We have reviewed the best zero gravity chairs for seniors. If you are in a hurry, the table below gives a quick snapshot of the top 6.
Zero gravity chairs are designed to put your body in a neutral position where the feet are in line with the heart. When reclining in such a chair, you can experience a weightless feeling, like how astronauts do in space.
This eliminates the constant pressure that gravity places on your joints, bones and muscles, spine, back, legs, and hips. This is especially important for seniors, who are more prone to pain in these muscles and joints due to old age.
We have selected three normal and three oversized chairs so that you can choose as per your requirement. So, let us check out the best zero gravity chairs for seniors.
Our Top Choice (Regular) – Best Choice Zero Gravity Chair
The Best Choice Products Set of 2 Adjustable Steel Mesh Zero Gravity Lounge Chair Recliners w/Pillows and Cup Holder Trays, Brown is our top choice for regular-sized zero gravity chairs for seniors.
This lightweight chair comes in a compact foldable design, making it easy to carry for outdoor fun. The chair glides smoothly into zero gravity position with a freely adjustable back and footrest. Its best features are:
- Freely adjustable back and footrest – you can choose to be in the zero-g position or recline at an angle that’s comfortable for you.
- It’s compact and foldable. You can take it to the park with you to the park or the beach. It weighs only 16 pounds.
- It has a detachable holding tray for your phone or coffee.
- There is a nice padded headrest that can even be adjusted to your height.
- It has a heavy-duty steel frame with comfortable and elastic textile fabric.
- It can easily hold upto 250 pounds; its dimensions are : 32.5-61 inch (L) x 25 inch (W) x 33.5-44 inch (H).
Our Top Choice (Oversized)- EVER ADVANCED Zero Gravity Chair
The EVER ADVANCED Oversize XL Zero Gravity Recliner Padded Patio Lounger Chair with Adjustable Headrest Support 350lbs (Green) is our top choice for oversized zero gravity chairs for seniors. Its dimensions are 29.5 inches (L) x 32 inches (W) x 45 inches (H), the seat is 21 inches wide, and the seatback is 30 inches tall. The wide and tall frame makes it comfortable for oversized users. It can carry upto a weight of 350 pounds. Some other features:
- When fully reclined, the chair has a length of 72 inches, large enough for taller people.
- It folds easily, and despite the bigger build, weighs only 20 pounds, so it’s easy to carry the chair around.
- The recliner is smooth and adjusts anywhere between 0 to 170 degrees so that you can set it as per your favorite position.
- It has got comfortable padded seating. This is a very distinct feature of the chair. For most other chairs, you have to buy your own seating pad/cushion.
- An adjustable and extra padded headrest (when you really want to take a nap!)
- It’s got a nice detachable side tray for your drink or to hold your phone.
Best Zero Gravity Chairs For Seniors (Regular Sized)
#1 Best Choice Zero Gravity Chair
The Best Choice Zero Gravity chair is an ideal chair for seniors. The chair is compact and foldable and is easy to carry for outdoor activities. This chair glides smoothly into zero gravity position with its removable elastic cords that are adjustable as per body weight.
The chair features a removable tray with a cup and phone holder in-built so that users can keep their drinks and phone/tablet while relaxing in it.
The chair has a freely adjustable reclining back and footrest, which can be put into the desired angle for maximum comfort. Moreover, it has a padded headrest that can be adjusted as per the user’s need.
This chair is made with a heavy-duty steel frame and textile fabric for better comfort while sitting. It can hold a weight of up to 250 pounds.
- The compact foldable chair is lightweight and easy to carry on outdoor activities like going out on a camping, sitting out at the park, or the beach.
- The chair has a tray built-in with a cup, and a phone holder allows users to keep their valuables while relaxing in the chair.
- The tray is removable so that the chair be compactly folded and kept away when not in use.
- It has removable elastic cords that adjust as per your body weight.
- The back and footrest of the chair are freely adjustable up to 160 degrees. You can put it into a zero-gravity position or relax in a regular sitting or slight reclining position.
- The chair has a padded headrest to give support to your head. You can adjust its height as per your own.
- The chair is made with a heavy-duty steel frame and textile fabric. The steel construction makes the chair durable, and the textile fabric is good for breathability and comfort.
- The chair can hold upto 250 pounds of weight.
- As per some users, the metal bar started rusting despite being made of steel.
#2 Caravan Company Zero Gravity Chair
The Caravan Company zero gravity chair is designed for its user’s comfort. It’s back and leg rests can recline upto a comfortable angle to put you in a zero-gravity position. It also has a new locking system that can be operated by inserting your fingertip once you are comfortable, which makes it very easy to operate.
The zero gravity chair is completely foldable and, therefore, easily portable. Users can take them on outdoor activities as they are easy to carry around. This zero gravity position of the chair helps seniors because it helps reduce pressure on their back, leg, and hips. The chair has an adjustable headrest and lumbar support as well, which gives complete comfort to its user when reclining on the chair.
It is made with durable Textilene fabric and a powder-coated steel frame, which makes the chair both comfortable as well as durable. The chair can support a weight of up to 300 pounds.
- Easy to use dual fingertip locking system for locking in a comfortable angle of recline.
- Foldable and, therefore, easily portable chair for outdoor activities.
- Freely reclining back and leg support, which helps users reach the best comfortable position for them.
- Adjustable headrest and lumbar support.
- Durable powder-coated steel frame and comfortable Textaline fabric build.
- Can support a weight of up to 300 pounds.
- According to some users, the armrest may give imbalance problems after a point.
You might also be interested in reading: What Is The Best Chair For Elderly?
#3 PHI VILLA Zero Gravity Chair
The chair is made with oxford fabric and heavy-duty steel frame, it is one of the sturdiest ones in our lineup. It is designed to hold upto a weight capacity of about 300 pounds.
It has nice features such as an easy clip-based locking recline, which is better than the twist knobs based locks which are difficult to operate. A word on the recline as well – you can go back as far as upto 168 degrees. You cant lie flat, but 168 degrees put you in a full zero-g mode with your legs above your heart, making it very comfortable.
The seat is padded by a double bungee system to make it a lot more comfortable than regular textile fabric. There is a cup tray included for you to keep your phone or drink.
This chair is compact and foldable, which makes it easy to transport. You can take it to the poolside or beach, or even to the nearby park in the summer.
Here we have a video featuring PHI VILLA Zero Gravity Chair.
- It is designed with a reclining system that can be adjusted upto 168 degrees.
- The recliner’s lock is a clip-based one, instead of the twist knob locks, which can be tough on your fingers.
- The chair is sturdy. It is made with oxford fabric and has a heavy-duty steel frame designed to hold a weight of up to 300 pounds.
- The chair is compact and foldable, so it is easy to transport.
- It includes a cup tray is also included where people can keep their stuff.
- A few users mentioned that the chair is not very sturdy, so you may want to avoid putting more than the recommended amount of weight on it.
Best Zero Gravity Chairs For Seniors (Oversized)
#4 Caravan Canopy Oversized Zero Gravity Chair
The Caravan Canopy Zero Gravity Chair is perfect for oversized users. It has a 5.3 inch extra width on the seat and can accommodate a weight of upto 330 pounds.
It is portable (only weighs 18pounds) and comfortable. It folds easily and into a small size, so you can put it in the back of your trunk and go to your outdoor activities.
It features an improved locking system that uses a dual fingertip lock rather than those nasty twist knobs, which are difficult to turn with weaker fingers. The chair can lock in any desired position so that your legs are elevated, thereby reducing pressure on the back.
The chair also has an adjustable headrest and lumbar support. It is made with durable fabric and a powder-coated steel frame, making it strong and sturdy.
- The chair is 5.3 inches wider than normal ones and holds up to 330 pounds of weight, with 64.5 inches when opened. It is perfectly sized for plus-sized users.
- The oversized chair is lightweight (18 pounds) and easy to carry.
- This foldable chair is easy to take on outdoor activities. Its folding dimensions are 38.6 x 31.7 x 6.9 inches.
- It features an improved locking system with fingertip locks instead of twist knobs.
- There are adjustable headrest and lumbar support as well.
- This chair is strong and sturdy as it is made with durable fabric and a powder-coated steel frame.
- The chair can hold up to 350 pounds.
- A few users reported that they had trouble with making adjustments in the chair.
You might also be interested in reading: Best Recliner Chairs For Seniors
#5 EVER ADVANCED Zero Gravity Recliner
This is an ideal zero gravity chair for accommodating tall or heavy people. Its dimensions are 29.5 inch L x 32 inch W x 45 inch H, with seat back height of 30 inches and seat width of 21 inches, making it wide and tall enough for even the largest of users. It can hold upto a weight of 350 pounds.
This is a sturdy chair made with a heavy-duty steel frame with a double cord suspension system that distributes the user’s weight.
It is a nice zero gravity chair as the recliner adjusts from 0-170 degrees, giving you complete ease to recline in your perfect position. It is designed with a clip locking system, which is much easier to work with than the usual twist knobs that are hard to turn, especially with weaker fingers.
The chair features a full padding seat with an adjustable padded pillow for the headrest. It also has a similar pillow for lumbar support as well. Under the right armrest, there is an attached side table that lets users keep phones while relaxing. Further, this gravity chair is easy to fold and has a compact structure, making it suitable for any outdoor activity.
- Oversized dimensions, wider and taller seat.
- Heavy-duty steel frame with a double cord suspension system that allows distributing the weight evenly.
- A clip-based locking system to lock the chair in any position. People can adjust it from 0-170 degrees as per their preferences.
- Under the right armrest, there is an attached side table that lets people keep their items.
- Ergonomically designed to hold the weight capacity up to 350 pounds.
- This gravity chair is easy to fold and has a compact structure, making it suitable for outdoor activity.
- Full padding seat with an adjustable padded pillow for headrest and lumbar support.
- Some users mentioned that the chair is not very sturdy, so avoid putting more than the recommended weight on it.
You might also be interested in reading: Best Beach Chair For Elderly
#6 Timber Ridge Gravity Chair
This is another strong oversized zero-g chair made with a sturdy steel tube frame and an elastic cord and durable polyester fabric. It can support up to 350 pounds, and the reclined length of this chair is 72 inches, which is large enough for even plus sized users.
The chair features an adjustable locking mechanism using a lever lock, which can be adjusted in any position between o and 170 degrees.
The full padding seat with a removable pillow helps in giving full lumbar support. The natural wood armrest on this recliner provides a zero-gravity weightless experience. The chair is easily foldable because of its compact design.
- It is an oversized chair.
- It is made with a sturdy steel tube frame with elastic cord and durable polyester fabric.
- It can support weight up to 350 pounds.
- The full padding seat with a removable pillow helps in giving full lumbar support.
- Lever locks can be adjusted in any position as it has an adjustable locking mechanism.
- The natural wood armrest on this recliner provides a zero-gravity weightless experience.
- The chair is easily foldable because of its compact design.
- Rough usage or more than the recommended weight on the chair can lead it to break
What should you look for before buying a zero gravity chair for seniors?
Zero gravity chairs are meant for relaxation, and people like to carry them along when going to the beach, the park, or the poolside. If you are buying a chair for a senior person, you have to be extra careful to buy something that is not too heavy to carry it along with them. See our review on the best lightweight portable chair for seniors.
Most zero gravity chairs can recline freely between 0 to 170 degrees. Free reclining chairs are better since you can lock them in the most comfortable position for you. There are some graded reclining chairs as well in the market, but we would suggest you choose a free reclining one.
Many older chairs have twist knob locking systems, which are difficult to operate, especially for seniors. Choose a chair that has a twist-lock or a dual fingertip based locking mechanism.
You might also be interested in reading: Best Exercise Balls To Sit On At Work
Frequently Asked Questions
Do zero gravity chairs work?
Yes, zero gravity chairs work. The concept of a zero gravity chair is to put you in a position where there is zero impact of gravity on your spine, back, and legs, and these parts of the body are suspended freely so that they are in a natural position.
By doing this, these chairs give a chance for these vital parts of the body to take a break from the usual stress and pressure that we exert on them. It helps to alleviate pain and soreness in them.
Can I sit upright in a zero gravity chair?
Yes, you can sit upright in a zero gravity chair. Most zero gravity chairs can recline anywhere between 0 to 170 degrees, so you can adjust the amount of recline that you want.
Is sleeping in a zero gravity chair good?
Zero gravity chairs are designed to create a position that promotes deep relaxation with zero pressure on the muscles. Also, these chairs give better posture, which helps your body feel relaxed and comfortable. Therefore, there is no harm in sleeping in such a comfortable position.
You might also be interested in reading: Best Giant Bean Bag Chairs
Zero gravity chairs give amazing health benefits. These chairs ensure the body stays in the correct natural curvature. They help reduce stress and pressure on the back, legs, and thighs.
In this article, we have selected the Best Zero Gravity Chairs For Seniors based on the features mentioned in our buyer’s guide and the ratings and comments mentioned by actual users on Amazon.
In our opinion, the Best Choice Products Set of 2 Adjustable Steel Mesh Zero Gravity Lounge Chair Recliners w/Pillows and Cup Holder Trays, Brown is the best choice among the various options that we have considered because it is ideal for seniors and rich in other features.
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the Caravan Sports Infinity Oversized Zero Gravity Chair, Beige, which offers great value and features at a very reasonable price point.
For more comfortable outdoor chairs for seniors, indulge in reading our review on Best Outdoor Senior-Friendly Outdoor Chaise Lounge.
Sleeping in a recliner chair has its pros and cons. Learn here the Dangers of Sleeping in a Recliner Chair.