
#3 Heavy Duty Wheelchair Scale Platform By Salter Brecknell
This wheelchair scale is perfect for accurately measuring the weight of people using bariatric wheelchairs. It has a maximum weight capacity of 1000 pounds (500kg), within a deviation of 200grms.
The scale is made from Powder-coated steel, measuring 31.5 X 31.5 X 1.8 inches in size, and with the ramp included measures 41.3 X 41.3 inches. The steel frame makes this scale very durable. The top plate surface is smooth, and has built-in ramps on both sides.
It has 2 wheels and a handle on the sides, that makes it comfortable to relocate it anywhere. The patient can remain seated and the weight is shown on a digital screen, which is made from durable ABS plastic and can show upto 6 digits on a 20mm screen.
For uneven floors, there are footpads on the machine which can be used to balance it. Those who operate the wheelchair scale must see to it that the device is flat while taking the weight of the patient.
With a height of 2.5 inches, the device has a low profile that makes it suitable for wheelchairs. This wheelchair scale can work both with AC power supply and a rechargeable internal battery.
The wheelchair assembly is easy and requires very little maintenance or parts. There are handrails provided with the wheelchair which can be used by the patient or caregiver to hold on to while the weight is taking place.
- Adjustable Footpads for placing the machine on uneven surfaces
- Can be used with bot AC power supply and rechargeable battery (with a 30-hour capacity)
- Can measure upto 1000 pounds (true bariatric)
- Wheels and handle for easy portability
- Easy to read digital display (20mm in size)
- There is no installation or maintenance cost.
- 1 year warranty
- The white color of the weighing equipment can get dirty often and will require extra maintenance.
- The product weighs 106 pounds, it is a bit heavy if you are looking for a portable scale
- Quite expensive as compared to other options
#4 PEC TOOLS: Portable Wheel Chair Scale With Dual Ramp
This sturdy yet lightweight device has a weight-bearing capacity of 700 pounds, with an accuracy of 0.1 pound.
It features a PEC IN202 indicator, which has an easy to read 6 digit display. Four alloy aluminum load cells in the device help to measure the weight with 100% consistency. The load cells are mounted on steel plates and are firmly welded onto the top surface.
The load cells use tubes to connect to the ABS junction, no wires are exposed in the process making it a very safe device, especially for seniors.
The device weighs a mere 60 pounds and includes two side handles and two wheels that make it very comfortable to move the machine from one location to another.
The dual ramp on this scale makes it convenient to load the patient and measure the weight. The scale is straightforward for patients who have certain medical issues giving their weight through a wheelchair. The base is flat with a length of 33 inches and a height of 25 inches.
- A light-weighted device with handles and wheels on the sides for easy portability
- Can weigh upto 700 pounds with an accuracy of 0.1 pounds.
- The scale uses high-quality load cells for consistent results
- Load cells use tubes to connect to the junction box, no wires are exposed, making it a safe device for seniors
- Dual ramp for easy weighing
- Uses a PEC IN202 for easy to read, 6 digits digital display of the weight
- Two side ramps make it convenient to use the equipment for weighing patients.
- 30-day money back and 12 month warranty
- Does not work on uneven and rough floors.
- Single color option available.
- Does not have a rechargeable battery option
You may also like Most Comfortable Wheelchairs
#5 Selleton Wheel Chair Drum Scale Aluminum
This wheelchair has a drum scale aluminum construction, making it a very sturdy choice for long term usage. The scale has a 47.5 X 44 inches size, and weighs only 55 pounds, making it perfectly sized for larger wheelchairs, while still being light enough to move around.
The weighing scale has a weight capacity of 1000 pounds, with an accuracy measure of 0.2 pounds.
This weighing scale works with both AC adaptors as well as AA batteries. Hence you can go completely wireless if need be.
The aluminum plating has a diamond design that provides perfect traction and grip while loading and unloading the wheelchair.
The heavy-duty quick connecting cable is strong enough to measure the weight accurately. It has both wheels and side handles that make the equipment very portable.
- The aluminum wheelchair scale has a highly durable and sturdy construction.
- The diamond design on the platform provides an ideal grip and does not make the wheelchair move.
- Folding handles provide perfect mobility.
- Perfect for large sized wheelchairs with a 47.5 X 44 inches platform
- Very lightweight considering its size
- 2 year limited warranty
- Can display both kg and pounds
- It’s a very expensive wheelchair. Other comparable wheelchairs are at 1/3rd the price of this one.
#6 Detecto Wheelchair Scale
If we were to choose one luxury wheelchair scale, our top choice would be the Detecto Wheelchair Scale 6550. It is the only wheelchair scale in our lineup that can do the EMR/EHR calculations, with optional Wi-fi capability for uploading the data. This scale really comes with a lot of bells and whistles.
It is made from stainless steel for lasting durability. The weighing panel is 32 x 36 inches in size.
This fully digitalized weight indicator has an easy to read LCD that efficiently measures body mass weight index.
The alphanumeric keypad is convenient to understand by anyone who operates the machine. It has a 350 degree swivel mount LCD panel that can be charged by using an AC adaptor or 6 size AA batteries.
The panel displays weight in both pounds and kilograms and can measure a weight of upto 450kg with an accuracy of 0.1kg.
The wheelchair has a flat ramp of 2.2 inches, for easy access by wheelchair. There are ramps on either side of the plate for easily getting a wheelchair on and off.
- The wheelchair scales column is easily foldable and can be stowed away while moving it. There are handles and wheels on the side for easy movement as well. The scale weighs 91 pounds, which is a bit high for its class.
- The scale can be used with both AC power or 6 rechargeable AA batteries
- This is the only device in this lineup that also does EHR/EMR readings, with optional wi-fi capability for uploading the data
- The wheelchair scale column is collapsible, which is very handy and safe when you want to move it around
- This scale can measure upto 100pounds with a 0.2pound accuracy. You can measure in both kg and pounds
- The wheelchair base is flat and has ramps on both side for easy access by wheelchair
- 350 degrees of swivel mount provides maximum visibility from all sides.
- Highly expensive device due to EMR/EHR capability.
- If the pin in the bottom of the column is misplaced, then it can cause injury.
It is important to regularly measure the weight of a wheelchair user due to medical reasons. Apart from being an important metric of nutrition and wellness, weight is also a good indicator of how active the patient is, which is extremely important for paraplegics.
In this article, we have selected the best wheelchair scale based on the features mentioned in our buyerâ€™s guide and the ratings and comments mentioned by actual users on Amazon.
In our opinion, the Meilestone MS-WCS1000 1000lb Wheelchair Scale / Portable Light Weight Floor Wheelchair Scale for Home or Senior Care House | with Dual Ramp is the best choice among the various options that we have considered because it has a high capacity, great features, and comes at a very reasonable price.
If you are looking for a high-end model, which can also do EMR/EHR and measure BMI for your, you can consider the Detecto, Wheelchair Scale, Portable, Folding Column, 1000 lb x .2 lb / 450 kg x .1 kg, which offers these features along with optional wi-fi connectivity for uploading the data.