We have reviewed the best bras for mastectomy. If you are in a hurry, the table below gives a quick snapshot of the top 7.
More than 300,000 new cases of breast cancer cases were encountered in 2017, and nearly 40,000 women died of breast cancer that year.
Despite the social stigma of having to lose your breasts, mastectomy is considered to be one of the safest and best options to deal with early-stage breast cancer.
One of the challenges associated with post-mastectomy surgery is to find the right supportive and compressive bra.
Special post-surgical mastectomy bras use compression technology to quickly heal surgical wound. Mastectomy bras are also designed to be especially soft so as to avoid irritation on the skin.
Due to these properties, mastectomy bras are even worn by women who have not had an operation but are uncomfortable wearing traditional bras. If you are searching for the best bras for mastectomy, you have come to the right place. We have lined up the seven best bras for mastectomy for you.
The video below shows a fitting guide for your bra after mastectomy.
Our Top Choice – QT Intimates Mastectomy Bra
The Q-T Intimates Molded Cup Mastectomy Bra, Ivory, 38B is our top choice for Best Bras For Mastectomy.
This support bra has cosy, breathable cotton patches that fit most breast forms. Moreover, this versatile bra has beautiful floral lace detailing.
Some of the best features of this mastectomy bra are:
- The bra has moisture-absorbing pockets. It is important to keep the surgical wound clean and dry, and by absorbing moisture this bra helps reduce chances of infection in the wound.
- The pockets are 100% cotton, making them extremely breathable for comfort and soft to touch. Therefore, it is perfect to be worn over the wound.
- It is made from 90% Nylon and 10% Spandex. The combination of spandex and nylon makes the bra extremely stretchable and form fitting.
- The bra is available in a wide range of sizes from 34-46 and cup sizes from B-D.
- It has comfortable wide straps for fitting perfectly over the shoulders.
- There is a beautiful floral lacing around the bra.
- The bra is made from durable, form-fitting nylon fabric.
- Cup runs slightly larger than average.
- It is crafted with wide sides for better comfort and care. It has a closure at the back.
Best Bras For Mastectomy
#1 QT Intimates Mastectomy Bra
QT Intimates Mastectomy Bra is a specially designed bra for post breast surgery. After a mastectomy, it may take time for you to adapt to your new post-surgery shape.
This bra is specially designed for this purpose. It is an ideal molded cup mastectomy bra made of soft, breathable cotton.
The versatile bra is crafted with wide sides and straps. The beautiful floral lace detailing on this bra gives it a wonderful look. The best thing about this bra is that it has moisture-absorbing pockets that allow for maximum comfort.
This helps you to wear this bra for a longer time. This bra is the best choice for those having a double mastectomy. The molded cups give ease and better shape to you. The bra is made of form-fitting nylon spandex fabric, which ensures better comfort and care.
- This bra fits most breast forms perfectly.
- The bra is made from 90% Nylon and 10% Spandex, making it stretchable and form-fitting
- Floral lace details.
- Wide sides of the bra with adequate back closure.
- Pockets are specially designed to absorb moisture.
- Pockets are made out of 100% cotton, which makes them very comfortable against the skin.
- Straps are comfortable and well made.
- It is available in sizes from 34 to 46, and cup sizes from B to D
- The weight of this molded cup bra is 3.9 ounces.
- Too much padding may sometimes cause discomfort.
- Cups are big as compared to a regular bra.
You may also like Best Bras After Shoulder Surgery
#2 KAHIOE Pocket Bra
This pocket bra is one of the best bras in the market designed for ladies post breast surgeries. It is made of high-quality cotton comfort and is a decompression sleep bra.
The 2 in 1 pocket design helps in the proper care of your breasts. This bra is friendly and durable, as it is made of high-quality cotton material.
This special-purpose bra aids in showing silicon breast form or prosthesis for a more natural look. It helps give invisible support and amazing shape. Cross pocket design at the back holds the form in place and provides full support.
Moreover, these post-mastectomy bras allow the breast form to jiggle and move in a better way. Lace design and bright colors add to the charm of this bra.
- Bra offers invisible support with a fabulous shape.
- A 360-degree random coil gives a healthy and comfortable feel.
- Special purpose bra to show silicone breast form.
- Sewed pockets on the back to hold forms in place.
- Widened shoulder strap and soft fabric touch.
- Lace design gives a perfect look.
- The bra does not fit the large prosthesis.
#3 Sendyou Women Everyday Bra
Sendyou Women’s bras are high-quality skin-friendly bras. They are perfect to wear after mastectomy. It is essential to choose the right breast form for your needs.
The post-surgical bra is made of skin-friendly fabric. The invisible pockets of the bra are suitable for partial mastectomy and post-mastectomy.
This bra can match all artificial breast shapes: teardrop, spiral, triangular shape, or long side design shape. You can use this bra not just for post-surgical mastectomy but also as an everyday bra.
Their soft cotton big cups give comfort and care, making them suitable to wear for the whole day. Moreover, you can choose the size as per your body needs.
- An everyday bra with soft cotton cups.
- Beautiful and adjustable lace.
- This bra can match all artificial breast sizes.
- Wire-free bra for better comfort.
- Free to wear and easily washable bra.
- Range of colors to choose from.
- Silicone breast inserts come in different shapes.
- Sewing needs some adjustments.
- Padding may cause some discomfort.
You may also like Best Sports Bra for Elderly
#4 Sendyou Women Silicone Breast Prosthesis
This women’s silicon bra is made of silicone breast prosthesis with pocket cotton for breast forms. The bra is specially made as a post-surgery bra for women. The bra is also useful as an everyday bra for women.
The silicone breasts give it a more comforting feeling for the whole day. The healthy cotton material is designed in a way so that it adjusts fully with your body needs.
The front closure and back closure style adds extra comfort while you wear them. Moreover, these bras can match all artificial breast shapes.
The adjustable straps aids in adjusting the bra as per your comfort level. The bra stays up with a firm hold and stands up to whatever workout you throw in its way. The bra works well for a person recovering from breast cancer.
- This silicone bra is best suited for almost all breast sizes.
- Well made, amazing fit bra.
- Back and front closure is created for your comfort.
- Adjustable straps of this silicone bra.
- The bra fits perfectly with different shapes.
- Lightweight silicone breast.
- Suitable for partial mastectomy and a double mastectomy.
- The straps of the bra are not removable.
#5 DELIMIRA Store Full Coverage Bras
This amazing full coverage bra is best to wear before and after surgery. The bra is created for women with breast cancers and bilateral mastectomy.
The bra is made of extra cotton pockets that help to hold the prosthetics in a better way. Moreover, it helps to keep your breasts in a secure form.
This close-fitting and comfortable bra makes women feel confident in their bodies. The bra is made so that you can wear them with full confidence on any occasion.
This mastectomy pocket bra can be worn the whole day comfortably. Lace trimmings and floral embroidery detailing give a feminine touch to this non-padded bra.
The full cups are created to provide maximum coverage. You will feel all-day comfort as the cups are cotton lined. The unlined padding gives you an add-on comfort.
- Cotton pockets hold breast forms securely.
- Adjustable wide straps for a custom fit.
- This non-padded bra perfectly fits the natural shape of your breasts
- Subtle lace trimming.
- Shoulder straps are fully adjustable.
- Under-bands provide full support and stability.
- It may not hold implants well.
- It does not come with padding.
You may also like Must Haves After Mastectomy
#6 BRABIC Store Mastectomy Bra
The BRABIC bra is a post-surgery mastectomy bra designed for women who have any breast procedures.
The bra provides you with lots of conveniences, such as giving a comfortable compression, speeding up your healing process, and better support for your breasts.
This everyday underwear bra is an ideal choice for daily use. This woman’s padded bra features a double-layered soft, stretchy fabric, empty middle cups, and foam pads on each side.
The special design for women post-surgery will provide your breast best and natural coverage. Moreover, it gives you the safe and supportive care you need.
This bra features a high elastic under-bust band with wide shoulder straps. These straps of the bra will provide optimal lift and support for post-surgical healing and better comfort.
It is breathable, healthy, and friendly on your skin. The excellent stitching does not irritate your skin and also prevents marks.
- Super soft and comfortable for whole day wear.
- Straps won’t slip off from the shoulders.
- High elastic under-bust band.
- Three rows of hook eyes on the back help you adjust the tightness.
- Keep your bust well supported.
- Excellent stitching prevents irritation.
- The bra is not good for running purposes.
#7 BIMEI Mastectomy Pocket Bra
This pocket bra is developed to escort women on their journey of healing from breast cancers. The mastectomy bra is quite versatile.
This bra provides a lovely gentle compression to women, while offering a feminine look. The bra stays put with a firm hold and stands up to whatever condition you are in.
The bra is designed for superior shaping with a comfortable strap. It gives a smooth look under your clothes. Its pockets are made of cotton and are skin-friendly. They can be worn for a longer time.
The silicone breast bra is designed in a way to add extra comfort and support. It is stretchy enough to provide comfortable support for natural breasts, healing breasts, and breast forms.
- Great mastectomy bra for better comfort.
- Adjustable straps are useful for tailoring the support level on each side.
- Ideal for reconstruction and any post-recovery surgery.
- Designed for superior shaping.
- Cotton pockets securely hold breast forms.
- One of the best transformational bras.
- The pocket inserts of this bra run a little small.
- The small edging is rough and irritating to sensitive skin.
You may also like What to Wear After a Single Mastectomy?
What should you look for before buying the best bras for mastectomy?
As your shape and cup size may become different after breast surgery, it is good to have your bra size measured correctly before buying a bra. Mastectomy bras are specially designed to fit your breast shape and make you feel comfortable.
A well-fitting bra with a full cup is needed to hold your prosthesis in place. This creates a natural appearance and also keeps the prosthesis strong enough. Mastectomy bras come with optional bra pockets.
Wide, padded straps are better suited. Many mastectomy bras feature them as they are specially created for this purpose.
Centre Front and Under-band
The under-band feature in these mastectomy bras adds more stability as the under-band is created to make you feel safe. It helps the bra stay in place, and it also covers your scar tissues.
Supportive Side Seams
Wide side seams under the arms help to hide the scars. It also helps in adding the overall support to your bra.
You may also like Best Front Close Bra for Elderly
Frequently Asked Questions: Best Bras For Mastectomy
Can I wear a normal bra after a mastectomy?
While you can wear a normal bra or a camisole immediately post-surgery, you may not find it comfortable. Try to wear one without underwire which is soft and comfortable. You should also look for an option wherein you do not have to raise your arms too much to wear the bra.
Does wearing a bra affect breast shape?
A bra holds your breasts to give them the shape you want. Wearing the right size bra gives the perfect shape to the breast by adding comfort and care.
How many mastectomy bras does Medicare cover per year?
Each year in the US, more than 100000 women undergo mastectomy surgery. Generally, Medicare will cover most of the facilities needed after you are diagnosed with cancer.
Medicare Part A will cover surgically implanted prosthesis. Medical part B covers external prostheses as well as special post-surgery bras.
If you are eligible under Medicare, you can get one silicone breast form every two years (2 forms for bilateral surgery), or one Perma-Form Bra every six months, or one foam breast form every six months (2 for bilateral surgery), and as many mastectomy bras as are deemed reasonable and necessary.
By when can I return to normal life after a mastectomy?
While most women return to normal life within 4 weeks, recovery time may take longer if you have undergone breast reconstruction as well. In certain obscure procedures, it can take several months to fully recover. Make sure that you understand the answers to these questions before going into surgery, and prepare a recovery plan for yourself as well..
You may also like Must Haves After Breast Augmentation
Choosing the right bra after breast surgery is a big task. It may take time to recover from the surgery. It takes time for the nerves to repair and tissues to settle down.
It is best to avoid wearing an underwire bra while the area recovers after surgery because it can be uncomfortable. So choosing the right bra is vital.
In this article, we have selected the best mastectomy bras based on the features mentioned in our buyer’s guide and the ratings and comments mentioned by actual users on Amazon.
In our opinion, the Q-T Intimates Molded Cup Mastectomy Bra, Ivory, 38B is the best choice among the various options that we have considered because of 100% breathable and moisture absorbing cotton pockets, and 90% nylon + 10% spandex stretchability with comfort.
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the BRABIC Women Sports Post Surgery Support Mastectomy Bra Padded Wireless Full Figure Beauty Back Wide Straps (Black, S), which offers great value and features at a very reasonable price point.
While we make every effort to provide updated and correct information, the advice given in this article and website should not be construed as “medical advice”. Please consult with your physician or medical practitioner before using any bras for mastectomy. Each individual may have his or her unique issues and your medical practitioner is the best person to decide the best bras for mastectomy for your case.
Are you undergoing or have undergone a mastectomy recently? Read our full coverage on post-recovery care products here: