Coconut products have been at the eye of a storm recently. Let us look at the benefits of coconut oil, coconut milk, coconut water for seniors and their disadvantages as well.
In the last few years, much conflicting evidence has come about regarding coconut-based products and their benefits, especially for older adults. In this article, we will discuss the positives, negatives, and uses of each of these products, especially for seniors.
Coconut oil is a potential healer of various diseases such as heart disorders, diabetes, and even cancer. It comprises saturated fatty acids with only 20-10% of unsaturated fatty acids. It also contains some essential fatty acids, such as omega-6-fatty acids.
Coconut oil is also rich in vitamins and contains alpha-tocopherol(Vitamin-E) and phylloquinone (Vitamin-K). Due to such rich composition, coconut oil has several health benefits for people of all age groups. It is a fantastic dietary addition, especially for seniors.
Benefits Of Coconut Oil For Seniors
- Better Digestion: Coconut oil includes medium-chain triglycerides or MCTs. According to a study, consuming MCTs may increase the number of calories your body burns and aid in weight loss. Consuming MCTs in the morning helps support digestion in seniors.
- Prevent Seizures: Coconut oil helps seniors intake a low-carb diet as it helps prevent seizures. Researchers believe that people experience fewer seizures due to a lack of available glucose that provides energy to brain cells.
- Can Help Cure Diabetes: Dieting with MCTs may help reduce your food intake. It also helps in decreasing hunger. Coconut milk is also a fantastic source of antioxidants and is beneficial for treating people with type 2 diabetes. Antioxidants present in coconut oil are tocotrienols, tocopherols, flavonoids, phytosterols, and polyphenols.
- Can Help Cure Arthritis: Coconut oil helps relieve symptoms of arthritis in seniors as it contains polyphenols that have a potential anti-inflammatory effect. It also helps in reducing swelling from an injury.
- Can Prevent Viral Infections: coconut oil has antiseptic, antiviral, antimicrobial, and anti-inflammatory effects. It helps fight against viral infections by killing bacteria and viruses. According to one study, coconut oil helps reduce mild to moderate symptoms of atopic dermatitis, a chronic skin disease. It may improve your skin barrier function and help it keep moisturized.
- Improves Heart Health: one animal study shows that MCTs present in coconut oil help preserve insulin sensitivity that helps regulate blood sugar. It also helps in reducing cholesterol levels and keeps your heart healthy.
- Improves Kidney Health: Coconut oil has excellent anti-inflammatory properties that help prevent kidney disease and inflammation.
- Improves Dental Health: Some studies show that coconut oil helps people protect themselves from cavities. It also enhances gingivitis and affects the oral bacterial balance.
- Improves Bone Health: Coconut oil contains antioxidant compounds that help maintain bone structure and prevent bone loss in seniors due to hormonal changes.
- May Help Reduce Symptoms of Alzheimer’s: Alzheimer’s disease is common in older people. Coconut oil increases the blood levels of ketones in your body. Researchers said it provides an alternative energy source to the brain and reduces the early signs of Alzheimer’s disease.
Uses Of Coconut Oil For Seniors
- People use coconut oil to control blood sugar as it helps preserve insulin sensitivity.
- Doctors also advise people to use virgin coconut oil to reduce stress due to its excellent antioxidant properties.
- Many people apply effective coconut oil to their hair to protect it from damage and increase its shine.
- People also apply coconut oil to their skin to reduce inflammation and boost skin health.
- People use coconut oil as a mouthwash to boost their dental health.
- Many people also use coconut oil for cooking their food as it helps in weight loss.
Negatives Of Coconut Oil For Seniors
Many studies show the benefits of coconut oil are based on animals or labs; however, it is not fully completed, more evidence is needed. Some evidence shows that consuming too much coconut oil may increase your LDL cholesterol level.
Coconut oil increases total cholesterol than most vegetable oils, and doctors advise people to use coconut oil in moderation.
The American Heart Association advises against using coconut oil for seniors as they are more at risk of heart disease and coconut oil increases bad cholesterol.
Coconut milk manufacturers extract a white, milky substance from the flesh of mature coconuts. Coconut milk is a calorie-rich food as it contains high levels of saturated fat. It also has several health benefits as it is rich in other nutrients such as vitamins and minerals. According to experts, a cup of canned coconut milk contains 445 calories, 4.57 grams of protein, 48.21 grams of fats, 164.71 grams of water, and 6.35 grams of carbohydrates. Coconut milk also contains small amounts of iron, vitamin C, calcium, potassium, and magnesium.
Uses Of Coconut Milk For Seniors
- Seniors use coconut milk to help reduce their body weight. It is an excellent and delicious way to prevent developing obesity in older adults.
- Doctors often suggest older adults add coconut milk to their diet to prevent heart disease. Coconut milk helps increase levels of good cholesterol or high-density lipoprotein cholesterol in your body.
- Older adults use coconut milk to boost their immunity. It contains a lauric acid that supports the immune system of the body.
- People also use coconut milk to reduce inflammation. It is an excellent treatment for reducing inflammation and swelling in injuries.
- Doctors sometimes suggest people use coconut milk to treat stomach ulcers. It helps decrease stomach ulcer size.
- People use coconut in their diet to fight against infection caused by viruses and bacteria.
You should also use coconut milk to receive these advantages. You can add half a cup of coconut milk to your protein shake or smoothie. Try adding a few tablespoons to your cooked cereal.
Benefits Of Coconut Milk For Seniors
It helps in Weight Loss.
Coconut milk contains medium-chain triglycerides or MCTs that are associated with weight loss. According to a study, MCTs may lower the risk of developing obesity. Due to heat production or thermogenesis caused by MCTs, people experience reduced body weight and waist sizes.
According to a 2015 study, overweight people consume less after eating food containing MCTs in the morning. One more study suggests that consuming MCTs maximizes insulin sensitivity, promoting weight loss.
It Boosts Immune System
Many researchers believe that lauric acid found in coconut oil aid the immunity system. Some studies show that lauric acid from coconut has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties.
Some researchers explain that lauric acid helps destroy cells in breast and endometrial cancer cells. It helps cease the growth of cancer cells by stimulating particular receptor proteins associated with regulating the cell growth.
The lauric acid also kills the bacteria and prevents people from developing infections.
It Is Excellent for Heart Health
People often unintentionally follow a diet rich in saturated fat and increase their risk of heart disease. According to a study, coconut milk is high in saturated fat content, but it is beneficial for people with high cholesterol levels. It also increases the amount of HDL or good cholesterol in the older adult’s body. HDL cholesterol removes the LDL cholesterol that is not good for the heart from the body. Coconut milk may not raise your LDL cholesterol level, but you should take it in moderation as it is high in calories.
Negatives Of Coconut Milk For Seniors
Coconut milk is a tasty and nutritious product made from coconut; it provides seniors with many benefits and applications. Some people can also be allergic to coconuts, so they should avoid using these coconut-based products.
Coconut milk can increase your level of good cholesterol as it is rich in calories and saturated fats. However, using too much coconut is not the right choice for anyone. Coconut milk can cause weight gain as it is a rich source of calories.
Coconut milk can also cause the following health problem, including:
- Abdominal pain
- Itching or irritation of the throat, mouth, eyes, or skin
You might also like to read: Which Saturated Fats Are Good For Health?
Coconut water is the best source of nutrition for older adults. Coconut water also has several benefits; one of them is supporting weight loss. It keeps hydrating and contains many minerals that seniors don’t get enough of. It contains primarily water and very little fat. You can receive 60 calories from one cup of coconut water. It contains 15 grams of carbohydrates and 8 grams of sugar. Coconut water contains important minerals, including calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium.
Use Of Coconut Water For Seniors
- People drink coconut water to receive a good source of nutrients like vitamins and minerals. This drink also keeps seniors refreshed and hydrated and is beneficial after prolonged exercise.
- Doctors also advise people with diabetic issues to consume coconut water to moderate their blood sugar.
- People also apply coconut water to their dry skin to nourish and moisturize it. Coconut water is a good source of vitamin C that helps remove pigmentation.
- People use coconut oil for hair loss. Coconut oil contains many vitamins, minerals, and amino acids that help promote cell growth.
- Coconut water helps get rid of hangovers. People often consume it early in the morning to experience its health benefits.
Benefits Of Coconut Water For Seniors
It Has Antioxidant Properties.
Coconut water contains many antioxidants that help you overcome the state of oxidative stress in your body. Antioxidants also help decrease insulin levels, triglycerides, blood pressure with harmful free radicals. According to a study, the antioxidants present in coconut water help modify free radicals and make it suitable for the body.
It Helps With a Secondary Diabetic Condition.
Study shows that coconut water helps reduce blood sugar levels and improve heart health. It helps seniors with diabetes to control their blood sugar levels.
It Helps Prevent Kidney Stones.
Research shows that consumption of coconut water prevents the crystals from sticking to the kidneys.
It Is Good for Heart Health.
Many people drink coconut water after their doctor advises them to reduce their heart disease risk. It reduces bad cholesterol levels.
It Is a Delicious Source of Hydration.
Coconut water is a sweet source of hydration for seniors; it also contains low calories and carbs, making it an ideal beverage to drink after a workout.
Negatives Of Coconut Water For Seniors
Coconut water is a delicious, natural beverage option for seniors. It provides several benefits. However, more controlled studies involving humans are required to confirm the benefits of coconut water.
Too much consumption of coconut water can prove dangerous as it causes laxative effects on your digestive system. Older adults should consume coconut water in moderation. However, people with bowel movement issues should avoid drinking coconut water. Too much coconut water can increase your blood sugar level and increase your chance of developing heart disease.
People vulnerable to coconut allergy also avoid coconut water as it can cause undesirable effects in them.
Answers To More Questions About Coconut Products
Is coconut milk good for the elderly?
Coconut is an excellent milk substitute; it is packed with calories and fats that help lower heart disease and boost immunity in older adults.
What is the best time for seniors to drink coconut water?
Drinking coconut water early in the morning is an excellent choice as it helps promote weight loss and boost immunity.
What happens when elderly people drink coconut water on an empty stomach?
Drinking coconut water early in the morning, especially on an empty stomach, helps kick-start your metabolism. It contains lauric acid that aids in digestion, weight loss and improves immunity.
Is coconut water good for seniors?
Seniors should drink coconut water to enjoy its benefits. It is a good choice for seniors as it is sweet, low in calories, rich in potassium, and keeps older adults hydrated.
Does coconut water have the same benefits as coconut oil?
Coconut water contains 94% water, easily digested carbohydrates, and small amounts of fat. On the other hand, coconut oil has about 50% water with high-fat content. However, both have similar benefits.
You might also like to read: Coconut Palm Sugar – A Healthier Choice?
Much conflicting evidence on the benefits of coconut oil, coconut milk, and coconut water for elderly people’s health exists. However, the AHA advises consuming them to reduce the risk of heart disease. You should consume coconut-based foods in moderation to avoid increasing heart disease.
Coconut milk is more nutritious than coconut oil and coconut water; however, coconut oil has more applications. Consider coconut water when looking for coconut-based products with less fat and more water content.
We hope this article has helped you make up your mind about the benefits of coconut based products. If you have comments, queries or suggestions to make about these products, we welcome you to share them with us in the comments section below.