Looking to buy smartphones for someone above 65? Browse our list of the seven best smartphones for seniors. Our top three choices are summarized below
Smartphones are now a necessity. People of all ages are using smartphones, whether kids or seniors. Most seniors are switching to using smartphones over regular phones as they see several benefits of doing so.
Research shows that 42% of seniors above 65 were using smartphones in 2017, as compared to just 18% in 2013, an increase of 24 percentage points, with a growing senior population to boot. By now, this number will have surely risen even further.
However, unfortunately, not all smartphones are designed keeping in mind the seniors’ needs. Seniors need wider screens, easier-to-use features, less complexity, better and louder speakers, and other things that are missing in normal smartphones.
Fortunately, there are a few that are genuinely good. We have selected some of the best smartphones for seniors in the list below. But before we do so, let us take a glance at what we considered as important features in selecting these products.
What Should You Look For In a Smartphone for Seniors?
Poor eyesight is extremely common among the elderly, which is why it is essential that the smartphone you choose for them also has a larger screen display. A larger screen is a solution to many problems faced by the elderly such as they cannot see things properly on a smaller screen.
Usually, the menu items and the text associated with them are displayed in a smaller font. You can increase the font and item size from the settings menu because of a larger screen. You will be able to fit more things on the screen.
You might like to read: Guide to Helping Seniors with Technology
An ideal smartphone for the elderly should have simpler controls and easy navigation. Research shows that only 18% of seniors are comfortable with adapting to complex and new technologies. That’s why it is important to make technology accessible and easy to use. Pick a phone which has the bases covered (calling, text, internet, camera, music).
Don’t go for fancy smartphones with outlandish features that they are never going to use. Seniors are not concerned about complex functions and features. If they can get their preferred functions on the home screen, they wouldn’t have to navigate items from the menu.
As a senior, they expect a phone to be easy to control and operate. The functions that they want to perform on a smartphone are generally limited.
Instead of going for advanced smartphones with complex controls, you should select phones with basic and simple user interfaces. Things such as scratch resistance, waterproofing, tough build are among the factors that enhance a smartphone.
Safe and secure
In 2020, about $1Bn was scammed from the elderly through various online schemes and machinations. While a secure smartphone is not a foolproof solution to this problem, it will certainly help avoid many of these frauds.
A newer operating system will have the best safety and privacy features. Smartphones with a fingerprint scanner and facial recognition ability will also enhance security.
Convenience is also among the significant factors when a person buys a smartphone. A smartphone can be very convenient if it is not very heavy and bulky.
Thinner and lightweight smartphones have grown to be popular among people. If a phone also has a good internal memory, then it means that you will not have to look for external storage devices for storing all your essential data.
The main objective of a person buying a smartphone is for their performance, whether an adult or senior is making the purchase. Smartphones with at least 2 GB of RAM and 16 GB of internal memory are ideal.
These smartphones can multitask and manage other applications efficiently. You will not experience a lag or your phone hanging with such specifications.
Can you make an existing smartphone ideal for the elderly?
You can take help from android launchers that are designed especially for seniors. These launchers have large display icons, easier controls. You also get a simplified menu list. You can increase the text size if the senior person has difficulty reading smaller texts.
Gestures can be a feature that can be confusing for seniors to understand. To prevent such confusion, you can turn off the gestures before giving them the phone. Phones that don’t have any gestures are ideal for them.
#1 Moto E By Motorola 2/32GB: Large Screen Display
- Convenient: 9.5/10
- Performance: 9/10
- Safety: 9.8/10
- User-friendly: 9.7/10
- Large Screen: 9.8/10
- Easy Navigation: 9.6/10
- Overall Score: 9.8/10
- RAM: 2 GB
- Internal Memory: 32 GB
- Battery Backup: 4500 mAh
- Camera: 13 Megapixels with the dual-camera system
- Operating system: Android
This smartphone is ideal for seniors as it has a large screen display. The seniors that have weaker eyesight will find this feature very helpful. The screen on this smartphone is 6.2 inches wide.
- This phone is super fast as it has an octa-core processor.
- This smartphone is super responsive and has high performance.
- You can use this smartphone for a long time because of its long battery backup.
- This smartphone has a fingerprint scanner.
- This phone is waterproof and splash resistant.
- This phone does not come with a wireless charging option.
- You might also experience some compatibility issues with this phone.
- Convenient: The wide and prominent display on this smartphone is ideal for the elderly. Elders with weak eyesight can use a setting with large display icons. This will help them to use the phone. This smartphone has an Android 10.0 operating system, among the latest technologies. With this operating system, your phone will be compatible with the majority of the applications available globally.
- Performance: This phone has a fast octa-core processor. Due to this octa-core process, this smartphone will be able to perform at high speed. The 632 Snapdragon processor can manage multiple applications together. Seniors will be able to multitask with the help of these smartphones.
- User-friendly: This smartphone is waterproof and splash-resistant. Due to this feature, seniors can use these phones even in their washrooms or while taking a bath. As an elderly person, you will not have to charge this phone regularly as it has an excellent battery backup. The battery on this smartphone can go on for 42 hours long.
- Safe: You even get a unique feature of a safety fingerprint lock on the phone. With the help of this feature, only you will be able to access the phone. Other people will not be able to access your phone without your permission. This serves as an ideal platform for maintaining your privacy and safety.
- Large Screen: This smartphone has a 6.2 inches widescreen. This screen has a special that emits less amount of blue light. Blue light can be harmful to our eyes and might result in weaker eyesight in elders.
- Easy Navigation: This smartphone also has a friendly interface. You can even update and change this interface for easy navigation. Android 10 provides you with the features to change and alter the themes.
#2 Blackview A80 4G Dual Sim Smartphone: GPS Tracking
- Convenient: 9.4/10
- Performance: 9.5/10
- Safety: 9.3/10
- User-friendly: 9.3/10
- Large Screen: 9.2/10
- Easy Navigation: 9.5/10
- Overall Score: 9.4/10
- RAM: 2 GB
- Internal Memory: 16 GB
- Battery Backup: 4200 mAh
- Camera: 13 Megapixel dual-camera system
- Operating system: Android 10.0
This smartphone has a GPS feature that will allow your closed one to track your phone. This is a feature that is helpful for the elderly or patients with Alzheimer’s. These people can lose track of time and sense of direction.
- This smartphone has an excellent battery backup. It will last for a long time.
- This smartphone has facial recognition features and a fingerprint scanner to maintain your social security.
- This smartphone has an expandable memory of up to 128 GB, and its internal memory is 16 GB.
- A dual-camera system in this phone will allow you to click high-quality pictures with great depth.
- The audio system on this smartphone is high-definition. You’ll be able to enjoy the best of music and surround sound with this phone.
- The fingerprint scanner on this smartphone might not work correctly if you have dirty hands or fingers.
- The built quality of the charging port on this smartphone might be questionable.
- Convenient: This is a smartphone with the feature to have two SIM cards. This is an excellent feature for seniors as you can maintain contact with them on two phone numbers instead of just one. This will come in handy in emergencies.
- Performance: The 2 GB RAM in this phone helps its users to work on multiple applications simultaneously. If you are also a fan of photography, you must consider purchasing this phone to allow you to click pictures with depth and clarity.
- User-friendly: This smartphone comes equipped with a 4200 mAh battery installed. This smartphone can work for 480 hours without charging if kept on standby. Seniors usually don’t use smartphones that often, so they will not have to charge this phone frequently.
- Safe: This smartphone ensures your assets’ complete safety and security because of its safe locking features. You get a fingerprint scanner and a facial recognition locking system in this smartphone. Using these features, only you will be able to gain access to your smartphone.
- Large Screen: This phone is perfect for senior citizens as it has a large screen. This large screen displays everything with much clarity. People that have blurred or fuzzy vision will benefit from this feature.
- Easy Navigation: This phone has simple navigation because of its senior-friendly user interface. Seniors can easily adapt to this smartphone without any confusion.
#3 TCL Smartphone 4/128 Android Phone: Wide Screen Display, Easier on the Eyes
- Convenient: 8.9/10
- Performance: 8.7/10
- Safety: 8.6/10
- User-friendly: 8.5/10
- Large Screen: 8.8/10
- Easy Navigation: 8.7/10
- Overall Score: 9/10
- RAM: 4 GB
- Internal Memory: 128 GB
- Battery Backup: 5000 mAh big battery
- Camera: 48 Megapixels quad-camera setup
- Operating system: Android 11
This smartphone has a 6.82 inches wide display screen which is great for seniors who have difficulty understanding the content on a phone with a small screen. The pixels on the screen of this phone are specially designed to provide you with enhanced visuals.
- This smartphone has a big 5000 mAh battery.
- You get an immersive experience with the high-definition and wide display screen.
- A 48 Megapixel AI quad-camera setup to boost your photography skills
- The aesthetics of this smartphone are very ergonomic and convenient.
- You also get an extended storage space with this smartphone.
- If not used properly, you may experience some glitches with the phone.
- This phone is excellent for essential functions, but it is ideal for you to perform advanced functions.
- Convenient: You can use this smartphone continuously for hours without draining its battery. Elders won’t have to charge the phone often and can be reached anytime without having to worry about a dead battery. The 5000 mAh battery in this smartphone will support you even if you want to perform multiple tasks on your phone.
- Performance: The Qualcomm octa-core processor in this smartphone can quickly process all the data and tasks. You will get a cinematic experience on this smartphone, and it has dual speakers. The dual speakers are designed to give you a surround sound effect.
- User-friendly: Seniors will find using this phone simpler because of its easy-to-understand user interface. You can store all your files, photos, music, videos on this phone as it has an extended capacity of 128 GB. You can even expand the internal memory on your smartphone up to 256 GB, as this is supported by this phone.
- Safe: This smartphone has a fingerprint scanner. You will be able to use this fingerprint scanner to lock and unlock your phone. This is among the latest technologies for protecting your phone from outside threats. Seniors can even set a facial lock on your phone so that no one else gets access to their content.
- Large Screen: This smartphone has an exceptionally large screen that is 6.82 inches wide which is great for seniors with poor eyesight. The screen size of this smartphone is comparable to the size of some tablets as well.
- Easy Navigation: You benefit from the latest technologies and operating systems in this phone. You also can alter and change the user interface according to your needs.
#4 Oukitel 4/64 GB Android Smartphone: Waterproof
- Convenient: 8.4/10
- Performance: 8.3/10
- Safety: 8.7/10
- User-friendly: 8.3/10
- Easy navigation: 8.2/10
- Large Screen: 8.9/10
- Overall Score: 8.5/10
- RAM: 16 GB
- Internal Memory: 64 GB
- Battery Backup: 5000 mAh
- Camera: 16 Megapixel triple rear camera
- Operating system: Android 10
This smartphone is ideal for seniors because it has a waterproof screen and a long battery life. Seniors can take this phone with them in the washroom for reaching someone in case of an emergency without having to worry about accidentally spilling water on the phone.
- This smartphone has a large display screen, yet it is among the thinnest phones available.
- You will be able to capture all the best moments with the triple rear camera setup.
- An octa-core processor in this phone will result in high performance. You will be able to surf through the internet faster because of the processor.
- You get sufficient storage in this smartphone, and you will be able to store all your important stuff.
- This phone has a sturdy and solid build, and it has a display screen that is protected and drop-proof.
- This smartphone might be too big to fit inside your pockets.
- You should not use a phone for too long as it might cause your eyes to strain.
- Convenient: This smartphone has one of the best builds based on durability. The display screen on this smartphone is scratch-resistant as well as drop-proof. Your phone will sustain minimal damage even falling from a good height. The screen is 6.49 inches wide, fitted with Gorilla Glass.
- Performance: This phone has 64 GB of internal storage. This storage space is expandable and large enough to store all your stuff. You will also be left with plenty of storage to create and store more memories. The octa-core processor in this smartphone boosts the device’s speed, due to which you can perform multiple functions at the same time.
- User-friendly: This smartphone has an extended battery backup of 5000 mAH. With this, you can use your phone, talk, stream movies or music for hours and hours without ever needing to charge the phone for the entire day. The screen of this phone also resists water. This is a good feature for the elderly as, at times, they can be a little bit clumsy and drop water on their phones.
- Safe: You will not find this smartphone challenging to carry as it is very thin and lightweight. You can lock and unlock the phone with the help of your fingerprints. You get one of the latest operating systems on this phone, the Android 10. It is excellent software for your privacy. You will also get the feature of a dark theme with this phone. It will give a different aesthetic to your phone and also save energy.
- Large Screen: This smartphone is perfect for the elderly as it has a big screen that is 6.49 inches wide. This screen has a high-definition resolution allowing you to enjoy all your entertainment to the best of its ability.
- Easy Navigation: This smartphone has a special feature that will allow you to download and install themes easily. You can go for themes designed to cater to the needs of the elderly.
#5 Nokia G10 Android Smartphone:Wide Display, Brightness Boost
- Convenient: 7.9/10
- Performance: 7.8/10
- Safety: 7.6/10
- User-friendly: 7.6/10
- Large Screen: 7.7/10
- Easy Navigation: 7.5/10
- Overall Score: 7.5/10
- RAM: 3 GB
- Internal Memory: 32 GB
- Battery Backup: 5050 mAh
- Camera: 13 Megapixel triple-camera setup
- Operating system: Android 11
This smartphone has a 6.52 inches HD display which comes with a brightness boost feature. This helps elderly people to have a visible screen on their smartphone even when under the sun.
- This phone has the latest Android 11, which has great security features suitable for a smartphone for a senior.
- The smartphone has a user-friendly design.
- It has a facial recognition feature and a fingerprint sensor for better security.
- It has a big screen of 6.52 inches with a boost of brightness when needed.
- You get 3 GB RAM, which helps you run multiple apps simultaneously without any lag.
- The big battery life gives a backup of upto three days.
- The Mediatek helio processor enhances the smartphone performance.
- The memory on this smartphone might not be sufficient for someone who likes to store too much content.
- The camera is not that great for professional photographs.
- Convenient: The smartphone is very convenient to use. It has a high battery life with a 5050 mAh battery. Once fully charged, the battery can last upto 3 days. Elders often forget to charge their phone and end up with a dead battery, that won’t be the case with this smartphone.
- Performance: This smartphone has a Mediatek helio G25 processor which offers optimal performance. Combine that with android 11 and you have got a high performing smartphone that doesn’t lag or slows down even while using multiple apps simultaneously.
- User-friendly: The smartphone is great for seniors with it being user friendly. All the apps are arranged in the menu that you can access in an instant by swiping up on the home screen. Also there is an option for you to increase the size of the text and apps icons to have better visibility for elderly.
- Safe: Elders often get hacked in case they don’t have proper security. This smartphone has a facial recognition and fingerprint sensor feature that helps protect the phone’s data. Also the smartphone gets regular security updates automatically to offer better security.
- Large Screen: This smartphone features a 6.52 inch big screen that comes with a brightness boost. Elderly people face trouble seeing the content on their smartphone clearly when in sunlight. The instant brightness boost on this phone helps tackle that problem.
- Easy Navigation: This smartphone has android 11 operating system which is easy to use. Also controlling several apps at once is made possible on this device. The free updates for two years will help keep the phone up to date to any new change.
#6 Moto G Power Android Smartphone: Powerful Display
- Convenient: 7.3/10
- Performance: 7.4/10
- Safety: 7.4/10
- User-friendly: 7.2/10
- Large screen: 7.4/10
- Easy navigation: 7.2/10
- Overall Score: 7.4/10
- RAM: 3 GB
- Internal Memory: 32 GB
- Battery Backup: 5000 mAh
- Camera: 48 Megapixel triple camera setup
- Operating system: Android
This smartphone from Motorola is ideal for elderly people with its 6.6” HD+ max vision display. Older people often have poor eyesight, and with the large display on this smartphone, they will be able to see and read the content on the phone easily.
- This smartphone has a 5000 mAh battery which can last upto three days.
- The phone comes in two different memory configurations- 3GB/32GB and 4GB/64GB.
- The 48 megapixel triple camera at the back takes amazing photos.
- The Qualcomm snapdragon processor on this phone offers a better response time.
- This smartphone is water repellent.
- It supports all major carriers- GSM or CDMA.
- The phone doesn’t support 5G.
- It sometimes faces trouble while connecting to a network.
- Convenient: The 5000 mAh battery makes the phone extremely convenient for an elderly as they don’t have to spend hours charging the phone. One single charge can last upto three days. This phone is unlocked and supports all the major carriers for both GSM and CDMA. Elderly people can choose any carrier depending upon who provides the best service in their area.
- Performance: This smartphone offers a great performance with its high speed Qualcomm snapdragon processor. Elderly people don’t remember to clear out their cache memory or close apps every time and that can cause lagging in smartphones. This phone doesn’t lags or slows down when there are too many apps open at once.
- User-friendly: This smartphone is user-friendly with its easy to use features. Also, the phone has a water repellant design which makes it more convenient for eldelry to take their phone in the washroom so that they don’t miss an important call and be able to contact someone in case of an emergency.
- Safe: Apart from the basic safety features like setting a pattern or pin to lock or unlock your device, you also get a fingerprint sensor on this smartphone. Elder people have trouble remembering their pin or password. A fingerprint security will help them access their phone even when they forgot their password.
- Large Screen: This smartphone has a high definition max vision 6.6 inch display. The ultra wide screen is great for elderly people who have poor eyesight. The large screen size makes it easier to access the phone.
- Easy Navigation: The features on this smartphone are easy to use. To open up the menu all you need to do is just swipe up. You can also change the layout of your home screen and have apps that you use on a regular basis, right there on the main screen.
#7 Jitterbug Smartphone For Seniors: Easiest To Use
- Convenient: 6.9/10
- Performance: 6.8/10
- Safety: 6.9/10
- User-friendly: 6.7/10
- Large screen: 6.7/10
- Easy navigation: 7/10
- Overall Score: 7/10
- RAM: Not mentioned
- Screen size: 6.22 inches
- Cellular technology: 4G
- Safety system: Yes
- Operating system: Android 10
This smartphone is ideal for seniors as it has a very simple and ergonomic user interface. The menu on this smartphone is displayed in the form of a list. Seniors can easily access this menu and utilize its features.
- It also has the feature to use your voice for typing.
- It has a large screen, wide enough to display every icon.
- The unique emergency response service provided by this smartphone is also beneficial.
- You can stay connected with your loved ones over this phone through the video calling feature.
- You might have to pay a minimal activation fee for the emergency services.
- Convenient: This smartphone has the feature to translate your voice or speech to text. This is an excellent feature for people who cannot read, write, or text. Speaking is less strenuous than typing as well. You also get a unique feature in this mobile by the name of the lively link. This link gives constant health updates to your family.
- Performance: You get a simple to navigate and see on this phone. This smartphone also has a partnership with Lyft, so if you want to travel somewhere using Lyft, all you need to do is press the button zero on the keypad.
- User-friendly: You can use this smartphone as it works on 4G cellular technology. The video calls and the voice calls over this smartphone are clearer and sharper. You will stay connected with your family and loved ones even if you live far from each other.
- Safe: This smartphone gives you access to a live response team. With a touch of a button, you will be instantly connected to a team of professional caretakers. They will help and guide you through any difficult situation. This is an excellent feature for senior users.
- Large Screen: This smartphone has a wide screen that is 6.22 inches wide. You can use this bigger screen to enjoy all kinds of multimedia. This screen will also allow you to increase the size of the text and menu items for better visibility to seniors having poor eyesight.
- Easy Navigation: You will find all the essential features such as the calling icon, contacts list, camera, and so on on the main screen itself. Due to this, elders will not have to navigate through the vast menu of the phone.
Our Top 3 Choices
All the smartphones depicted in the above list are carefully chosen and selected. We have spent hours finding the best solution for your problems. These smartphones are perfect for seniors as they are filled with great features and facilities. Amongst these seven, our top three choices are:
The best option is the Moto E By Motorola 2/32GB. This is because this smartphone is ideal for seniors as it has a large screen display. The seniors that have weaker eyesight will find this feature very helpful.
The Blackview A80 4G Dual Sim Smartphone is another great choice. It offers a GPS feature that will allow your closed one to track your phone. This is a feature that is helpful for the elderly or patients with Alzheimer’s.
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the Jitterbug Smartphone For Seniors, which offers access to a live response team, is safe for elders and convenient, and all this at a very reasonable price point.