When you have to work long hours, you should always look for lumbar support, especially if you have scoliosis. We found the best office chairs for scoliosis below, and our top three choices are in the table that follows.
If you have scoliosis but get no time for rest during office hours, then a chair with lumbar support is the best for you. Scoliosis pain can be severe at times, and it can become worse with a lack of comfort. Hence all you need is a chair with lumbar support to sit comfortably during office hours.
The market is filled with options, and almost every brand promises to offer lumbar support. But not every chair can offer you the right lumbar support.
In this article, we have selected the six best office chairs for scoliosis after going through 25 to 30 chairs and spending almost a week literally sitting in them!
All these chairs are made of sturdy material, offering lumbar support and comfort. Their parts are mostly adjustable and come with 5-star swivel wheels for enhanced movement.
In this review we will talk about:
- What to look for in your office chair
- Answers to commonly asked questions
- Reviews of 6 great products for you to choose from
What To Look For In An Office Chair If You Have Scoliosis
It is imperative to check the material of the chair before you proceed to buy one. Look for a chair made of sturdy materials such as stainless steel, metal, and alloy. A good material ensures the strength of the chair and enhances its weight-bearing capacity.
A chair that offers maximum comfort is good for people who have scoliosis. Look for a chair seat made of breathable mesh fabric for comfort.
Also, check the seat’s design for more comfort. A seat with a W design centrally places your body on the chair and ensures you sit in an upright posture.
In scoliosis, your movement might be limited; hence you should look for an office chair with swivel wheels to move around without discomfort. Office chairs come with 5-star swivel wheel designs with sturdy casters made of either PU or nylon material.
These materials easily help you move around on carpet or wooden floors without creating much noise and damaging the floor.
Some office chairs’ backrests have an S shape or are designed to provide lumbar support. Hence look for a chair that offers this feature. A chair with adequate lumbar support is essential for enhanced back support and alleviating some pain caused due to scoliosis.
Chairs with adjustable features and great for people with scoliosis. Before buying a chair, make sure its backrest, armrest, height, and headrest are adjustable. It will be easy for you to adjust the chair as per your needs whenever necessary for some extra comfort.
Answers To Some Common Questions About Scoliosis and Office Chairs
Do ergonomic chairs help scoliosis?
While good posture is essential and can help you reduce back pains, an ergonomic office chair for scoliosis will help you alleviate the pain temporarily. Also, the chair’s height should be designed in a way that can be easily adjusted as per the user’s need to help alleviate pain.
What is the best sitting position for scoliosis?
Sitting on a regular chair or a chair that does not offer lumbar support for long hours can be painful. Hence use a chair that offers lumbar support. Try to sit with your knees slightly lower than your hips. Keep feet flat on the floor and shoulder-width apart.
Try not to sit for too long at any one time as it may aggravate the pain. It would help if you also aimed to sit in chairs offering lower back support and armrests. It is best if you move every 30 minutes for 5 minutes.
Can I do push-ups with scoliosis?
One of the best treatments for reducing pressure on your spine is a core workout. However, all core strength exercises may not be your cup of tea if you have scoliosis. Sit-ups, push-ups and pull-ups are a strict no-no. These exercises involve straining and arching your spine unnaturally which can cause more harm than good.
Instead you can try non-traditional exercises such as crunches, squats and exercise balls, because these will involve keeping your spine straight instead of curving it.
#1 Furmax Office Mid Back Lumbar Support Chair: Overall Best Chair
- Material: 9.8/10
- Comfort: 9.6/10
- Swivel Wheels: 9.7/10
- Lumbar support: 9.6/10
- Adjustability: 9.7/10
- Frame material: Plastic
- Overall Dimensions: 23.2″D x 11″W x 22.8″H
- Weight capacity: 265 pounds
- Seat Fabric: Breathable mesh
- This Furmax chair comes with a comfortable, breathable fabric.
- It can carry a weight upto 265lbs.
- The wheels can help the chair rotate 360 degrees.
- It even has a fashionable appearance making your home or office look better with its addition.
- Not suitable for overweight users.
The chair has an ergonomic design known to best support the human body, including considerations like posture, comfort, support, and health. Hence the chair is most suitable for people with scoliosis.
Watch a great review of this product here:
Features in Detail
- Material: The material used is mesh as well as sponge makes the seat more comfortable. The seat is filled with high-density sponges making the chair quite strengthful. Also, the sponge used is of high quality, which does not easily get deformed. The frame is made of high-quality plastic material, which can bear 265 pounds of weight easily.
- Comfort: The seat is made up of a soft cushion. It even tilts up to 130 degrees which makes it easier to relax back. The fabric used is quite breathable so that people can sit on this chair for long hours continuously. Also, the two plastic lumbar supports behind the backrest offers ample support to your spine.
- Swivel Wheels: The wheels are designed in such a way that it allows 360-degree swivel. The swivel casters are made from good PU material. It is made up of PU, so it can easily be moved from one place to another on wooden floorings. Also, these are quite noiseless and floor-friendly while moving.
- Lumbar support: The two plastic lumbar support behind the backrest offers ample support to your spine, making it perfect for people with scoliosis. These chairs offer a tilt mechanism. The seat can easily be tilted back and front, making it easy for people to relax with scoliosis.
- Adjustability: Adjustable seat height is one great advantage of this chair, as one can easily adjust the seat height while sitting. The height can be either lifted up or down with a handle under the chair. It can be adjusted according to different desk heights wherever required.
#2 Flash Furniture Mid-Back Office Chair: Best Overall Body Support
- Material: 9.5/10
- Comfort: 9.4/10
- Swivel Wheels: 9.3/10
- Lumbar support: 9.5/10
- Adjustability: 9.4/10
- Frame material: Commercial grade material
- Overall Dimensions: 25.5″D x 24.5″W x 41.25″H
- Weight capacity: 250 pounds
- Seat Fabric: breathable mesh
- The chair gives maximum lumbar support.
- The Chair can easily be moved from one place to another using swivel wheels.
- The mesh backrest makes it quite breathable.
- Height and tilt can be easily adjusted using height and tilt levers.
- These chairs do not offer padded armrests.
These are quite comfortable to use whether it is an office or your home. The chair is easy to maintain. One need not worry about the stain of coffee or tea as this mesh office chair support cleans easily with solvent.
This is an in-depth review of the product:
Features in Detail
- Material: The material used in this chair is mesh which is quite transparent and breathable. The mesh lets the air in through the back and even allows air to circulate, which keeps the person sitting on the chair quite cool.
- Comfort: The backrest is made of mesh material with built-in lumbar support for maximum comfort of scoliosis patients. Its padded flip-up armrests relieve pressure from your shoulders and neck. The armrest can even be lifted to 90 degrees so that you can comfortably move it and sit closer to your desk.
- Swivel Wheels: The chair comes with a heavy-duty base and dual caster wheels, which are specially designed to increase stability and ease movement.
- Lumbar support: The back support provided in the chair helps to improve one’s posture and even helps prevent back strain and muscle soreness. The ergonomic mesh of the back provides lumbar support allowing one to sit for hours.
- Adjustability: The chair can be adjusted and locked in an upright position through its tilt lock mechanism. The armrest can be lifted to 90 degrees if needed. The tilt mechanism helps in tilting the chair in a backward position according to the angle required. The height adjustment lever allows one to adjust the seat height according to the user’s stature.
#3 Gabrylly Ergonomic Mesh Office Chair: Best For Tall Users
- Material: 8.9/10
- Comfort: 8.8/10
- Swivel Wheels: 8.7/10
- Lumbar support: 8.6/10
- Adjustability: 8.7/10
- Frame material: High-quality plastic and alloy
- Dimensions: 22″D x 25.2″W x 45.3″H
- Weight capacity: 280 pounds
- Seat Fabric: Mesh
- It provides four supporting points: head, back, hips, hands.
- The backrest, headrest, armrest, and seat heights are easily adjustable.
- Suitable for people of about 5’5″ to 6’2″.
- It has breathable and cool mesh, signifying a good quality.
- Not meant for people with wider hips.
- Initially, the caster wheels might need oiling for swivel.
If you are more than 6′ tall, then this chair is just for you. This ergonomically designed chair is suitable for people of about 5’5″ to 6’2″. Hence if you are tall, you can use this chair for added comfort and sitting upright.
You can watch how to put this chair together here:
Features in Detail
- Material: The frame material of the chair is high-quality plastic and alloy metal which gives it strength. The back and seat are both made up of mesh, and it keeps the air circulating, which makes it more relaxing to use. The high-quality mesh resists abrasion and transformation. One can easily sit on this chair for 4 to 8 hours continuously in a day.
- Comfort: This chair is larger than other chairs; therefore, it can accommodate people of different shapes and sizes. The frame of the chair is quite sturdy, which makes it more comfortable and long-lasting. Also, the adjustable features add to the user’s comfort.
- Swivel Wheels: The wheels are made up of Pu material. That means it can easily roll around on wooden or carpet flooring without any harm. Also, it allows the chair to roll silently in offices and even at home.
- Lumbar support: The backrest offers maximum lumbar support to users with scoliosis. The chair is ergonomically built, and it provides four supporting points, i.e., head, back, hips, hands, and good lumbar support. The tilt mechanism allows one to easily tilt the backrest from 90 to 120 degrees of angle or sit straight comfortably.
- Adjustability: The chair’s seat height, backrest and headrest, and armrests are adjustable. One can flip up its arms to meet the required needs.
You might like to read: Best Back Brace For Scoliosis
#4 SIHOO Office Chair With Lumbar Support: Best For Upright Postures
- Material: 8.5/10
- Comfort: 8.4/10
- Swivel Wheels: 8.3/10
- Lumbar support: 8.2/10
- Adjustability: 8.3/10
- Frame material: Plastic and stainless steel
- Overall Dimensions: 27.52″D x 27.52″W x 42.09″H
- Weight capacity: 330 pounds
- Seat Fabric: Breathable mesh
- This chair offers headrest, armrest, backrest, and height adjustments.
- Chair legs are made up of stainless steel material, making them more stable.
- The premium backrest with mesh fabric is flexible.
- W-shaped seat design ensures you sit centrally.
- The waterfall front ensures minimum pressure on your legs.
- The chairs do not have an S-shaped back, making it difficult to lay down for long hours.
- It may not be easy to rotate the chair at times.
The seat of the chair comes in a W shape. W shape ensures that you sit on the center of the chair without tilting left or right. The W shape helps you attain an upright posture, especially when you have pain due to scoliosis.
If you buy this chair, the video below will help you put it together in a jiffy
Features in Detail
- Material: The frame is made of plastic and stainless steel that ensures durability. And ensures its high weight-bearing capacity. The seat material used in the chair is mesh fabric. Mesh office chairs offer a cool feeling and give one a comfortable sitting experience.
- Comfort: This chair is most comfortable as it offers adjustments of all sorts. High-density sponge-filled cushion is soft and not easily deformed. It even supports a weight of up to 330 pounds, making it quite reliable for people with heavy body weight.
- Swivel Wheels: This chair has 5-star swivel wheels, which one can rotate according to their preference and comfort level.
- Lumbar support: The chair offers a 125° maximum tilt angle, allowing you to lie down and rest. The backrest is designed in S shape, which gives a good level of lumbar support, making it easy to sit and work. It also has a W-type sponge to sit, which again provides added back support.
- Adjustability: This chair offers many adjustable features as it allows sitting comfortably in the desired position for a long time. It offers adjustable back support, headrest adjustment can be made, tilt seat adjustments, height adjustment, and armrests can be adjusted according to one’s comfort.
#5 Yaheetech Office Chair Ergonomic Mesh Chair: Most Affordable Chair
- Material: 8.1/10
- Comfort: 8.3/10
- Swivel Wheels: 7.8/10
- Lumbar support: 7.9/10
- Adjustability: 8/10
- Frame material: Plastic, mesh, and alloy
- Dimensions: 23.6″D x 24″W x 38.2″H
- Weight capacity: less than 200 pounds
- Seat Fabric: mesh material
- This chair has a density foam that means one can sit comfortably.
- It offers comfortable armrests getting one rid of the fatigue.
- Designed with human-oriented ergonomic construction.
- A larger seat size makes it more comfortable.
- Not meant for heavy-weight users.
- It is not for very tall users.
If you have long legs, then this chair is just for you. You can easily adjust the seat’s height as per your requirements. The chair comes with a locking mechanism that helps to adjust the seat’s height from 12.4″ to 16.3″.
Here is Yaheetech’s official guide for putting together their chairs:
Features in Detail
- Material: This chair is a mesh chair that offers to cool and allows airflow across it. The seat is padded, which allows breathability and is thick and resilient. It is made up of high-quality sponge and breathable mesh clothes, keeping your body sweat-free. The overall body is made of plastic and alloy metal which ensures its durability.
- Comfort: The chair is designed so that it is known for its ergonomic construction and streamlined armrests, which allows one to fit the curves of your arms which automatically makes you feel comfortable in doing your work. Its mechanisms keep the back upright, take care of your lumbar spine, help prevent back strain and muscle fatigue.
- Swivel Wheels: It has solid rolling PU casters, which are good for office use. The wheels rotate 360 degrees which allow easier and quick movement. They provide great mobility, are suitable for hard floors, carpet, and more while being silent during swiveling and moving without scratching your floor surface.
- Lumbar support: The locking mechanism in this chair helps adjust the height from 12.4″ to 16.3″. Therefore it allows one to keep the back upright and takes care of your lumbar spine.
- Adjustability: The adjustable feature offered by this chair is the reclining of the chair. One can easily recline the chair and the knob below to the maximum angle required.
You might like to read: Best Posture Corrector For Scoliosis
#6 Office Star Mesh Back Lumbar Support Managers Chair: For Extra Breathability
- Material: 7.5/10
- Comfort: 7.4/10
- Swivel Wheels: 7.3/10
- Lumbar support: 7.5/10
- Adjustability: 7.4/10
- Frame material: Metal, Nylon, Mesh
- Dimensions: 26.5″D x 27″W x 41.25″H
- Weight capacity: 250 pounds
- Seat Fabric: Mesh
- This chair helps in preventing back and circulatory issues.
- It offers durability and comfortness.
- It is built in such a way that it relieves back and joint pain.
- Not very comfortable for long hours.
- Needs regular maintenance.
These chairs are quite comfortable for sitting and relaxing as they offer good quality fabric and adjustable features, making them convenient.
Watch it here:
Features in Detail
- Material: This chair is designed with a nylon frame brace and a mesh screen back that gives a framework to the curves of your spine with built-in lumbar support.
- Comfort: This chair is comfortable as the fabric makes one sit in a relaxing mode. Since it also offers adjustability of the height, it becomes more comfortable to sit along with your desk.
- Swivel Wheels: The chair has a heavy-duty base with silver accents and dual wheel carpet casters, making it easier to revolve the chair from one place to another.
- Lumbar support: This chair has a breathable mesh seat and back with built-in lumbar support, making it comfortable for sitting and relaxing.
- Adjustability: This chair allows one to adjust the height of the seat with just one touch. It also has padded arms that can be flipped. One can have full control over the chair with 2-1 syncro locking tilt control.
Best Office Chair For Scoliosis: My Top 3
For scoliosis exercise, medical observation, scoliosis-specific physical therapy, and chiropractic treatment from a chiropractic scoliosis specialist are the best.
It is also imperative to sit upright in the correct posture for scoliosis. Hence a chair with adequate back support, armrest, adjustable height, and lumbar support is a must.
Above we have selected the top six chairs for scoliosis, but if you want to know our top 3 recommendations then here you go!
The best option is the Furmax Office Mid Back Lumbar Support Chair.
This is because the chair has an ergonomic design known to best support the human body, including considerations like posture, comfort, support, and health. Hence the chair is most suitable for people with scoliosis.
The Flash Furniture Mid-Back Office Chair is another great choice. The back support provided in the chair helps to improve one’s posture and even helps prevent back strain and muscle soreness.
The ergonomic mesh of the back provides lumbar support allowing one to sit for hours.
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the Yaheetech Office Chair Ergonomic Mesh Chair. This chair is a mesh chair that offers to cool and allows airflow across it. The seat is padded, which allows breathability and is thick and resilient.
It is made up of high-quality sponge and breathable mesh clothes, keeping your body sweat-free. The overall body is made of plastic and alloy metal which ensures its durability.